Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (a) 7th January- Fa cup 3rd round

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:55 am

Stu wrote:Just got back home and today is exactly what I've been asking Merson for all season.

Today we were organised, disciplined, cohesive, had good tactics, played with passion and pride. Today was everything I've been asking for and I've no doubt that the team played well.

Now, all I ask Mr Merson is that you ensure that exists every week, both home and away. I can accept the odd slip up and off day, but otherwise just repeat today and you'll find yourself being very well supported.

Of the new players;

Timm - Match fitness needed, looked nice at times, doesn't look like the goalscorer replacement needed for Fryatt though.
James - A cheaper mans Julian Joachim, we tried to use him in a very similar way. Didn't hold the ball up as well and wasn't much cop in the air, but his speed was electric. Although you saw him throw a paddy once or twice but in fairness he didnt' get much support from the midfield at times.
Leary - The sort of player you don't really notice is on the pitch, thats not a criticism. Just that he seemed quite steady and solid, good energy levels, some good strong tackles. I expect a good number of yellow cards and today was fully deserved as it was his 3rd foul.

3 good signings... I still think dropping Ishy was a mistake as he'd have had a field day on those flanks. I'd quite like to see James on the right, Ishy on the left, with Timm playing off a strong front man a la Martin Butler.

I was told this morning, by a Watford fan, that Devlin signed for us this morning. If so, I really don't know why as I'd we've got Mark Wright and I think James would be better suited wide than down the middle anyway.

Great atmosphere amongst the fans too.

More of the same please Merson.

Thanks Stu thats just what i wanted to hear a vast improvement
its even making me look forward to colchester on saturday the new
players will have a week training we play a team on top form so
we should get a better picture of things to come as you say mate
more of the same please Mr MERSON

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks stu, looks like we are going in the right direction

On the offical web site it says we had 20% possesion a mistake surely, what was your thoughts

link here http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 56,00.html

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Definitely a mistake, but they had the lions share of the possession I thought without ever really looking dangerous though.

How they are 5pts ahead of us in the league and with a game in hand is beyond me.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Stu wrote:Definitely a mistake, but they had the lions share of the possession I thought without ever really looking dangerous though.

How they are 5pts ahead of us in the league and with a game in hand is beyond me.

Because the league is crap and that's why we should be much higher in it.

Greg WP

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:09 pm

Yes very good vocals from our fans yesterday. Cant recall many 3rd round followings from Walsall that small though. a reflection on our away from probably. I hope some of those who persistently moan about the atmosphere at Bescot were there to 'hear' Barnsleys support yesterday. Perhaps, relatively speaking, Bescot does have a pretty good atmpshere.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:41 pm

An enjoyable away day for once!

A real battling performance with plenty of PROMISE for the coming weeks. The players matched the passion of the fans, and then some.

Gerrard and Roper were immense at the back. They hardly lost a thing, and but for a couple of early slips, they were imperious. Gerrard has grown so much over the past couple of months, and the Roper/Gerrard partnership could be a consistment element of our side for years to come.
Personally, I thought Pead had a shocker, but credit to him, he didn't hide ala Kris Taylor.
Foxy could maybe have done better when trying to clear their goal from the line, but other than that I thought he did well. However, my biggest criticism of him was that every clear chance for Barnsley came down their right flank. Perhaps this is because Bennett was playing as a winger, but we still look vunerable from the wings, and I still don't think that this weakness has been addressed by Merson.

In midfield, Leary and Osborn had very busy and impressive games without doing anything of particular note. Leary breaks up everything, but as Stu said, expect a lot of bookings. Osborn looked back to something of his best form.
Wright had possibly his best game of the season down the right flank. The left back was petrified on his pace after he skinned him early on. However, his touch let him down often.
Bennett was superb on the left considering it is such an unusual position for him. He gave some much needed aerial threat in the box, and linked up well with Fox, Timm and James.
Up top, I thought Timm showed some really impressive touches, but his lack of first team action was obvious. He wasn't afraid to run at the petrified centre backs, who really couldn't handle the pace and creativity of our front 2. He was, though, perhaps a little wasteful when in good postions. I'm sure this will improve, though, as he gets used to his new team-mates.
James was the shock of the day for me. Hearing reports from his from a mate of mine who is a Season Ticket holder at the City Ground, I wasn't expecting very much. He is all pace, and I fully agree with Stu hthat he is a poor mans Joachim. Credit to Merson for bringing him in, as we look a different team with pace.
Though I still maintain that Ishmel shouldn't be considered for a few games, the pace of Wright, Ishmel and James, plus the creativity of Timm could transform our season.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 pm

