Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere (H) - 26th December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Phil_G

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:33 pm

And while we're on about the Happy Clapper's, no any win is not a good win.

If our intention in life is just to avoid relegation to the fourth division, then yes any win is a good win.

But if we hold out any kind of rediculous notion that we may one day quite like to get promoted to the division above us, then no any win is not a good win. We need to show some consistency, a level of skill, fitness, an ability to beat comfortably poor teams like Tranmere, have a solid away record, infact all the things we currently don't have.

That's why the odd scraped 1-0 flukey win will not change my mind that Merson should go.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:36 am

Exactly Phil. The thing is, a flukey 1 - 0 win is often the only shred of an argument available to the happies. They can use their twisted minds to convince themselves it was another classy win in the latest chapter of the great Merson era.

Oh, God I'm so bored with this cack. Just go Merson, now.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:37 am

Phil_G wrote:And while we're on about the Happy Clapper's, no any win is not a good win.

If our intention in life is just to avoid relegation to the fourth division, then yes any win is a good win.

But if we hold out any kind of rediculous notion that we may one day quite like to get promoted to the division above us, then no any win is not a good win. We need to show some consistency, a level of skill, fitness, an ability to beat comfortably poor teams like Tranmere, have a solid away record, infact all the things we currently don't have.

That's why the odd scraped 1-0 flukey win will not change my mind that Merson should go.

Absolutely right Phil !

To be honest, after nearly 50 years watching Walsall FC, I've reached the stage where I'm not too sure I care that much any more. I used to expect us to play well and quite often win. Now I tend to expect a defeat and anything better than that is a bonus. That is what Merson has done to me, he hasn't a clue, never will have IMHO, and it hurts to think I've become resigned to expecting the worst ! :twisted:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:39 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
Phil_G wrote:And while we're on about the Happy Clapper's, no any win is not a good win.

Absolutely right Phil !

To be honest, after nearly 50 years watching Walsall FC, I've reached the stage where I'm not too sure I care that much any more. I used to expect us to play well and quite often win. Now I tend to expect a defeat and anything better than that is a bonus. That is what Merson has done to me, he hasn't a clue, never will have IMHO, and it hurts to think I've become resigned to expecting the worst ! :twisted:
HEAR,HEAR,GEOFF

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:17 am

Stu wrote:Bristol, did you really think they were good?

I honestly thought they were on a par with Rotherham and Gillingham in being absolutely bleedin awful. At least Gillingham were missing 6/7 players when they played us.

I didn't think they were that good no, but they were well-organised and fit, came to defend and hope to hit us on the break, and stuck to the task well, and until the last five minutes looked much more likely to win than we did.

We've got a very good defence, for only the second time under Merson (first being the tail end of last season). Who'd have thought it - injuries force him to play the same defence as didn't concede a goal in open play for five games at the end of last season and they're barely conceding again now. Unfortunately the midfield has slipped away and we're just not creating chances, for all the good work that Fryatt does.

I feel a bit sorry for Osborn. He hasn't been at all effective since returning from his injury but, like Neil, I suspect this is because of what's around him. Despite playing very deep, he is fundamentally a creative midfielder, but he doesn't get chance to do that when he's got players alongside him who wander about and are completely undisciplined, which is what happened on Saturday and indeed the previous game. He's in a completely different class from the 2005 version of Kinsella and I'm always bewildered by those who think Kinsella should be picked ahead of him, but he can't be the only one who plays. Kris Taylor looks like a completely different player from the one at the start of the season - perhaps it's due to his injury. I've been top of the queue of people calling out for him to get a game but he just hasn't done it. Standing can't play on the right wing. Daryl Taylor's present problems have been well-documented. I appreciate that Merson really hasn't had much choice about who to play in midfield, which seems completely bizarre given how many midfielders we had on the books at the start of the season, but that's how it's worked out. I daresay Merson will pick himself on the left wing tonight, but that's hardly ideal either.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:56 am

Bristol Fan wrote:I feel a bit sorry for Osborn. He hasn't been at all effective since returning from his injury but, like Neil, I suspect this is because of what's around him. Despite playing very deep, he is fundamentally a creative midfielder, but he doesn't get chance to do that when he's got players alongside him who wander about and are completely undisciplined, which is what happened on Saturday and indeed the previous game. He's in a completely different class from the 2005 version of Kinsella and I'm always bewildered by those who think Kinsella should be picked ahead of him, but he can't be the only one who plays.

When did Osborn last have a good game for us? Some time in September I think, against Scunthorpe if I remember correctly. He has played rubbish for us in ten games since then. Yet week after week his fan club blames everybody else for his abject performances. He has been with us long enough for the objective fan to judge which is the real Osborn. Is it the player who either passes backwards or gives the ball away; who never makes a good pass for our forwards; who never takes the ball forward; who wastes every dead ball he takes? This is the Osborn of 90% of his games for us. In fact since he has featured in about 100 games and played well in perhaps six I would say that 90% is understating the case.

