Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (a) 7th January- Fa cup 3rd round

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:49 pm

An optomistic 2-2 draw for me. Tommy Wright & Nardiello for them. Timm & Fox for us.

Simply_Phenomenal

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 pm

i predict 3-1 to the saddlers then the 4th round tie we will have liverpool which will be "Simply Phenomenal" :lol: :D :) :P :wink: :arrow:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:18 am

2-0 to the home side in a leisurely stroll around Oakwell. :(

They'll get Man Utd at Old Trafford in the next round :cry:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:34 am

Are you going today, Saigon, or are you going to come up with another pathetic "I live on the other side of the world and would need to change buses 87 times to get to Barnsley..." type of excuse? Lightweight! :wink:

BTW, any news on the CD (preferably by PM, if it's bad!)?

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:37 am

Good luck today lads - never had much time for these twerps

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:33 pm

King Crimson wrote:Are you going today, Saigon, or are you going to come up with another pathetic "I live on the other side of the world and would need to change buses 87 times to get to Barnsley..." type of excuse? Lightweight! :wink:

BTW, any news on the CD (preferably by PM, if it's bad!)?

Still haven't got around to listening to it mate due to:

a) Having my head up my @rse
B) Work commitments
c) Viet law bollox regards getting a new work-permit
D) Drinking with chums
e) other micsellaneous (sic) reasons :wink: (nods as good as a wink to a blind man, eh, eh, say no more!)

Sunday will be free though and I look forward to telling you just how shi.......erm, splendid I found it then! :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Half time report on line from Fat Controller at the ground

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:33 pm

would you adam and eve it .GET IN!!!!

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 pm

SPOKE TO SOON. 1 BLOODY 1

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Come ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Excellent result.

When's the replay?

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:55 pm

I'll take that gladly. Totally unexpected and the half time report sounded promising.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:10 pm

Good result lads, be interested to hear how the new boys played from some of you who went. Lets see if we can get a decent draw in the fourth round and win the replay. However I bet it's Brentford away.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Good result lads, be interested to hear how the new boys played from some of you who went. Lets see if we can get a decent draw in the fourth round and win the replay. However I bet it's Brentford away.

Match report from the ground on line. Vast improvement, apparantly.

Ian Gittins

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:20 pm

Well done to the team - that is indeed totally unexpected. Now, if Cockney Forrest Gump has hit on a team selection and formation that works well, STICK WITH IT!!!!!

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:35 pm

We'll beat them deffo at bescot now! great draw!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Good result lads, be interested to hear how the new boys played from some of you who went. Lets see if we can get a decent draw in the fourth round and win the replay. However I bet it's Brentford away.

Match report from the ground on line. Vast improvement, apparantly.

After Bristol how could it be any worse

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Excellent result. Completely unexpected. Although this does not change my view on the overall picture, lets see if this is finally a platform for long term improvement.

Look forward to the comments of those who were there.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:56 pm

A highly encouraging performance. We seemed interested and committed which must be a vast improvement. I was anticipating the worst beforehand but the attitude plus the contributions from the new players made it an enjoyable game to be at. Thought we had pace upfront & if James builds on his debut he will prove bittertree hugger's opinion of him to be completely wrong. Thought the goal was excellent (idiot of a referree booking him for justified exuberant celebrations). Liked the look of Leary a lot and Timm could be a definite asset as well. I hope that we DO NOT SELL BENNETT . I thought he was excellent on left side of midfield & was willing to get back & help the excellent Roper & Gerrard. If he is being sold at least I would like to say thank you for his committment today. Bit worried about the way towards end of secend half about the way Pead tended to drift infield & leave us exposed from that flank. Thought Mark Wright despite one or two frustrating lapses had a good game, being willing to take on his marker at every opportunity.If he could combine confidence & consistency- oh well perhaps not. Shame about their equaliser- long way away but Oakes seemed at fault- still that one save in first half was superb.
On the merson argument , I would put myself on the leaning towards the out side but I think that the majority of fans there today were supportive of him ( whether this was purely down to a better away performance or it runs deeper than that I dont know). It will be interesting to see whether the new additions progress or go backwards under the current regime.
Just need to start worrying about the draw now & the difficulties of getting tickets if we potentially get someone that will bring back the missing thousands for one day at least!

sj
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:56 pm

Just got back-- really enjoyed the game. Today we had LEGS and pace. There seemed to be more ugency and resolve, Barnsely are a good team and I think we out played them --just.

Should be a good night a week on Tuesday. Bennet was outstanding

Valence Finstorr

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:01 pm

People, the reason we are in this mess now is because this time last year we all said the same thing. Merson signed a couple of promising players, who improved things temporarily, we then lost them, and things went back to normal - rubbish.

This time next year we'll all be having the same discussions, except there will be less of us because attendances will continue to dwindle.

I despair, I really do.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Indeed, Valence, indeed, but right now be grateful there's a cup replay to be had.

