Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool (H) - 17th December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:08 pm

Saddler Jim wrote:Have to agree with everyone the match was a bit dour,it was always going to take a quality pass and finish to win it luckely it was Walsall who did it,Merson did play well for 75% of the game but started to tire,getting caught in possesoin and giving the ball away to many times in the last quarter of the game,I thought he should have subed himself.defence again played very well,baring the first 10 minutes I thought that the pool never remotely looked like scoring the rest of the match.and we just about deserved to win.but we will have to play better if we are to progress on Tues.by the way Geoff did you save me a Scratching.

They weren't very good mate, left most of 'em in the bag on the table in the Saddlers Club - nip in tonight and you might find 'em still there ! :lol:

I'll have a few cards of those KVE ones that you supply mate, keep me goin' over Xmas. Just let me know where, and I'll meet up with you, OK?

sean511
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:20 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:I'd have given Man of the Match to Joe Murphy, he kept us in the game in the first half when our defence were still in the dressing room.

He only made one save all game.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:23 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I haven't commented about referees as much this season, but I thought yesterday's Ref was awful at times. I thought the worst decision was one he was close to and should have seen very easily, when Fryatt, heading goalwards down the centre of the pitch, was clearly hauled back by a defender grabbing him by the arm. The Ref waved play on, so he must have seen something happening or why would he have bothered to signal at all ? If he saw it, I find it unbelievable that he could have seen it as anything other than a foul, and in fact it was a clear yellow-card offence.

The offside was spot-on, as Leamore has said. By the time the ball was played to him, Matty had strayed about two yards into their half, and he was the only player that side of the half-way line. I commented at the time that all he needed to do was stay on the half-way line just in his own half, but he didn't!

So, BAD decision by Fryatt - GOOD decision by the linesman - absolutely NO doubt whatsoever.

Disagree there Geoff, there was a bit of a pull on Fryatt's shirt but it was minimal, he didn't even try to carry on which he could have done quite easily and been one on one with the keeper for a great chance to score. He goes down looking a foul too often for me especially when he had a great chance on then.

Otherwise Fryatt was brilliant yesterday, it seemed all game that we were going to create very fee chances for him so he went all over the pitch and dropped deep to try and create one for himself.

Midfield was all over the place yesterday, especially in the first half which reminded me so much of the games early last season with Osborn and Merson back together in midfield only this time we've got a good defence and keeper behind them.

So making 4 or 5 good passes through the game warrants 90 minutes on the pitch for Merson does it? He can get away with that yet others slate Taylor wasn't good enough but at least was trying. TEN MEN, WE ONLY NEED TEN MEN.

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win like that every week though although a bit more entertainment would be preferred.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Just a quick post to get the post count up and help stop Zippy posting sh!te.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:37 pm

And another one. Don't mention the game though, it's not in Zippy's rule book. He only post to moan about us moaners.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:13 pm

Save Our Message Board....HSZPS

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:27 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Save Our Message Board....HSZPS

Very good.

ZOSOMB

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I haven't commented about referees as much this season, but I thought yesterday's Ref was awful at times. I thought the worst decision was one he was close to and should have seen very easily, when Fryatt, heading goalwards down the centre of the pitch, was clearly hauled back by a defender grabbing him by the arm. The Ref waved play on, so he must have seen something happening or why would he have bothered to signal at all ? If he saw it, I find it unbelievable that he could have seen it as anything other than a foul, and in fact it was a clear yellow-card offence.

The offside was spot-on, as Leamore has said. By the time the ball was played to him, Matty had strayed about two yards into their half, and he was the only player that side of the half-way line. I commented at the time that all he needed to do was stay on the half-way line just in his own half, but he didn't!

So, BAD decision by Fryatt - GOOD decision by the linesman - absolutely NO doubt whatsoever.

Disagree there Geoff, there was a bit of a pull on Fryatt's shirt but it was minimal, he didn't even try to carry on which he could have done quite easily and been one on one with the keeper for a great chance to score. He goes down looking a foul too often for me especially when he had a great chance on then.

