Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool (H) - 17th December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:55 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Boring 1-0 win for us...

Spot on Jorge14, summed it up very well the day before the game got going - that's if it ever DID get going.

Not a lot of quality at all from Walsall, but love him or loathe him, what bits there were came mainly from Merson with some superb touches and lay-offs, including of course the one that decided the game, putting Matty through for a cool finish.

Other than that, a rather dire game that had 0-0 written all over it until that one moment arrived.

Excellent performances from Roper and Gerrard, I see that Gerrard got MoM but I might have given it to Roper.

Couldn't understand our continual insistence on banging long balls down the middle for their big central defender to mop up. Don't know his name, but he had an excellent game too, and gave very little away. But we played right into his hands over and over again, and with both Merse and Ozzie on the pitch, I'd have thought that would have been spotted and sorted out.

Altogether a very disappointing game that will do nothing to encourage the fans to come back. Most of the time I though it was probably going to be a 0-0, or maybe they'd snatch the winner, so it's nice to get the points on the day.

If I was a monkey-hanger though, I'd be feeling pretty-well peed off tonight, and rather like I'd been mugged !

amazing red

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:04 pm

only comment on the lads if you go to the game

WFC4Eva

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:07 pm

Good prediction mate!

I though both sides cancelled each other out and we managed to pinch 3 valuable points with another goal from open play for Matty!

i agreed with the man of the match in Gerrard, thought he was outstanding and along with Roper helped keep them out.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:08 pm

amazing red wrote:only comment on the lads if you go to the game
WELL IN THAT CASE,ONLY COMMENT ON MUSIC IF YOU SEE IT BEING RECORDED,OR A FILM IF YOU SEE IT BEING FILMED OR A BOOK IF YOU KNOW THE WRITER PESONALLY....SHALL WE GO ON? :shock:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Why not ? Thought this was a free message board.

amazing red

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:10 pm

:D :D :D now now ladies :D :D :D

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Poor game today, settled by a moment of class from Merson and Matty.

At the risk of upsetting some people (Dave Roe et al.) I felt Merson had quite a decent first half but the second half showed that he hasn't got the legs for a full game any more.

Defensively I felt that we were solid, Gerrard and Roper were very good in the centre of defence while Pead and Bennett did an okay job at full back.

In midfield, Fox did a pretty good job until he was replaced by Taylor (was he injured?). Osborn did a tidy job and Merson as covered above had half a decent game. I was disappointed in Daryl Taylor in asmuch as he kept bottling out of challenge after challenge.

Fryatt had his usual busy game while Nicholls tried hard but his inexperience showed at times.

There is a saying that a good team can still win when not playing very well. In that case we must be absolute world beaters as we keep winning at home without ever looking convincing.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:30 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Couldn't understand our continual insistence on banging long balls down the middle for their big central defender to mop up. Don't know his name, but he had an excellent game too, and gave very little away. But we played right into his hands over and over again, and with both Merse and Ozzie on the pitch, I'd have thought that would have been spotted and sorted out.

Hasn't this been the tactic of choice for some time? Are we not generally a long ball team? Tht's what I've been reading for the last few months...

sir geoffrey of whiting wrote:If I was a monkey-hanger though, I'd be feeling pretty-well peed off tonight, and rather like I'd been mugged !

There's no chance of them feeling well-hung then? :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:39 pm

A Walsall win is a Walsall win and I don't care how well they played - more than enough cause for celebration I reckon, well, down here at least :wink:

Now it really is fortress Bescot! :D

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:34 pm

Not the prettiest game you'll ever see, but I though it was a solid match from two decent teams.

Both defenses were superb today, both teams limited to very few clear-cut chances.
You could tell that this was either gonna be 0-0 or settled by a piece of magic... and was I glad to see that little glimps of magic come from our team!
Quality ball from Merson and fabulous control and finish by Fryatt.

We lacked the width today... we badly missed Jorge and Ishmel.

Thats not taking anything away from Alex Nicholls (who I think is an excellent prospect) or Daryl Taylor (who still seems to be frightened of picking up another injury), but I thought that the experience and workrate of Jorge especially was missing in our final third today.

