Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester Utd (H) 14th January 2006 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:I will make a comment, I thought that this was an important game for us. Now we are closer to the drop zone than the play-offs and with a few difficult games coming up it makes the next game just as important as the last. I am VERY VERY worried.

No need to be worried, if we play like that with an out-and-out scorer on the pitch then we have no chance of being dragged into a relegation battle.
But I'll agree, a striker who can 'buy a ticket' (and that is not in a million years Atieno) and get into the right positions is essential. Constable will get there eventually, but we need an out and out scorer now.

We shouldn't even be thinking that we're in a relegation battle. Our squad with someone like Phil Parkinson as manager would be Top 4 without question.

Our squad playing like they did for an hour today for any length of time, even under Paul Merson, would be in the Top 4 without question.

Who moved the goalposts?

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:
wfc_2uk wrote:I will make a comment, I thought that this was an important game for us. Now we are closer to the drop zone than the play-offs and with a few difficult games coming up it makes the next game just as important as the last. I am VERY VERY worried.

No need to be worried, if we play like that with an out-and-out scorer on the pitch then we have no chance of being dragged into a relegation battle.
But I'll agree, a striker who can 'buy a ticket' (and that is not in a million years Atieno) and get into the right positions is essential. Constable will get there eventually, but we need an out and out scorer now.

We shouldn't even be thinking that we're in a relegation battle. Our squad with someone like Phil Parkinson as manager would be Top 4 without question.

Our squad playing like they did for an hour today for any length of time, even under Paul Merson, would be in the Top 4 without question.

But we're 16th in an awful league!!!! Why? I agree if we play like that week in, week out we'll have a good side but we should be Play Offs already - not in 16th!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:17 pm

sid swifty wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
dler wrote:I think we stand a good chance of winning this one. :o
ok then,you sound as if you know what your talking about so i'll say 4-1 to walsall :shock:

Well I'm going to stick my neck out and go for 5-0 to the lads!!!
you dont fancy a little wager on the side do you saigon...?....just to make it interesting... 8) ive got £50 that says 4-1 to walsall and the scorers will be buckley (2) kirby & taylor :D

Nah, I'd be taking your money mate - that Buckley couldn't score in a brothel and hasn't got any guts...... :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

I disagree Jorge. OK we was much better than recent weeks but could it be any worse? We lacked organisation! At times Smith looked unsure where he was playing and then the change of Standing for Timm more or less killed the game. We shouldnt think were in a relegation battle BUT WE ARE. 6 points off the drop with a tough away game coming up. We all remember what happened last season and we had a striker then.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Smith impressed me a lot today with his vision & his passing acuracy. Apart from the fact that we need a striker, one other thing was clear from today's performance - MARK WRIGHT IS A WEAK LINK IN THE TEAM. Hardly anyone else seems to recognise this as he always 'works hard' and he's quite quick, but the fact of the matter is, we concede too many corners, and too much possession down his side of the field. Which side of the field did both their goals come from today - our right! I hear people having a go at Pead, but it's not his fault he's left to mark 2 players as Wright can't defend. I thought Pead coped quite well considering the circumstances. I just hope Merson sees sense and plays James on the right when he gets the oppertunity.
I totally agree with cheesebag saying we played well today and booing was uneccessary, but Colchester showed how simple it is to be successful in this league - I think they must have used 'Mike Newell's step-by-step guide to getting out of league one' as they play just like Luton did last year.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I think they must have used 'Mike Newell's step-by-step guide to getting out of league one' as they play just like Luton did last year.

Lets hope more managers use Merse's step by step guide of getting out of league one. Then we might not be the only relegation contenders.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:34 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:You dont go nowhere in this elague without a 20 goal a season striker and considering we have sold ours we need to get on in ASAP. We made enough chances but just didnt have a striker to put it in the net. Colchester are the most organised side I have seen at Bescot this season so therefore I hope they go up, reminded me of the Graydon-esque team plenty of fight and a very formidable defence.

I will make a comment, I thought that this was an important game for us. Now we are closer to the drop zone than the play-offs and with a few difficult games coming up it makes the next game just as important as the last. I am VERY VERY worried.

iv'e been worried since we threw away a two goal lead against chesterfield
when will our manager and team realise a game last for 90 odd minutes

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:39 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: Colchester showed how simple it is to be successful in this league - I think they must have used 'Mike Newell's step-by-step guide to getting out of league one' as they play just like Luton did last year.

