Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City 2nd January

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
sean511
UTS Regular

Bristol City 2nd January

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:56 am

Come on Walsall! After we've beat Blackpool :roll: we need to try and get a good run going. What do you reckon?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Re: Bristol City 2nd January

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:40 pm

sean511 wrote:Come on Walsall! After we've beat Blackpool :roll: we need to try and get a good run going. What do you reckon?

It's nothing new or revolutionary is it, I reckon we've been needing to get a run going for several months, but we never have, and I think that on today's performance there is still NO sign of it happening.

Every win we get obviously MIGHT be the start of a run, but a first half like that again on Monday and we might be looking at a heavy defeat against an improving Brizzle City.

Still far too inconsistent for us to have any confidence in them, and remember there'll be no Matty on Monday.

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:02 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
sean511 wrote:Come on Walsall! After we've beat Blackpool :roll: we need to try and get a good run going. What do you reckon?

It's nothing new or revolutionary is it, I reckon we've been needing to get a run going for several months, but we never have, and I think that on today's performance there is still NO sign of it happening.

Every win we get obviously MIGHT be the start of a run, but a first half like that again on Monday and we might be looking at a heavy defeat against an improving Brizzle City.

Still far too inconsistent for us to have any confidence in them, and remember there'll be no Matty on Monday.
We've beaten blackpool so why be so negative and pessimistic. We didn't need fryatt today. Bristol are nothing special so lets look possitive and hope to get a win away. we beat them last season so why not beat them this season?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:05 pm

You just don't see it sean do you?

It doesn't matter who we beat at home, we never follow it up with an away win. Look at the facts and out results from this season, or last season. We rarely do away wins under Merson which is why we'll never get promotion under him.

Bradford were nothing special. Did you see their home record before playing us? Yet we self destruced against them like we have against Yeovil, Port Vale, Barnsley and others this year.

But then you don't go to many away games like most other Merson supporters so I don't expect you to understand.

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:16 pm

I'm not exactly a merson supporter i'm just saying that we shouldn't be negative after we've won a match. Be negative if we lose. Anyway how does everyone think we will do against bristol i reckon we will win 1-0.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:25 pm

Never mind, we're wasting our breath on you.

We just won at HOME. You know like we have in 7 of our last 8 home games.

Please work out how many of those wins have been followed up with an away win.

Thank you please.

We're not being negative, we did well today but it doesn't mean we'll win on Monday.

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:49 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Never mind, we're wasting our breath on you.

We just won at HOME. You know like we have in 7 of our last 8 home games.

Please work out how many of those wins have been followed up with an away win.

Thank you please.

We're not being negative, we did well today but it doesn't mean we'll win on Monday.

I'm not saying we will, just hope so. I'm happy because we won today and thats all that matters about walsall today. i'll worry about bristol if it becomes a problem. We haven't won much away i'll admit but we should do something against them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:22 pm

1-0 Walsall, dawn's rosy glow spreading across the distant horizon.

This win, plus one in either cup, will be enough to see Merse through to the end of the season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:08 pm

[/quote] We've beaten blackpool so why be so negative and pessimistic. We didn't need fryatt today. Bristol are nothing special so lets look possitive and hope to get a win away. we beat them last season so why not beat them this season?[/quote]

How many times do you people need to be told that there is a gigantic difference between "NEGATIVE" and "REALISTIC".

For reasons to back this up, just read MMF, I can't be bothered to try and hammer it into you again, you don't listen !

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:40 pm

[/quote] We've beaten blackpool so why be so negative and pessimistic. We didn't need fryatt today. Bristol are nothing special so lets look possitive and hope to get a win away. we beat them last season so why not beat them this season?[/quote]

How many times do you people need to be told that there is a gigantic difference between "NEGATIVE" and "REALISTIC".

For reasons to back this up, just read MMF, I can't be bothered to try and hammer it into you again, you don't listen !

Yes i do listen its just you think you must be right all the while. You only care about your opinion and refuse to agree with everyone else.

I just made this thread to see how people think we will do against bristol city. If i think we can win then i will try to show my opinion on how i think we could. Show your thoughts about the game but don't have a crack at me.

Why can't i be optimistic, we need some of it on this board. I love walsall and i will do everything i can to prove this. If you have a problem with this then don't try to hammer anything into me because i can't be bothered to listen to it.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:26 pm

sean511 wrote:
We've beaten blackpool so why be so negative and pessimistic. We didn't need fryatt today. Bristol are nothing special so lets look possitive and hope to get a win away. we beat them last season so why not beat them this season?[/quote]

Yes i do listen its just you think you must be right all the while. You only care about your opinion and refuse to agree with everyone else.

I just made this thread to see how people think we will do against bristol city. If i think we can win then i will try to show my opinion on how i think we could. Show your thoughts about the game but don't have a crack at me.

Why can't i be optimistic, we need some of it on this board. I love walsall and i will do everything i can to prove this. If you have a problem with this then don't try to hammer anything into me because i can't be bothered to listen to it.
[/quote]

Excuse me Sean, but if you'd like to look a bit higher up I think you'll find it was YOU that had a bl**dy go at me to begin with, so don't come here having a go at ME !