But a win is a win. I'll take that.
Another clean sheet too.

Our boys can take a lot of confidence from today.

Marty

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Not an enjoyable game but as soon as i heard the team news i had a feeling it was going to be a scrappy one.

The young lad up front looks like a good prospect. Merson had a great first half and his first touch and distribution put him head and shoulders above everyone else on the field.

Does anyone else think that we've just seen the two best consectuive Paul Merson performances since he arrived.

Matty took his goal well.

Murphy never had that much to do.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Oh... And the Ref was awful too.

Matty was clean through in the first half, only to be blatantly hauled back by the defender.

I was sure he was going to put that away.
We'd have gone on to win a bit more comfortably if he had!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:40 pm

suprised again by the team selection why Kris Taylor did'nt start dispite a lack of a
left sided midfielder although Fox did a decent enough job. suprised that Nicholls started
ahead of Constable.
Very poor performance but a win is a win and we had key players missing so lets try
and be positive one good thing is if Merse dos'nt know now that Gerrard and Roper are
his best two centre backs he never will

KJC
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Marty wrote:Does anyone else think that we've just seen the two best consectuive Paul Merson performances since he arrived.

No Marty.
He was absent for too much of the second half for me.
Needs to work more on his fitness if he is to be worthy of playing another full 90.

Then again, did nothing for almost all fo the 2nd half then pops up with that excellent ball to Fryatt.
But a bit of a luxury that we can ill afford at the moment, though!

Please Merson, get some extra work done on that Training Ground :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:44 pm

Almost forgot M O S O C

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Just call me a genius and be done with it... :wink:

I thought we were decent value for the 3 points, to lose it in the last 5 minutes was harsh on Hartlepool, but I think overall we did enough to get the win.

I thought Merson had a very good first half, except for his corners. Once he moved in to the middle after about 20 minutes we took control of the first half and carved out some really decent chances. Some of his balls in an other wise dismal second half display were magnificent, too.
Nicholls did alot of running, and it is encouraging to see another lad given a chance. He never really looked like scoring, but his pace certainly troubled their defence and he was good value for his starting place.
I thought Fryatt looked isolated all game. It was certainly his least effective game for a good month or so. He took his goal fantastically, and I always feel he looks better when Merson is on the park. Merse is the only other bloke at the club with a football brain on Fryatt's level, and some of their link-up play is superb.
The Back 4 performed very well, but we keep saying it, Bennett is never a left-back. I thought Fox had his least effective game in the middle today, and we actually improved once he went off I thought. Personally, I'd have Fox back at left back on Tuesday. As unfair to Bennett as it would be to drop him, I think we look more balanced with Fox at left back.
Roper and Gerrard look to be growing as a partnership. Its a good headache for Merson to have, as we have 4 centre backs who were/are in good form (Roper, Bennett, Staunton and Gerrard) plus Westwood who really should be pushing to start.

A wins a win, though. It was a disjointed performance but gives us another win at home, gets us back in the top half and gives a well-earned clean sheet which the defence deserved for last weeks performance.

The next 4 league games are all more than winnable, but then again, January is always a poor month for us, whoever the manager is.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:14 pm

I would like to comment on the match,but I respect your wishes.So,erm,...........it was bloody chockablock in Brum today.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:25 pm

kevin wrote:

I would like to comment on the match,but I respect your wishes.So,erm,...........it was bloody chockablock in Brum today.

The Bakery was full of bread today aswell, ready for all the panic buying idiots next week

Phil_G

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:32 pm

current home record this season is:
w d l gf ga
6 3 2 18 14

away form is:
w d l gf ga
2 3 6 14 18

spooky or what?

Hednesfordred

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:19 am

Good result against a side who have a good away record. Not a great performance, but did enough. Thought Gerrard & Roper were again outstanding, and thought Nicholls had a reasonable debut.
I think the game showed more than anything though, how we miss Jorge when he's not in the side. Not only for his energy & committment, but also his ability in the air.

One last mention to the ref & his assistants. Marks out of 10, well 1 for turning up. Ref had a very poor game. But the incident that summed them up was the offside decision near the end. Absoluely ludicrous. Good job it didnt cost us the game or he would have been lynched.