Spot on. Brentford are another example of what power and height can achieve in this division. By contrast our team looked flashy and lightweight. Pretty, but not direct enough. We are waiting for a big target man up front.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:We'll win. I just have a good feeling. 3-1 to us!

I await this post to be quoted back at 6:00 pm on Saturday after a humiliating drubbing. :(

Anything to oblige (apologies for the tardiness).
Last edited by kevin on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:50 pm

kevin wrote:

I await this post to be quoted back at 6:00 pm on Saturday after a humiliating drubbing. :(

Anything to oblige

SS beat you to it at 6:05 pm kevin :wink:

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Just got back,and to put in a nutshell I feel gutted and cheated,Colchester had two chances and scored of them both,whilst there penalty area led a charmed life all match,I still do not know how we lost.the three new signing all played very well,but I thought Grant Smith was outstanding man of the match for me.but we do need 2 new strikers very quickly.to put these chances away.Walsall were by far the better team and with a couple of decent strikers could have had 3 or 4 goals,but its not all doom and gloom we played better today than I'v seen all season and we now have the makings of a very good side,just a couple of more pieces will complete the jig-saw,then whate I saw today it will onwards and upwards,good to see some of the missing fans come back today 5,400 I think,at least they must have seen enough to encourage them to keep coming back,surely the team will not be this unlucky again.Finally I thought PM,s substitutions did not help things,at the time he made the Ist one I thought it was only a matter of time b4 we scored. but the we outplayed a team that had only lost once in 13 matches was very encouraging. :cry: :cry:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:52 pm

King Crimson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote: Colchester showed how simple it is to be successful in this league - I think they must have used 'Mike Newell's step-by-step guide to getting out of league one' as they play just like Luton did last year.

Spot on. Brentford are another example of what power and height can achieve in this division. By contrast our team looked flashy and lightweight. Pretty, but not direct enough. We are waiting for a big target man up front.

The thing is, though, we ARE direct enough. We carved out plenty of chances today, our style of football was more than good enough. The problem is, none of our strikers "brought a ticket" inside the box, and so our great play went to nothing.
I think before we over-react to this we should see whether this level of performance (which was similar to last Saturday) becomes consistent, and we should see how it turns out with an out-and-out goalscorer in the box.

Giza

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Is Timm a striker or an attacking midfielder?
Did we play 442 or a 4411?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:53 pm

King Crimson wrote:We are waiting for a big target man up front.

I don't think we lacked a big target man today - that's why I couldn't understand Merson replacing Constable with Atieno. What we lacked up front today was some pace up front - when James ran at their defenders we looked dangerous, but he was wasted out on the left today.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:53 pm

Where ? :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:
kevin wrote:

Anything to oblige

SS beat you to it at 6:05 pm kevin :wink:

:D :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Giza wrote:Is Timm a striker or an attacking midfielder?
Did we play 442 or a 4411?

I'd call it a 4-4-1-1 as Timm isn't a natural striker - he plays just behind like Merson used to.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:52 pm

Thought we did well for the majority of the game against a good Col U side. Merson had a dig at them in the paper last night as if it's a crime "to get the ball forward early" and have big players up front. Sorry Merson but if you want to be successful in this division then that's what you have to do. It doesn't mean you have to stop playing a passing game that you dearly love as they showed us today.

We held on until he took Timm off for some inexplicable reason. Ok so he might not be match fit but it didn't stop him playing last week. If we had someone decent to bring on then fair enough but Standing playing in a sort of forward role? Madness.

Leary impressed me last week and I much prefer the look of our midfield as Smith is similar and they like to get forward and have more energy than Kinsella, Taylor, Standing etc. James gives us pace and looked lively, pity we don't have alert strikers to take advantage of the balls he puts in.

Today just highlighted the one thing I feared and have done for some time which I have mentioned on here a few times. People don't realise just how good Fryatt is. He has carried us the last few months, we've played averagely at home but his ability to nick a goal from the odd chance has meant we've picked up points. He didn't play and we didn't have a finisher and how it showed therefore we got what we've deserved in many home games this season albeit against a good Col U side.

