Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (H) 31st December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:44 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:For all their work-rate, Blackpool created very little - as someone else has said the rocket that hit the bar was totally out of the blue, though it turned out a little fortunate for us.

I forgot to mention that. It was a great save from Murphy who tipped it over. Pity that no on bothered to close their bloke down for the umpteenth time this week. That really winds me up, it costs nothing to get closer to a player to stop them making a shot and I'm glad we did it more in the first half.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:For all their work-rate, Blackpool created very little - as someone else has said the rocket that hit the bar was totally out of the blue, though it turned out a little fortunate for us.

I forgot to mention that. It was a great save from Murphy who tipped it over. Pity that no on bothered to close their bloke down for the umpteenth time this week. That really winds me up, it costs nothing to get closer to a player to stop them making a shot and I'm glad we did it more in the first half.

Yes I think they had about three long range shots like that - the one in the first half only just skimmed the bar. I read on the Blackpool site that Murphy saved the one that hit the bar second-half. I hadn't realised he got a touch to it and I was doubtful about that report, so thanks MMF for clearing that one up - credit definitely goes to Joe then !

Bradley's was a fine long range effort too, late on in the game, brought a good save out of their keeper, although he could only turn it aside for a corner. Nice to see we have someone coming in who can hit a shot from distance, and is prepared to give it a go.

Shame Constable went a touch too early for that Nicholls pass across the box, could/should have been his hat-trick, but the linesman was spot-on with the decision.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:23 pm

Really happy with three points, but a bit disturbed at how we arrived at them, according to the above.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:45 pm

Happy new year exile, from someone still in 2005!!!!! :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:13 pm

cheesebag wrote:Happy new year exile, from someone still in 2005!!!!! :wink:

Yeah, what's 2006 like pal ?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:46 pm

Zippyzip wrote:An absolutely diabolical first half. (yes, even I'll say it). I thought Fryatt was a bit too keen to come off. Didn't see him receive any treatment, he went straight to the dugout and sat down.

Much better second half.

A very emotional game, it was a credit to everyone for giving Jorge a fantastic send off.

People were still singing his name as they walked down Bescot Crescent to their cars.

As I have posted on Rivals, Matty was not keen to come off - quite the reverse, in fact. He sat on the bench with an ice pack on his injured hamstring so, rest assured he was treated.

I agree, Zippy, the Jorge send off was very emotional.

cat3

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:05 pm

Good result... Happy New Year and wish we regain our momentum and do some damage with our away records. We can do this and get back to Championship... I can't wait to see Constable playing along side Fryatt.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:44 pm

Cay-3 this is the "sad fudge" sj :D Happy New Year my man

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:26 am

Zippyzip wrote:An absolutely diabolical first half. (yes, even I'll say it). I thought Fryatt was a bit too keen to come off. Didn't see him receive any treatment, he went straight to the dugout and sat down.

Much better second half.

A very emotional game, it was a credit to everyone for giving Jorge a fantastic send off.

People were still singing his name as they walked down Bescot Crescent to their cars.

Wrong, Zippy, he was receiving treatment for an hamstring all through the half (ice pack).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:14 pm

I read the game like most of the posters above. Poor first half. To me the difference was the half time substitution. I like the look of Nicholls, he has pace, and his movement off the ball is good. The main thing the substitution did was move Jorge to the wing at the expense of the totally ineffective Ishmel. When people suddenly say "Osborn and Taylor bucked their ideas up second half...", a significant part of this is not down to workrate or attitude, but OUTLETS. Nicholls has pace up front (Jorge doesn't), and Jorge out wide is a more intelligent footballer than Ishmel. K Taylor I think played very well second half.

I like the look of both Constable and Nicholls. They work very hard too.

Back four looked good. Pead played much better than against Tranmere or Hartlepool and (despite the blindingly obvious lack of pace) I'd have Staunton at left back if Fox is unavailable over Bennett any day of the week. His composure and deftness of touch was at times a sight to behold. Let's hope he and Merse don't have another spat in The Swan!

Gerrard was awesome. Like others, the baiting of that tw*t Parker was something straight from the gamesmanship textbook. Parker looked quite rattled after Gerrard had a 'quiet word' in his ear. Well, wouldn't you?

I think the weakest links in the team are the wingers, who are not able to make up for our other deficiency: a truly creative central midfielder. If we have penetration from the centre, we will get service to the strikers and opportunities on goal that way, so the wingers become less important. With the best will in the world, Ossie and Taylor aren't Surman, Skora or Merson. That puts greater pressure on making opportunities via the flanks. I don't think our current wingers are up to it.

Blackpool (with the exception of their number 8 who looked useful) were quite poor, but I thought we showed moments of promise. We still need a creative midfield, either from the middle or the wings to really catch light in this league.