Dunno where you were sitting Mark, but I'll tell you I was side on to it and Fryatt ran 9-10 yards with the guy holding his arm and pulling him back. Maybe you're thinking of some other incident, but no way am I wrong about this one.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:51 pm

Same incident Geoff. I was sat directly in front of it. It was a foul you are right but some players would have tried a bit more to shirk off the challenge to try and score. I just thought Fryatt went down a bit easily and I wasn't the only one by us who thought the same.

Generally the ref had a good game. I think some people think they don't because they don't want the refs to be good but we've had far worse than Mr Singh yesterday.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 pm

I must start telling the ticket office which seats I DON'T want to sit in in future. The last two games I've been sititng by these 2 or 3 old blokes that do nothing but slag EVERY Fryatt touch. Non - fudge - stop. Apparently he dosn't ever release the ball, they haven't quite figured out yet that it could be because 90% of the time he receives the ball there ain't another player within 20 yards of him. Also he's not very good at controlling the balls played to him, they again fail to realise that humping 30 yard balls up to him, about 12 foot in the air isn't really playing to his strengths.

I had major satisfaction turning round to them and flicking the V's when he scored, shouting "Fourteen goals, fourteen fudge goals". Childish, but it felt good.

Put him in a team that plays little balls into his feet and clever diagonal passes and that lad will fudge clean up. He's already on course for 25 goals this season with our "lump it forward" mentality.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Could all the moaners please stop it and get behind the lads? Post count duly upped. :wink:

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:19 pm

Exile wrote:Could all the moaners please stop it and get behind the lads? Post count duly upped. :wink:

Well said Exile.

MICOUSS

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:55 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Same incident Geoff. I was sat directly in front of it. It was a foul you are right but some players would have tried a bit more to shirk off the challenge to try and score. I just thought Fryatt went down a bit easily and I wasn't the only one by us who thought the same.

Generally the ref had a good game. I think some people think they don't because they don't want the refs to be good but we've had far worse than Mr Singh yesterday.

Problem is MMF, sat directly in front of it you get a different view and a different perspective, the side view was so much better. It's always the same if someone is running towards you rather than across you, you can't judge the distance as well.

I can tell you, for certain, Matty ran 9-10 yards with that bloke pulling him back. He gave up because he couldn't shake him off and he turned to the Ref for some deserved action - but the idiot just failed to see what had gone on.

Everyone around me saw it that way, they couldn't believe the Ref failed to give a free kick and I'd argue that our perspective on it was better than the "behind the goal" perspective that you had. Even so, you still say it was a foul, and you're dead right. :D

Incidentally MMF, Matty did NOT go down at all in that incident, so in that respect you are wrongly accusing him of going down easily. He pulled up and turned to the Ref for some response, and got none!

Ace

Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:00 am

sean511 wrote:
AC_Loyalist wrote:I'd have given Man of the Match to Joe Murphy, he kept us in the game in the first half when our defence were still in the dressing room.

He only made one save all game.

He made a couple in the first 10 minutes, and it'd have only taken us to go 1-0 down for the game to turn.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:34 am

Dave Roe wrote:I must start telling the ticket office which seats I DON'T want to sit in in future. The last two games I've been sititng by these 2 or 3 old blokes that do nothing but slag EVERY Fryatt touch. Non - fudge - stop. Apparently he dosn't ever release the ball, they haven't quite figured out yet that it could be because 90% of the time he receives the ball there ain't another player within 20 yards of him. Also he's not very good at controlling the balls played to him, they again fail to realise that humping 30 yard balls up to him, about 12 foot in the air isn't really playing to his strengths.

I had major satisfaction turning round to them and flicking the V's when he scored, shouting "Fourteen goals, fourteen fudge goals". Childish, but it felt good.

Put him in a team that plays little balls into his feet and clever diagonal passes and that lad will fudge clean up. He's already on course for 25 goals this season with our "lump it forward" mentality.

I heard them as well, moaning at him all match.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:35 am

Ooops sorry, I thought this was the thread for moaning about Stafflers.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:37 am

Never mind, kept the post count up!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 am

Didn’t have time to put the match report on at the weekend, purely because it’s Christmas next week and we were just far, far too busy. However, I have out my thoughts on the front page in an editorial.

