Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere (H) - 26th December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Phil_G

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:08 am

futuresobright wrote:All in all an encouraging performance however. It was particularly pleasing to see how strong we were at the end of the game. One problem we don't have is a lack of fitness. Well done PM and the backroom staff for preparing the lad's so well. With Ishmel and Mark Wright soon back things look good for 2006.

An encouraging performance by what standard? We should have beaten Tranmere by at least 3. They came for a point with no plan other than hoof it up front for Facey.
Unfortunately, the only thing we matched them on was tactics.
Because we had no wingers playing, our pedestrian attacks came to a shuddering halt when we finally lumbered up to their back 4.
I can only imagine Jorge has asked to play in every position on the pitch before he leaves and Merson is indulging him.
If Fryatt does go, then lets hope a succession of 0-0's will be enough to avoid relegation, cos we ain't gonna score.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:23 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It's the reply from futuressobright that gets me. Fit? We were second to every 50/50, lost every "second" ball and lost every physical challenge and he says we were well prepared!

Yes, I had hoped that futuresobright was being ironic but, particularly with the absence of smileys, I am afraid he was being serious! As I have posted elsewhere, we were overrun in the last twenty minutes by both Wycombe and Tranmere. We have trained for two hours during the five days prior to the Tranmere game. We are, without doubt, the unfittest team in this division.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:49 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:I was talking to Kris Taylor's mom after the game and he is still suffering badly with his foot injury which isn't healing very well and is still not right. After every game he has severe bruising in the same spot. It has to affect his ability to play well as he's always been a good performer in midfield in the past.

I hate to say it but Osborn has slipped back into his performances of last season since his return from injury and looks nowhere near the player we had earlier in the season. Then again he's never suited playing in a 4-4-2 for us since he joined us.

Hopefully yesterday's game will put a stop to all the messages we have telling us that Kris Taylor should be in the team! Injury or no injury, yesterday is not the first time I have seen the same performance from him. He is our poorer version of Danny Sonner in that he is never within 10 yards of the player he should be challenging. There is a thread on the other section whereby people are slating Constable in only his second game in professional league football. If that is the case what criticism should we be putting forward for our former Man Utd academy player!!!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:08 pm

That was pathetic!
I have not witnessed a game as bad as that for some time, we were clueless. How on earth does either Taylor get into the side, they are not good enough. Constable seemed to do alot of running but what he achieved from it I dont know.
Gerrard & Ropes were thr only two that could take any credit from that game.

The ref was dire yesterday and did stop and start all game but that is no excuse for such a poor display.

A few away games coming up :shock: :?

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:18 pm

As posted elsewhere

Redordead wrote:
rko_2006 wrote:who here is going to the walsall match on boxing day???

i think we should get as many people as possible to go so the players have something to play for ........ so whos with me ??? whos going to the match ????

( p.s - lets all wear as much santa hats as we can , keep the feeling of christmas in the bescot )

So it will be the same old, same old then. Big crowd with about an extra 1000 on the gate that haven't been since last xmas, a chance for the team to shine and make the extra fans come back for more, that only means one thing, a nil nil no score bore draw

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:52 pm

leamore said:
We are, without doubt, the unfittest team in this division.

There were certainly a few of our team well off the pace yesterday. Standing (from after the fifth minute), Taylor K (often caught flat footed and out of position - seemed to want to play on the left), taylor D (fair enough just coming back from injury and improved the longer he was on) and both pead and bennett who had trouble a few times keeping up with players who had the ball at their feet.

It comes to something when ossie has to do the running for the youngsters around him. after him, jorge was our best midfielder!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:53 pm

I started the chant "too much turkey" to great escape but no one wanted to join in. :roll:

I can't believe some people are saying it was our worst performance for ages! Why? Because we didn't win? It was no difference to last week in my opinion, in fact the game against Hartlepool was worse except we managed to score.

No excuses for Osborn Neil. I don't care who was playing around him or how fit they were. He was poor yesterday like so often last season. His passing was poor (which has no bearing from the players around him). He played well earlier in the season despite poor performances from those around him so that's no excuse for yesterday.

That doesn't mean Standing or Taylor were any better, they weren't.

futuresbright - I can't believe you say Pead has been rubbish from day one. He was terrible yesterday I admit but that was easily his worst game for WFC. He has had some excellent games for us., especially at Bescot where he has won a couple of man of the match awards deservedly so.