Again, the match report I think is excellent Neil.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:46 pm

King Crimson wrote:and (despite the blindingly obvious lack of pace) I'd have Staunton at left back if Fox is unavailable over Bennett any day of the week. His composure and deftness of touch was at times a sight to behold. Let's hope he and Merse don't have another spat in The Swan!

You're joking right? While he may have the touch of a player who has played at the top, his distribution was awful yesterday even when under no pressure whatsoever. I'd day he was our worst player over the whole 90 minutes.

As for Fryatt, I wasn't sugguesting he wasn't injured, he obviously was. When I said I felt he was too eager to come off I meant some players would have tried to run the injury off but I appreciate this can sometimes do more harm than good.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:05 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:and (despite the blindingly obvious lack of pace) I'd have Staunton at left back if Fox is unavailable over Bennett any day of the week. His composure and deftness of touch was at times a sight to behold. Let's hope he and Merse don't have another spat in The Swan!

You're joking right? While he may have the touch of a player who has played at the top, his distribution was awful yesterday even when under no pressure whatsoever. I'd day he was our worst player over the whole 90 minutes.

Couldn't agree with you more sir. Worst player on the pitch without a shadow of a doubt!!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:01 pm

What is the primary function of a left back? To me, its to deal with 'in-coming' and stop play down the wing. That requires positional sense and the ability to tackle and not foul. To me, that puts Staunton ahead of Bennett, who makes too many mistakes. Parker tried everything with Staunton and got no change, so gave up.

His distribution was poor yesterday, but it has been excellent at times this season.

How many opportunities did Blackpool have from out wide?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:04 pm

We won't agree on this on KC. See what I've put on the other thread about Bennett leaving.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:We won't agree on this on KC. See what I've put on the other thread about Bennett leaving.

I have, and I've replied. :wink:

I can see what you're saying MMF, but I just don't rate him. I honestly wish he was the best young prospect we had, but I don't. :(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:29 pm

Are you forgetting his performances last season at centre half? His favoured position?

Staunton is past it and worth nothing to us, not as a player, not as a coach.

cat3

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:31 pm

SJ - get a life and you ain't a "sick fudge" no more living in the midlands; Live to fulliest and die in honour. Play with all your heart and not stone cold; I suggest drinking 1/2 of a bottle of chivas and run up the snowry hills for 5-10 minutes non-stop; your heart will pump like a motor and you will definitely feel amaze how much fun and exhausion your body can handle. Lapsing infront and on top of the snow, man, that's the best you can do with a few quids spent in the winter season. Of course, you can donate that money away and sat the whole morning in a church, but I suppose you are not up for the tradition.

Let's get back on top this year!!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:36 pm

I wouldn't play him at centre half (he'd be behind the usual suspects and only used in an emergency). Some of the reasons you've cited involve wage bills, bits and pieces off the pitch that I'm sure you're better qualified to comment on than me, MMF.

On the pitch, I think Staunton is a better left back than Bennett. We live hand to mouth, and you know this as well as anybody. Next year he will be a different proposition, and so may Bennett be, but I still don't think Bennett will be quality we couldn't find elsewhere as and when the time arises. If he's not first choice left back, or centre half and we get a decent bid, let him go.

Staunton's going nowhere, certainly while Merse is in charge. He can provide the same function as Bennett (essentially cover for injuries), and at left back I think he's better. At centre half we have Westy as cover, and Staunton would be 4th choice.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:45 pm

I wouldn't play him at centre half either, Gerrard and Roper all the way for me. That's while Gerrard and even Staunton and Westwood are still here. Don't be so sure about Staunton being here as long as Merson is, I think he showed yesterday his desire to play for Merson.

In my opinion there's little to choose between Staunton and Bennett at left back and one has several years experience and knowledge to count on.

The reason he's forced his way in at left back is because he's too good to leave out and has the attitude we need in all players, Staunton doesn't have the kind of attitude we need. He along with Osborn were the experienced men yesterday, you wouldn't have known it in the first half though Hardly geeing up the boys like Bennett has been known to do.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:47 pm

We'll maybe agree to disagree, and have a look at how it should be done if Fox is playing tomorrow at Ashton Gate.

My parting shot: Would Bennett have held it together when Parker was playing his games yesterday? 100% sure? :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:02 pm

King Crimson wrote:My parting shot: Would Bennett have held it together when Parker was playing his games yesterday? 100% sure? :wink:

I think so. I don't think he gets wound up by that kind of thing, it's normally late tackles he has got punished for, not his temprament against other players.

Anyway I'd have paid him or anyone to see someone lash out at Parker, wouldn't you? :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Anyway I'd have paid him or anyone to see someone lash out at Parker, wouldn't you? :lol:

Yes :wink:

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season