Really enjoyed the game yesterday, great to see people actually trying and doing their best for the cause - just a note to the pro-Merson lobby, like a lot of people that's all I ever ask of the team and yesterday they did it.

Great atmosphere, the FA Cup is so special, especially to Walsall, and I just hope we can get a big draw to attract a decent crowd to Bescot for the replay. Well done Merse and the players, money well spent yesterday.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Much better! Application and effort was all I wanted and we certainly had that yesterday. Well done. Plenty more of it please.

The new boys did well. James is lightning fast which we need. I still worry how many games he will play though with his injury record. He was clearly injured for about 10 minutes in the second half yesterday but credit to him, stayed on and ran it off (unlike some I could mention!).

I thought Leary did well, certainly the steel we need in midfield but can pass as well. An improvement over the recent alternatives which is what is important.

Timm reminds me a lot of Merson but with pace and works a lot harder. He is prepared to drop very deep to come and fetch the ball (like Rooney does) and has good control.

To say the performance was due to the new boys would be unfair and whatever the reason everyone raised their game. If the players who played at Bradford and Bristol had done that we wouldnt have got beaten as easily as we did.

I dont want us to rely on loan signing who could go back at the end of the season. Lets get people in now on a permanent basis while there is a little bit of money available.

It was disappointing to lose the lead and although we probably had the better of the game Barnsley had a lot of chances so a draw was fair. It's better for us financially also.

I'm hoping we can get a great draw tomorrow and the club do something for the fans in the replay by making it £5 for adults and £1 for kids to get some of the missing fans back. I won't hold my breath though.

I know some felt the treatment of Ishmel was fair but it really was a case of cutting his nose of to spite his face. Bennett got in some good positions on the left but isnt a winger. I think if Ishmel had played we'd have won yesterday, just as I think it Wright was more consistent wed have won. Bristol was last week and Ishmels punishment should have been dealt with before yesterday. On Monday when Merson realised that Ishmel didnt turn up he should have called him said a taxt was on his way to take him to Bristol and it would be coming out of his wages. Punishment over and we'd have had him as an option for both games.

Why are people saying the following was small?! There must have been close to 1000 there. Dont you realise that stand holds 6,000? There were more fans there than any time Ive been to Barnsley in recent years.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:12 pm

King Crimson wrote:Let's finish the job at Bescot, and get the draw we dream of on Monday.

On the subject of the draw, does anyone agree that IF we get a big draw such as Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool etc, the club should say you have to buy a ticket for the replay to be able to buy a ticket for the big game? This would mean we'd have more support against Barnsley, therefore bringing in more money to the club which could potentially be used on team strengthening.
Seems like the 'common sense' thing to do, but the club doen't always seem to use common sense.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:31 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Let's finish the job at Bescot, and get the draw we dream of on Monday.

On the subject of the draw, does anyone agree that IF we get a big draw such as Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool etc, the club should say you have to buy a ticket for the replay to be able to buy a ticket for the big game? This would mean we'd have more support against Barnsley, therefore bringing in more money to the club which could potentially be used on team strengthening.
Seems like the 'common sense' thing to do, but the club doen't always seem to use common sense.

Season ticket holders will get priority.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm hoping we can get a great draw tomorrow and the club do something for the fans in the replay by making it £5 for adults and £1 for kids to get some of the missing fans back. I won't hold my breath though.

If I remember right MMF, the FA will not let you go below a certain price for Adults/OAP/Kids.

I'm sure when I went to a FA Cup game a few sessons a go involving two non league teams they had to put the gate prices up to £4 and when some one asked why they had gone up by 200%, the reply was it is FA Rules.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:01 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

The club have done that a few times in the past and I would expect them to do it again but as cheesebag says season tickets holders would have first priority.