When Osborn's performance level rose to satisfactory in the early part of this season it was clearly just a temporary blip.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:58 pm

You're right Bernie. Everytime Osborn has a bad game the same people come out with the same excuses. The midfield was no worse on Monday than at any other time this season, so how come Osborn wasn't struggling then ?

I'm the first to admit that for the first part of this season he has been much better than he was last season, however his performances have deteriorated lately, and that his down to himself, not others. That quick freekick he pinged straight to their player on Monday was symptomatic of Osborn at his worst.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:17 pm

It's not easy to pass to your own side when no one is moving and that's exactly what we had Monday. The ONLY movement was from Fryatt. All you are doing is deflecting criticism away from the man who deserves it.

futuresobright

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 pm

You mean Pead?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:20 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It's not easy to pass to your own side when no one is moving and that's exactly what we had Monday. The ONLY movement was from Fryatt. All you are doing is deflecting criticism away from the man who deserves it.

Neil.

Listen.

Osborn was excellent early in the season even though the midfield around was then shyte and with no movement.

The midfield has been shyte in the last few games but so has Osborn.

Why is it ok for Osborn to play well and take the plaudits but not get critisicm when he deserves it. Osborn is nowhere near the same player he was earlier in the season and it's got bugger all to do with the players around him.

FACT FACT FACT FACT FACT.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:24 pm

I don't think Ossie has been quite the same since returning from injury, but then again, we all know why as Mick Kearns blurted it out on Saddlers World commentary at the Forest match.

Namely that he isn't match fit and we rushed him back into the side, so he is getting match fitness by playing games.

Great management that is.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:30 pm

Stu wrote:I don't think Ossie has been quite the same since returning from injury, but then again, we all know why as Mick Kearns blurted it out on Saddlers World commentary at the Forest match.

Namely that he isn't match fit and we rushed him back into the side, so he is getting match fitness by playing games.

Agree Stu, I'm not blaming Osborn as a player. He's been rushed back but that isn't an excuse to defend his poor play.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:I don't think Ossie has been quite the same since returning from injury, but then again, we all know why as Mick Kearns blurted it out on Saddlers World commentary at the Forest match.

Agree Stu, I'm not blaming Osborn as a player. He's been rushed back but that isn't an excuse to defend his poor play.

Then blame the man maming the decisions, as it's his fault. Just like playing Smith and Staunton when they weren't fit, throwing Daryl Taylor back in when he ain't ready. I'm surprised he hasn't had Wrack out there on crutches.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:35 pm

OK, let's say that I accept that for the last ten games Osborn has played rubbish because he is recoverning from an injury and was put back in the side too soon. What is the excuse for the previous two seasons?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:37 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It's not easy to pass to your own side when no one is moving and that's exactly what we had Monday. The ONLY movement was from Fryatt. All you are doing is deflecting criticism away from the man who deserves it.
I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER TO PASS TO SOMEONE WHO WAS'NT MOVING NEIL :shock: I'LL GET MY COAT :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:42 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Then blame the man maming the decisions, as it's his fault. Just like playing Smith and Staunton when they weren't fit, throwing Daryl Taylor back in when he ain't ready. I'm surprised he hasn't had Wrack out there on crutches.

The difference now is Neil is that he's been back for a few games, is now fit and hasn't improved. And poor passing doesn't matter whether you're injured or not.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:The difference now is Neil is that he's been back for a few games, is now fit and hasn't improved. And poor passing doesn't matter whether you're injured or not.

Its all cuz 'es got 'imself a noo contract. 'E doh wanna no!

:wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:04 pm

I forgot about that. Expect him to start playing well towards the end of this contract then. :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:14 pm

I'm disappointed because I was enjoying see the new, revitalised Osborn. However the last 3 or 4 games he has been back to his bad old ways. You just CAN'T blame the rest of the midfield, they have been crap all season, so what's changed ? Osborns effort and performances that's what.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:55 pm

No Dave, the lack of match fitness can be blamed. He came back 2 weeks too soon and you can't half tell, because as you say, he isn't anywhere near the level he was prior to that injury.

Although I do think our midfied has made a difference. He had options earlier in the season, first Wright and then Demontagnac. Now he has neither of those, instead we have a centre forward playing left wing who keeps coming inside and a central midfielder on the right wing who keeps coming inside as well. So all he can do is play it long to the only person in the team who makes a run, Fryatt.

Hamstead Red

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:19 pm

And thats totaly pointless as we saw on Boxing day you cant hit it long and high to Fryatt , but thats what we'r doing more and more because theres no creator in midfield no one to make things happen thats where Skora was a big plus .

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Exactly... Without any wingers, 4-4-2 is pretty much pointless as the opposition just flood the middle of the park like Tranmere did. They force you to whack it long and giant centre halves gobble everything up.

Thats why we've been crying out for a big bloke up front, or a switch in the formation to allow us to play differently. Ironically, a 4-5-1 or 4-3-1-2 so somebody can float into the no mans land position to make something happen.

As without wingers, our game is pretty ordinary at best.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:35 pm

careful - this thread's getting a bit too long now. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season