A couple of other points which aren’t covered. Nicholls is not ready to start and simply shouldn’t have. Bring him off the bench to use his pace, fine, but I thought he looked out of his depth most of the game.

We were woeful in the middle of the park. Completely over-run most of the time. Merson looked what he was, a luxury, and Daryl Taylor was far too lightweight. Fox does a reasonable job, but isn’t a midfielder and Kris Taylor should be starting ahead of him.

Can I just also add that Merson’s set piece delivery was almost uniformly rubbish and of those three 50 yard diagonal balls he played that everyone was raving about, all three were telegraphed and cut out by the full back, so all he did was give possession away. The pass to Fryatt was sumptious, but it was Fryatt’s movement made it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:08 am

Agree with much of that. Fox is the best left back at the club, so he should play there. I'd have Roper and Gerrard as our first choice centre halves, which leaves Bennett on the bench. I'd play K Taylor in midfield until Standing is fit again. I eally feel we miss someone able to penetrate from midfield with the ball. The biggest roar from the crowd (apart from the goal) was when Fox broke clear and won the free kick just outside the box. That sort of move is distinct by its absence, and its what made Skora and Surman so exciting to watch. D Taylor is lightweight. Nicholls isn't ready, we are not convincing. In my view, if Fryatt was wearing a Hartlepool shirt yesterday, they'd have won the game. He caused problems for their back line all afternoon, and has the quality to change games.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:12 am

Exile wrote:Never mind, kept the post count up!

Excellent post Exile, I couldn't agree more.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:15 am

King Crimson wrote:Agree with much of that. Fox is the best left back at the club, so he should play there. I'd have Roper and Gerrard as our first choice centre halves, which leaves Bennett on the bench. I'd play K Taylor in midfield until Standing is fit again. I eally feel we miss someone able to penetrate from midfield with the ball. The biggest roar from the crowd (apart from the goal) was when Fox broke clear and won the free kick just outside the box. That sort of move is distinct by its absence, and its what made Skora and Surman so exciting to watch. D Taylor is lightweight. Nicholls isn't ready, we are not convincing. In my view, if Fryatt was wearing a Hartlepool shirt yesterday, they'd have won the game. He caused problems for their back line all afternoon, and has the quality to change games.

I thinbk I'd agree with all of that!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:22 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
I thinbk I'd agree with all of that!

The reason I only agreed with 'much' of your post Neil, was that I refuse to accept that family time at Christmas should come ahead of your responsibility for posting a match report on here for us. Its a matter of priorities, Neil. Get it sorted!! :roll:

:wink:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:28 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Never mind, kept the post count up!

Excellent post Exile, I couldn't agree more.

On reflection I was wrong to say I couldn't agree more, of course I could, so here goes. I agree more.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:31 am

This is ridiculous. A two page match thread after we have won. It's just not on. :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:35 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:This is ridiculous. A two page match thread after we have won. It's just not on. :wink:

I couldn't agree more. :wink:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:53 am

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:This is ridiculous. A two page match thread after we have won. It's just not on. :wink:

Yes you could, you're just not trying.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:25 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Yes you could, you're just not trying.

Hey! I know me, alright! I am doing my very best at agreeing already. There's nothing else to give. I'm totally committed to MMF's opinion. Leave it out with the witch hunt, alright? Get of my back, and ....get behind the lad! :x

:wink:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:59 am

I am behind him, I just think if you take a step back from the trees then there can often be a degree more visible wood. This is just my opinion, not a fact by the way. If a tree in the wood fell over while I was stepped back from it, and I didn't see it then who knows whether it really happened? or who to blame? That's why I like reading Leamore's posts.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:07 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I am behind him, I just think if you take a step back from the trees then there can often be a degree more visible wood. This is just my opinion, not a fact by the way. If a tree in the wood fell over while I was stepped back from it, and I didn't see it then who knows whether it really happened? or who to blame? That's why I like reading Leamore's posts.

Paul Merson? :shock:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:14 pm

This thread is getting to the point where you need to be under the influence of a spliff to understand it, so here goes! yes man,i see it all now,like wow man! :shock:

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season