MOSOC
ZOSOMB

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:02 pm

I thought it was worse than Hartlepool, purely on the basis that the opposition was rubbish. As for Ossie, we'll just beg to differ, as I thought he was the only one actually finding his man.

ucow

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:21 pm

well i thought it was a fantastic game for the first 5 mins till the cold wind brought me out of my alcoholicly enduced coma! wish i had stayed there! we had no idea throughout the match and only had 2 real attempts on goal and they came in the last 5 mins of the match!

the ref was diabolical and tranmere on another day could have quite easitly been down to 9 men with fasey going over the top on standing and the ref giving a goal kick and the assult of fryatt after teh ball had been played by the tranmere player when the ref awarded a drop ball only stopping play because fryatt didnt move when on the ground!

i think brian little must have sent the ref the tranmere awy kit for christmas and brought him and his asssistants down on the coach for the game! he gave vertually everything to tranmere and left his cards in the dressing room! thats the only logical reason i can see for him not sending off at least one of the tranmere players!

as for our manager manager he stands around like the chelskey manager (as i cant work out how to spel his name! :oops: ) but hasn't got a clue what to do! maybe his new nickname should be mersrinio!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm

An opportunity lost yesterday. Poor opposition, but the tinkerman saw to it that our midfield would be in too much disarray to capitalise on it. Jorge on the LEFT?!! I can only assume that was a punishment for him leaving. Full backs (and I'll include Bennett in that as I'm feeling charitable) were poor and showed a lack of adventure. Pead in particular was terrible, and has no excuse what with him being a ...full back.

Constable and Nicholls failed to inspire. D Taylor is another Mark Wright : doesn't know when to run and when to pass. Can't cross.

Fryatt, Roper, Gerrard and Murphy all did fine. As for the rest, too many of them out of position, unfit, unwilling or unable.

As Geordie wrote, the Fryatt goal against Hartlepool masked an otherwise lacklustre performance. No saving grace today. We were poor. Until we can beat poor opposition at home we will not be going anywhere. Nor do we deserve to. :evil:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:56 pm

Well i take my hat off to you guys & girls who give your hard earned cash every week to pay the wages of players who according to your comments dont actually put themselves out during the game but are first in the queue at the cash machine on a monday morning to get your cash out and spend it,i bet they smile as they spend it,but never think of saying thank you by putting themselves out on match days or as with staunton he does'nt even need to turn up to get his cash.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:02 pm

King Crimson wrote:An opportunity lost yesterday. Poor opposition, but the tinkerman saw to it that our midfield would be in too much disarray to capitalise on it. Jorge on the LEFT?!! I can only assume that was a punishment for him leaving. Full backs (and I'll include Bennett in that as I'm feeling charitable) were poor and showed a lack of adventure. Pead in particular was terrible, and has no excuse what with him being a ...full back.

Constable and Nicholls failed to inspire. D Taylor is another Mark Wright : doesn't know when to run and when to pass. Can't cross.

Fryatt, Roper, Gerrard and Murphy all did fine. As for the rest, too many of them out of position, unfit, unwilling or unable.

As Geordie wrote, the Fryatt goal against Hartlepool masked an otherwise lacklustre performance. No saving grace today. We were poor. Until we can beat poor opposition at home we will not be going anywhere. Nor do we deserve to. :evil:

papering over the cracks now where have that before
good stuff KC (as usual )

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:06 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:papering over the cracks now where have that before

Cheers Dave. To me the match report on the front page was absolutely spot on. Hat's off to Neil for that. A really accurate view of the game.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:06 pm

sid swifty wrote:Well i take my hat off to you guys & girls who give your hard earned cash every week to pay the wages of players who according to your comments dont actually put themselves out during the game but are first in the queue at the cash machine on a monday morning to get your cash out and spend it,i bet they smile as they spend it,but never think of saying thank you by putting themselves out on match days or as with staunton he does'nt even need to turn up to get his cash.

I'd hazzard a guess that unlike the vast majority of clubs who get their players in for training on Xmas day (so they can curb their players drinking and eatign) that Merson said to them that they needn't come in as part of his motivational technique. Hence they were all pissed up eating a whole turkey each...and didn't it show.

Anyway they wouldn't be able to train on Xmas day because the university sports hall wouldn't have been open for business. :roll:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Well i take my hat off to you guys & girls who give your hard earned cash every week to pay the wages of players who according to your comments dont actually put themselves out during the game but are first in the queue at the cash machine on a monday morning to get your cash out and spend it,i bet they smile as they spend it,but never think of saying thank you by putting themselves out on match days or as with staunton he does'nt even need to turn up to get his cash.

I'd hazzard a guess that unlike the vast majority of clubs who get their players in for training on Xmas day (so they can curb their players drinking and eatign) that Merson said to them that they needn't come in as part of his motivational technique. Hence they were all pissed up eating a whole turkey each...and didn't it show. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Anyway they wouldn't be able to train on Xmas day because the university sports hall wouldn't have been open for business. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :oops:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:19 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Cheers Dave. To me the match report on the front page was absolutely spot on. Hat's off to Neil for that. A really accurate view of the game.

I'll take that as a compliment, KC. I wrote it this morning, so I had time to reflect. It would have been vitriolic last night!

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm

King Crimson wrote:

here here

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:48 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I'll take that as a compliment, KC. I wrote it this morning, so I had time to reflect. It would have been vitriolic last night!

Maybe we should get 'futuresobright' to write match reviews to bring balance to the board? :?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Excuse me, can all MOSOC members please not post anymore on this thread?

We are not allowed to make threads where we don't win longer than those when we do win as this makes it look like we only post to moan.