I don't understand why he started Constable. He may be taller than our other strikers but he's not a target man which we need if Timms is going to roam. Hopefully Peacock will be the man. I thought Atieno did well when he came on and won the balls that Constable couldn't.

It was an entertaining game and we didn't play badly but I don't think it matters who we bring in, with our price range they're not going to match Fryatt and we could struggle. I hope I'm wrong because as the midfield now looks better the last thing we need is for the goals to dry up because goals get you points regardless of how well you play or how entertaining you are. But if you get rid of your two top scorers...

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:54 pm

[quote="Jorge14"The problem is, none of our strikers "brought a ticket" inside the box/quote]

I blame AC, if only he knew about this untapped source of income he'd never have given up.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Strange feeling.

We played better than in some of the recent wins/draws. The midfield had a good balance with pace and creativity and the defence looked OK, although Iwelumo was a real handful - can't remember when Ropes lost so many headers. Obviously the 2 goals were disappointing. Thought the new signings all looked good and felt that they addressed failings that we had. If we had taken our chances, it would have been a canter. Have been critical of Merse in the past but feel that the signings and our first half today were good. There is promise-his task is to convert it into success

But we didn't and we lost.

That's the worry. We SO need a striker or a front man for this midfield to play off. This is a critical signing that could either take us to play-offs or the other way. No new striker and we are in deep poo.

The strange feeling - optimistic but also very nervous

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:30 pm

Well said Codsall. The striker decision is crucial.

Get the right one we could propel up the table (but still miss out on the play offs). Get the wrong one and despite what some think we could still be in trouble.

One thing's for sure we won't get a striker who takes as many chances as what Fryatt did. Hopefully now though we'll be creating lots more chances for the new striker(s) to take advantage of.

Hednesfordred

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:01 pm

Totally agree MMF.
This could be the turnig point for this season depending on who Merson brings in. Either Peacock or Butler would be great. I think we finally have a mobile & effective midfield unit, but they need someone to play off, with Timm being the playmaker.
Thought Smith was outstanding today.
I still think , if the right man is brought in, that with 19 games still left, the play offs are not out of reach.

Up the saddlers

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:22 pm

I agree with everything you say MMF, except about Atieno and Constable. Don't forget, Constable scored twice in his last game, and was only missing last Saturday because he was cup-tied.

I just cannot see what other people see in Taiwo. He labours along, occasionally challenging for a ball, shows no positional sense, and is bullied out of his position. Yes, it is a big ask to come from half a season of conference football to league one football, but he has been a professional for 2 and a half years now, and I have seen absolutely no improvement in him, infact, the potential he once showed has disapeared.
Whilst Constable is no where near the finished article, he IS a goalscorer, and I'm confident that next season he will be worth 15 goals at this level. His runs off the ball are intelligent (wheras Taiwo's are non-existent), and he is strong in the air. He has work to do on the deck, but he shows potential.
Constable is best used coming off the bench this season, I feel, and as for Taiwo's future, judging by Merson's comments, he has none at the club.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:35 pm

You're not reading what I say then Jorge. There's different types of strikers. Those that help you keep possession give you aerial presence and hold the ball up to take the pressure off defence like Atieno and those that are more prolific goals scorers. You could say the same about Emile Heskey or Crouch yet they have had good careers because they offer a different dimension and Atieno certainly gave us that when he came on. That's what he offers us. Problem is some people think that people think playing up front is all about scoring 20+ goals but it's not. Target men that score prolifically don't stay at this level!

Constable is a goalscorer. I have no doubt he is a better player than Atieno. However as we are playing Madds Timm who was our attacking player prepared to run at people then we need the other kind of striker for him to play off. Constable needs to play alongside a target man, he isn't one himself. Yes he's scored goals but that's because in Fryatt we had somone with the first touch who could hold the ball up a bit for him and he could feed off the scraps. How can he feed off the scraps when we've got no one to keep the ball in the opponents box like Iwelumo did for Colchester.

Constable did little in the time he was on the pitch because he has no aerial ability when balls are floated to him and doesn't have enough strength yet which Atieno does.

