Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City 2nd January

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Bennett was hapless at left back, which is hardly surprising since he isn't a left back. We had a left back on the pitch, but Harkness was playing on the left wing, and was awful beyond belief.

wfc_2uk wrote:Bennett and Westwood looked a pair of pillocks today. Both moaning at each other for mistakes.

WFC4EVA wrote:Bennett wasn't on the pace of the game at all

Welsh Saddler wrote:I tell you, Zigor would have improved this lot's showing today, by at least 50%.............

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:28 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:I didn't go to Bradford but would be amazed if we were remotely as bad as this.

I am not exaggerating when I say I felt Bradfors was several times worse than yesterday...honestly.

It seems that as more people make the effort to go to away games (as indicated by a few above) then they realise just how bad we are.

All those who just attend home games and are all pro Merson I urge you just to go to at least one away game so you can see how bad we really are. Scraping results at home against every poor teams well below isn't enough.

Bennett is a centre half KC, most of my argument against you the other day was that you wouldn't mind us to get rid of him yet keep Staunton at the club which I coouldn't disagree more on. He's not the ideal left back but I still think I prefer him to Staunton just because Staunton is just another Merson cronie hear to pick his money up like Kinsella. One of my main arguments against Merson is not the results but because there is no passion from the players. You can't say that of Bennett which is why he'd be in front of Staunton every time for me.

There's not point in saying much about the match because I've said it several times already this season.

I was very pleased to hear the Merson Out chanting. Many people have known that this is what was needed months ago but now they are being driven to sing it which is what more need to do if they want this clown to go.

I'm quite glad we have a lot of away games in Jan because if we're as dreadful as we were yesterday and at Bradford then Merson will definitely be gone by then because many fans just can't bring themselves to support him any longer and are making their voices heard. The downside of this is we could be out of two cup competitions and in a relegation scrap, something many of us have predicted for weeks, perhaps then you will listen.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:29 pm

PS - Any comment on the result sean?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bennett is a centre half KC, most of my argument against you the other day was that you wouldn't mind us to get rid of him yet keep Staunton at the club which I coouldn't disagree more on. He's not the ideal left back but I still think I prefer him to Staunton just because Staunton is just another Merson cronie hear to pick his money up like Kinsella. One of my main arguments against Merson is not the results but because there is no passion from the players. You can't say that of Bennett which is why he'd be in front of Staunton every time for me.

We don't pay players for heart, passion or anything remotely like that, MMF. We pay them for their performance. I couldn't give two hoots why someone plays for us if they do it competently. Since when did the league award points for effort?

We won't agree on this, I just know it, but I honestly gave Bennett the benefit of the doubt yesterday, and he was shockingly bad.

Hednesfordred

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:07 pm

I have to agree KC. Bennett was awful yesterday, looked exactly what he is - a centre half playing at full back. Yet in front of him we have Harkness - a full back playing in midfield.
I honestly think we would have done better with these 2 switched the other way around. At least Bennett's lack of positional sense would not have been as costly playing further up the pitch.
Westwood was very poor in my opinion, and for him to have a go at easily our best player Gerrard was totally out of order. Midfield non-existant in the 1st half, slightly better in the 2nd - but not much.
Up front we showed a lack of experience, which was to be expected. I just hope we do not drain every last bit of confidence out of both Constable & Nicholls.

Time really for the experienced players to stand up & be counted - but how many times this season have we asked for that ???

I thought Bristol never had to get out of 2nd gear to beat us easily, and it would have been nice to at least have made them work for thie victory.

Still, will be going to Barnsley for yet another hammering.

Up the saddlers

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09 pm

All true, hednesford. :(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 pm

KC - We're not going to agree on this so I'm not going to bother any further after this, well maybe not. :wink: I didn't say Bennett played well yesterday but he is a centre half playing at left back. The alternative is Staunton who joined us a centre half and said he didn't want to play left back for us. So that's two centre halves we're talking about.

The person to blame is Merson entirely for not having the correct balance in the squad or choosing to play players out of position.

Harkness is a left back, he could have played there so at least only one of them is our of positiion instead of [b]both[/b] he and Bennett. In fact Bennett has actually looked quite good going forward when on the wing earlier in the season.

Lee Vaughan can play left back, others can play left back. Merson chose to play someone out of position there...again. It's his fault, I don't care who is marginally better there out of Bennett or Staunton I want to see a new manager that means we wouldn't be discussing these petty issues.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:20 pm

Amen to all that MMF!

Spot on! :wink:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Merson is going to play Mick Kearn and bring back Tom Bradley to play in attack on Saturday.

:D

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season