Well done the lads. After crossing that white line they've obviously played a bit better than they're used to doing away :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Excellent performance today - perhaps something to do with our strongest back four playing for the first time?
Oakes made 2 brilliant saves, however I thought he could have done better for their goal. Seemed to come for the cross before missing it.
Pead did ok for me, distribution wasn't the best but he never hid and defended fairly well. I think he was let down by Mark Wright today - I don't want to be too negative, but Wright is useless when it comes to defending - he always leaves Pead exposed so he has two players to deal with rather than one.
Gerrard & Roper were both very solid - AGAIN.
Fox - not outstanding but looked very solid, like Roper & Gerrard.
Wright - A difficult player to judge. His ball for the goal was perfect and capped off a fine move which started at the edge of our penalty area, however he is far too easy to defend against when running down the wing. He doesn't seem aggressive enough and can't defend to save his life. He definitely has something to offer the team, but he wouldn't be in my starting line-up as I'd prefer to see James played out there.
Bennett - Surprisingly good performance on the left of midfield. Whether or not it was a tactical decision to play him there due to his aerial presence or not, fair play to Merson for playing him there because he was very effective.
Osborn - quiet game for Ozzy but his organisation and positioning is a vital aspect of our team. He hold his position well and just gives us that body in front of the defence which has made us hard to break down.
Leary - Got stuck in, won quite a lot in the air and obviously has a good engine. Was quiet overall, but has the potential to improve over the next few weeks.
Timm - a different class & an excellent signing judging by this performance. His first touch and close control was brilliant and he wasn't afraid to try a trick or have a shot.
James - one word to describe him - PACE. Took his goal really well and never stopped running for the cause. Hopefully we will get a centre forward in soon because I look forward to seeing James on the right wing.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Encouraged by today's performance, pace upfront!!! What a refreshing change. To be fair Oakes played well and made a few great saves, including a wicked deflection which he tipped over the crossbar, although he did seem to drop the ball for their goal. :oops:

Nice to have our best back four in place, although I still think Pead isnt the player he was last season. His distribution is hit and miss.

The three new players all impressed, understandably were tired towards the end. Bennett played his socks off in his new winger role :shock:

Support was fantastic from the 6/700 or so Walsall fans, everybody got behind the team. Even new boy James was encouraging the noise from the fans as the team turned out for the second half. I thought he was going to stage dive into us when he scored :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:52 pm

Valence Finstorr wrote:People, the reason we are in this mess now is because this time last year we all said the same thing. Merson signed a couple of promising players, who improved things temporarily, we then lost them, and things went back to normal - rubbish.

This time next year we'll all be having the same discussions, except there will be less of us because attendances will continue to dwindle.

I despair, I really do.

You are probably right. However, it seems like a good performance today and that has to be acknowledged. I guess we will wait and see if it can develop into anything though I have my severe doubts and still want Merson out.

I toyed with the idea of wanting Walsall to lose today, and to lose heavily, because of how I feel about Merson. However, like most of us probably, I could not do this. I'm a Saddler through and through and want us to win, always.

This is about Walsall FC. Not Merson FC. To want us to lose today is to play into that same 'personality cult' trap that the happy clappers on here and elsewhere have long since fell into.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:52 pm

Well we wasnt expecting that was we?

I think you all know where I stand over a certain Paul Merson but today was about OUR club getting into the 4th round of the cup and to be honest I think we are half way there. We played some good football today especially from the new blokes. We showed commitment and fight :shock: cant remember the last time I put that into a Walsall report. The biggest shock for me was the pace that we had up front. James looks a good player and so does Timm but lets not praise them too much many players have impressed during their debuts and gone on to be piss poor. I thought Pead and Wrighty were the weakest in our team today, with James just edging it MOTM.

Bring on the replay and Chelsea in the 4th round (i hope)

I'll echo what cheesebag said, the 700 or so that travelled up to the game got behind the team from beginning to end. Well Done all round today....except the coach woman who stalled it twice! :?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Just got back home and today is exactly what I've been asking Merson for all season.

Today we were organised, disciplined, cohesive, had good tactics, played with passion and pride. Today was everything I've been asking for and I've no doubt that the team played well.

Now, all I ask Mr Merson is that you ensure that exists every week, both home and away. I can accept the odd slip up and off day, but otherwise just repeat today and you'll find yourself being very well supported.

Of the new players;

Timm - Match fitness needed, looked nice at times, doesn't look like the goalscorer replacement needed for Fryatt though.
James - A cheaper mans Julian Joachim, we tried to use him in a very similar way. Didn't hold the ball up as well and wasn't much cop in the air, but his speed was electric. Although you saw him throw a paddy once or twice but in fairness he didnt' get much support from the midfield at times.
Leary - The sort of player you don't really notice is on the pitch, thats not a criticism. Just that he seemed quite steady and solid, good energy levels, some good strong tackles. I expect a good number of yellow cards and today was fully deserved as it was his 3rd foul.

3 good signings... I still think dropping Ishy was a mistake as he'd have had a field day on those flanks. I'd quite like to see James on the right, Ishy on the left, with Timm playing off a strong front man a la Martin Butler.

I was told this morning, by a Watford fan, that Devlin signed for us this morning. If so, I really don't know why as I'd we've got Mark Wright and I think James would be better suited wide than down the middle anyway.

Great atmosphere amongst the fans too.

More of the same please Merson.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:05 am

I was not there,but from what fans that were there have said,I am a lot happier with it now,I still reserve judgment on Merse untill after another 5or 6 games,the only that may concern me is that that I may have get into the same bed as Zippy at the end,but still it is a small concilation for things going right on the pitch.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:13 am

Saddler Jim wrote:I may have get into the same bed as Zippy at the end,but still it is a small concilation for things going right on the pitch.

:shock:

MICOUSS

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:39 am

Excellent result, and ta for the match reports and player ratings. Well done Merse and the lads. Someone I know says the away following was big. Good to see.

Let's finish the job at Bescot, and get the draw we dream of on Monday.

UTS :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season