Didn't realise that WS1. At least make it kids for a quid.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:14 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

The club have done that a few times in the past and I would expect them to do it again but as cheesebag says season tickets holders would have first priority.

I think there is a ruling on kids as well MMF, might be wrong though.

WFC4Eva

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:37 pm

WS1 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I think there is a ruling on kids as well MMF, might be wrong though.

there is definatly a minimum price that can be charged for both adults and kids I think, not sure how much it is though.

that was one of the reasons why Chasetown who charge about £4, had to charge more than their normal prices for the Oldham game but they didnt want to put them upto much, hence the reason £10.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:43 pm

The away team take one third of the gate receipts which is why teams aren't allowed to reduce ticket prices. That is why some matches had very low attendances yesterday.

no.1saddlersfanuk

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:46 pm

imagine man utd away 1/3 of 67,000 say average ticket 15 quid BLIMEY- 1 million ish equaling about £333,333 ish NICE

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:47 pm

We did it once not so long back remember?! Although it was only 55,000ish then. Only. :roll:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:50 pm

Man Utd, the day of the greatest goal celebration I've seen...

Boli's looping header sneaks in at the far post, half of the Walsall players stop still, put their hands out and fall to the floor as if they've fainted. Boli, Peron and a couple of others go wild with the Walsall fans.

no.1saddlersfanuk

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:53 pm

55,000 they only came to see the saddlers

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:53 pm

And concrete hippo has still got Boli's shirt framed with dirt and sweat on it. We were only a few rows from the front.

Yesterday's goal celebration was good though!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:01 pm

no.1saddlersfanuk wrote:imagine man utd away 1/3 of 67,000 say average ticket 15 quid BLIMEY- 1 million ish equaling about £333,333 ish NICE

It is better than you think. A visiting team in the FA cup gets 45% of the net gate receipts (47.5% for non-league clubs in replays). Prices at Man Utd are from £21 to £36 for members, £26 to £41 for non-members. Allowing for reductions for concessions, let us take £25 as around the average price of a ticket. This would give a visiting team £750,000 before expenses.

A valuable 0-0 for Burton Albion.

no.1saddlersfanuk

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:02 pm

:D the value of fryatt

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Question: That kicking the flag incident from the corner. I have read a few times from people saying it was James but I could have sworn it was Wright. Am I going mad?

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Question: That kicking the flag incident from the corner. I have read a few times from people saying it was James but I could have sworn it was Wright. Am I going mad?

Your going mad, it was James.

Your right about the celebration of the goal yesterday though. The electricity of the crowd was, well, electric. :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 pm

Now you're just posting to make the thread longer. Everyone knows the threads only get longer when we lose. Stop it. :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:16 am

Flag kick was defintiely James, what I found most confusing was the bloke who shouted out at Osborn for it, effectively blaming him for offering the short corner routine. The same bloke also called him a 'Dingle' on a couple of occasions, some folk never move on eh...

WS1
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The away team take one third of the gate receipts which is why teams aren't allowed to reduce ticket prices. That is why some matches had very low attendances yesterday.

Both clubs in FA Cup games get 40% of the gate money with the FA getting 20% that is after expenses have been taken out.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 pm

WS1 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:The away team take one third of the gate receipts which is why teams aren't allowed to reduce ticket prices. That is why some matches had very low attendances yesterday.

Both clubs in FA Cup games get 40% of the gate money with the FA getting 20% that is after expenses have been taken out.

From http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFACup/ ... /20766.htm

b) Net gate receipts shall be divided as follows:

(iii) In matches played in the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Rounds of the Competition Proper, the net gate receipts of each match shall be divided as follows:

45% to each Club competing in the match.

10% to the Pool.

There are some variations for replays, and non-league clubs get a bigger share.

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Bernie wrote:
WS1 wrote:

From http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFACup/ ... /20766.htm

b) Net gate receipts shall be divided as follows:

(iii) In matches played in the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Rounds of the Competition Proper, the net gate receipts of each match shall be divided as follows:

45% to each Club competing in the match.

10% to the Pool.

There are some variations for replays, and non-league clubs get a bigger share.

Thanks for the update Bernie :wink:

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season