I'm not saying we should be keeping Atieno just that we needed someone to replace Constable who had been ineffective. That's why I don't understand why Nicholls wasn't on the bench and why Atieno was picked at all when Merson said last week he didn't have a future with us. Then to blame him on the radio shows what a pillock Merson really is.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:44 am

I said to Liam at the start that I thought that big guy up front for them Iluwemo(?) doesn't look if he could trap a bag of concrete. However "everything" stuck to him, Ropes won the least number of headers I have ever seen and probably had his most difficult game of the season. And next week it is The Chief!!
I would agree with MMF in that Taiwo proved a far better target man than James in the time he was on the pitch. Taiwo never looked like scoring but I am not sure that why was he was brought on - which just made Timm going off even more baffling. The substitutions were strange !!
Overall the best I have seen us play for a couple of months - hence the noise and support was improved. The run and one two with Timm should have resulted in Anthony putting us in front and then whilst it was only 1-0 twice James put the ball across the 6 yard box with nobody on the end of it.
I also thought despite somebody's comments above Mark Wright had one of his best games and put in a number of dangerous crosses. Would agree however Pead was left exposed more than once.
We have to hope the loan signings put in that level of performance for the rest of the season.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:59 am

Match report on line. Most problems could be solved with TWO (not one) strikers and telling the bloody wingers to give their full backs some cover.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:03 am

and a new MANAGER

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:41 am

Decoding the match report:

Merson unsurprisingly decided to give home debuts to all his signings, but it probably turned out to be at least one change too many.
Mm, one change too many. I wonder whom Neil thinks should have been included instead.

There was little creativity coming from the central midfield pair. Timm? Always tried too much and was almost completely ineffective.
Really, that's about the direct opposite of what I saw. What on earth is causing Neil to think that?

The centre backs were not getting enough cover from midfield
Ah, I think I have got it now. Where Merson went wrong yesterday was leaving out the mighty Osborn.

I could not disagree more. Yesterday we saw the best performance from a Walsall midfield this season. Timm is a tremendous player and with a forward who has football intelligence he will create many goals. Plenty of chances were created and great passes made, but unfortunately we did not have the forward to make use of them. As far as defence being overrun, Colchester hardly created a chance all match from open play.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Bernie wrote:Decoding the match report:

Merson unsurprisingly decided to give home debuts to all his signings, but it probably turned out to be at least one change too many.
Mm, one change too many. I wonder whom Neil thinks should have been included instead.

There was little creativity coming from the central midfield pair. Timm? Always tried too much and was almost completely ineffective.
Really, that's about the direct opposite of what I saw. What on earth is causing Neil to think that?

The centre backs were not getting enough cover from midfield
Ah, I think I have got it now. Where Merson went wrong yesterday was leaving out the mighty Osborn.

I could not disagree more. Yesterday we saw the best performance from a Walsall midfield this season. Timm is a tremendous player and with a forward who has football intelligence he will create many goals. Plenty of chances were created and great passes made, but unfortunately we did not have the forward to make use of them. As far as defence being overrun, Colchester hardly created a chance all match from open play.

I agree with you, Bernie.

In the 15 minutes before he went off, Timm was getting a real stranglehold on the game. He was running at the defence from deep, and that is something defenders at this level just aren't used to.
Also, I thought Leary and Smith were the stars of the day. And virtually every attacking move we had was started by one of these two. Leary breaks up the play, going about his business quietly. We havn't had player able to do that since Samways left.
The weakest point of our defensive performance yesterday was how easily our full-backs got exploited. I think Pead and Fox are superb players, but they could have benefited from a little more support from messrs Wright and James.
Neil's match reports are normally spot on, but I think this one has suffered from an over-analysis of the performance.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Jorge14 wrote:James and Wright were causing no end of trouble, often switching flanks, and giving us a width we haven't had all season, even with Ishmel (who was left out of the squad again today, and rightly so in my opinion).

How long do you want to punish the lad for?

I can't agree on James and Wright... They only looked good when they were playing on the right flank, both looked completely ineffective when stuck on the left.

Sorry, but we desperately missed a left winger yesterday and if Merson continues to play two right footed wingers, we'll be worse off for it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season