Thank you please!

walsall till death21

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:35 pm

It has to be said that Neil's match reports more often resemble 'Alice through the Looking Glass' than an objective account of the team's performance. Osborn's spluttering and increasingly erratic efforts are portrayed as master classes of a midfield maestro whilst Pead's pathetic efforts pass without censure.
Similarly, myths are repeated so often that nutters such Dave Dean accept them as fact. For example, the team are not fit (despite the fact that we continually end games so strongly) and Gerrard should have been in the team all season (without PM's strong guidance this year a promising player's career could be over). I could go on e.g. Joe Murphy is fat, Daryl Taylor and Mark Wright pull out of tackles, Gary Birch and Matty are lazy... yet the bleedin' obvious is never mentioned e.g. Merson is doing a good job, we have a squad with much more ability than CL left us, if Matty stays we shgould make the play-offs, yesterday we desrved to win by at least two goals,Osborn is hopeless and Pead is worse.
Up the saddlers.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Your location "planet zog" is perfect. A different planet indeed.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:40 pm

I take it 21 is his IQ?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:42 pm

King Crimson wrote:I take it 21 is his IQ?

Far too exaggerated! Anyway. don't post anymore. :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote: Anyway. don't post anymore. :wink:

Sorry, forgot.

Oh, sh*t! :x

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:44 pm

No probs.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:No probs.

Thanks, mate. :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:10 pm

walsall till death21 wrote:Osborn's spluttering and increasingly erratic efforts are portrayed as master classes of a midfield maestro whilst Pead's pathetic efforts pass without censure.
Similarly, myths are repeated so often that nutters such Dave Dean accept them as fact. For example, the team are not fit (despite the fact that we continually end games so strongly) and Gerrard should have been in the team all season (without PM's strong guidance this year a promising player's career could be over). I could go on e.g. Joe Murphy is fat, Daryl Taylor and Mark Wright pull out of tackles, Gary Birch and Matty are lazy... yet the bleedin' obvious is never mentioned e.g. Merson is doing a good job, we have a squad with much more ability than CL left us, if Matty stays we shgould make the play-offs, yesterday we desrved to win by at least two goals,Osborn is hopeless and Pead is worse.
Up the saddlers.

Osborn - Poor bloke didn't have any movement at all yesterday. You saw him and countless others get the ball, you saw them look up and then you could hear them curse under their breath.

I've seen more movement in a morgue than I did up front for us yesterday. Fryatt apart, it looked like we had 5 statues ahead of Osborn yesterday. If you actually watch the game, and not the ball, you may actually notice this.

Fitness - We've conceded the vast majority of our goals in the 2nd half of matches this season. That would say one of two things. (1) We're not fit or (2) Merson isn't tactically astute enough to respond to opposition changes.

As for deserving to win by two goals. What match did you watch yesterday, as you clearly weren't at Bescot.

Yesterday was the worst match I've seen this season, and I include being forced to watch Rushden vs Northampton with a mate earlier this season.

Two useless teams, no energy, no pace, little movement and no passion.

With a crowd 2000 up from the Hartlepool match, it was a fantastic opportunity to entice them back. Anyone with half a brain will make sure they're preparing for their New Years Eve pi$$ up instead of watching us take on Blackpool!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:37 pm

A few things:

(i) It was a poor performance but it was hardly out of the blue; we played no worse than we have in most of the previous seven games at home, all of which we won. We just didn't have Fryatt hauling us out of jail, for once, and we faced a reasonable team, for once (I can't believe people are saying they were rubbish after some of the dreck that's turned up against us of late)
(ii) I said a couple of weeks ago that Daryl Taylor needs a very long stretch in the reserves. It still applies. To be honest he hasn't played well since about September 2004. He just gets worse and worse now and it will only continue that way until he can get a bit of confidence back
(iii) With Leitao going and Fryatt probably going, I can't see anything other than a relegation scrap beckoning

There's cheerful!

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:06 pm

Bristol, did you really think they were good?

I honestly thought they were on a par with Rotherham and Gillingham in being absolutely bleedin awful. At least Gillingham were missing 6/7 players when they played us.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:40 pm

Stu wrote:Bristol, did you really think they were good?

I honestly thought they were on a par with Rotherham and Gillingham in being absolutely bleedin awful. At least Gillingham were missing 6/7 players when they played us.

Agree Stu. After less than 20 minutes I was saying "If we don't beat these lot we need shooting". Yet again we see another bunch of hopless losers playing at Bescot. Yet again we were, at best, no more than on a par with them. It's just this time we failed to find the finish that would've given us 3 undeserved points.

It just goes to show how flaky the constant bleatings of the happy clappers are. If somehow we'd manage to bundle a goal in off the referee's arse yesterday they would of been on here giving it large about how many games we'd won at Bescot, whilst totally ignoring the abject displays we've put in (well, why let reality get in the way of a bit of happy clapping ?).

If/when we get a solid team down Bescot on the peak of their performance and we put in a display like yesterday (or like the Hartlepool game) then we are in for one hell of a hiding.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season