I answered your question in a perfectly rational way, then YOU accused ME of being "negative and pessimistic". Well I'm not, I'm REALISTIC, and I have the Saddlers' record of most of this season AND last to back me up 100%.

Do you actually bother to remember what YOU post ?

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:42 pm

all right Geoff, sorry my mistake, but i wasn't intending to have a go at you in the first place it was just to encourage you to believe that we could beat bristol. If you didn't see this in my post then i'm sorry.

happy new year to you. :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:02 am

sean511 wrote:all right Geoff, sorry my mistake, but i wasn't intending to have a go at you in the first place it was just to encourage you to believe that we could beat bristol. If you didn't see this in my post then i'm sorry.

happy new year to you. :wink:

OK Sean, we understand one another better now then, so some good has come of this.

I don't really need to be encouraged to believe we shall beat Bristol City, my football mind works on probabilities rather than hopes and wishes, and on the basis of our recent record and faced with an improving Bristol City, clearly we shall not be favourites to win on Monday.

However, football is, as has long been said, a funny ol' game, so we never know what will happen. If we did, we'd all win the football pools and be extremely well-off.

So, I shall carry on HOPING that we'll win on Monday, while not kidding myself that it is all that likely. Deluding myself is not a help, it just brings greater disappointment when the expected happens.

Happy New Year to you too Sean, I hope it brings you good health, happiness and prosperity - just as I wish for all my Saddlers' friends on this Board. Cheers ! :D

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:11 am

We've won 2 away games all season - 1 of them being on the first day of the season. Like everyone has said - it doesn't matter who we beat at home, we don't work on it away. Obviously, like all Walsall supporters we hope for an away win - but I just can't see it coming (Hopefully I'll be proven wrong) I'm going for a 2-1 Bristol City win.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Can't really see anything but defeat at Bristol,judging by this seasons away performances,I saw just a chink of hope with yesterdays 2nd half showing,but that has happened b4 this season only to be back to normal service the week after.the year will have changed but that will be the only thing Im afraid. :( :(

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:01 pm

WALSALL 1 0 CITY
O JEORGE LEAITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Despite what I said above and our away form guide saying we have little chance of winning, we put in a very unexpected performance at their place last season, one of our best of the season. It should have been the point we kicked on and headed for the play offs but we stuttered again before Merson stumbled upon the 4-5-1 towards the end of the season.

If we put on the same unexpected performance that we did last seasont then we have every chance of winning. The problem is it will be an unexpected peformance!

But the pasties are nice so I'll be going. :D

sj
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:56 pm

I take its a 3pm kick off- ?

Acuman

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:57 pm

Bristol fans seem quite confident of a win as they are now 5 games un beaten
Can't see past a 2-0 to city :cry:
unless the defence play as if it is a home game then we may get a 0-0

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:25 pm

Acuman wrote:unless the defence play as if it is a home game then we may get a 0-0

The defence rarely let us down IMO. The performance of the midfield is key. Our defenders will throw everything in the way all day and all night but if our midfielders aren't keeping the ball for any length of time it's going to keep coming back and then it's only a matter of time before we concede.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:32 pm

1-0 defeat. A better performance than Bradford but still no points.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:03 pm

booster cogburn wrote:
Acuman wrote:unless the defence play as if it is a home game then we may get a 0-0

The defence rarely let us down IMO. The performance of the midfield is key. Our defenders will throw everything in the way all day and all night but if our midfielders aren't keeping the ball for any length of time it's going to keep coming back and then it's only a matter of time before we concede.

Agree Gerrard and Roper stopped a lot again at Bradford, pity the full backs were in unfamiliar positions which didn't help but once again midfield and their lack of closing down cost us both goals in my opinion.

Defence isn't a problem for once and they certainly play no different away than at home, it's the rest of the team that does. If only the rest of the players were as commmitted as Gerrard and Roper we wouldn't struggle for results at all even on the turf of the top sides in the league.

ucow

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:20 pm

a hard earned scrappy 0-0 but the romantic in me says 1-0 with jorge getting teh winner in his last league game for us

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Murphy
Westwood
Gerrard
Bennett
Harkness
Pead
K.Taylor
Kinsella
Leitao
Constable
Nicholls

What's this line-up about?

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:54 pm

I'm wondering if he is putting Bennett left side of midfield, or Harkness

Murphy
Pead - Westwood - Gerrard - Harkness/Bennett
Leitao - Kinsella - Taylor - Bennett/Harkness
Nicholls - Constable

Or he is trying a 5-3-2 maybe, with Pead and Harkness as wing backs and Kinsella/Taylor/Leitao playing midfield.

Can't work it out either way.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm

Well mountain to climb now. No explanation of Roper's absence

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm

what's the problem with Matty again? Injured?

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:10 pm

1-0 Bristol City (murray)

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:10 pm

Matty could be out for 2 weeks or so Bert, hamstring strain.

1-0 down now, Kinsella with a poor pass thats intercepted. Leitao doesn't track his man and Murray comes in from the flank to slot home past Murphy.

toffo
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:11 pm

duvelken wrote:what's the problem with Matty again? Injured?

Pulled his hamstring after 10 mins against Blackpool

Next
Return to 2005-06 Season