Up the Saddlers.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:30 am

Hednesfordred wrote:Ref had a very poor game. But the incident that summed them up was the offside decision near the end. Absoluely ludicrous. Good job it didnt cost us the game or he would have been lynched.

Up the Saddlers.

I beg to differ, Hednesfordred, but the offside indication by the assistant referee was absolutely spot on. I was sitting in line and Fryatt WAS about half a yard offside when the ball was played.

Also, I don't think that the referee had a poor game. His performance would have got a 7 or 8 out of 10. The fact that the match was boring crap was not the fault of the match officials!

MOSOC

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:53 am

To be honest, I actually nodded off during the first half. Of course I put this down to the recent explosion of my social life, the overtime at work, the 5.30 rise that morning, and the pre match beer. Nothing to do with the game I swear :D .

Delighted with the win, wasn't expecting it to be honest. Thought the late Fryatt offside decision was scandelous, but I'll bow to Leamores superior knowledge, (and positioning in the ground).

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Awful, awful performance again. emphasise the word 'again'

Fox is NOT a midfield player, never will be. Kris Taylor IS a midfielder, and is on the bench, amazing. Merse did ok, some good touches, but then again the happy clappers dont notice the countless times he gave the ball away and put us in trouble. If The pools had a decent striker, it would have been 3 or 4 by half time.

I thought i was dreaming when we scored, utter daylight robbery, to add to the utter drivel that i witnessed.

UTS

MOSOC

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:35 pm

Well it sounded prettydire on the commentary ( M.Kearns reckoned midfield to blame for performance with Osborne & Merson not suitable playing together?) but I'm still really looking forward to the trips to Bradford & Barnsley after christmas!

Ace

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:49 pm

I'd have given Man of the Match to Joe Murphy, he kept us in the game in the first half when our defence were still in the dressing room.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Hednesfordred wrote:Ref had a very poor game. But the incident that summed them up was the offside decision near the end. Absoluely ludicrous. Good job it didnt cost us the game or he would have been lynched.

Up the Saddlers.

I beg to differ, Hednesfordred, but the offside indication by the assistant referee was absolutely spot on. I was sitting in line and Fryatt WAS about half a yard offside when the ball was played.

Also, I don't think that the referee had a poor game. His performance would have got a 7 or 8 out of 10. The fact that the match was boring crap was not the fault of the match officials!

MOSOC

I haven't commented about referees as much this season, but I thought yesterday's Ref was awful at times. I thought the worst decision was one he was close to and should have seen very easily, when Fryatt, heading goalwards down the centre of the pitch, was clearly hauled back by a defender grabbing him by the arm. The Ref waved play on, so he must have seen something happening or why would he have bothered to signal at all ? If he saw it, I find it unbelievable that he could have seen it as anything other than a foul, and in fact it was a clear yellow-card offence.

The offside was spot-on, as Leamore has said. By the time the ball was played to him, Matty had strayed about two yards into their half, and he was the only player that side of the half-way line. I commented at the time that all he needed to do was stay on the half-way line just in his own half, but he didn't!

So, BAD decision by Fryatt - GOOD decision by the linesman - absolutely NO doubt whatsoever.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Geoff dont get sayin anything about the Ref, else you will be racist :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:10 pm

' Sing when your reffing, you only sing when your reffing'

:lol: 8)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:27 pm

A defeat yesterday would have put us in 17th. Victory lifts us to 11th. That's how tight things are and why its so improtant to hit a decent patch of form over the festive period.

Fryatt made the difference. Yes, our defence played well (although I'd rather see Fox at full back than Bennett, who still struggles in my view). If Hartlepool had had Fryatt, we would have lost. Merse looked good first half, and faded, but once we had three strikers on the pitch, we needed Merson as he is probably the best player to unlock a defence with a killer ball in the division.

A good result, but not a great performance.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:34 pm

Have to agree with everyone the match was a bit dour,it was always going to take a quality pass and finish to win it luckely it was Walsall who did it,Merson did play well for 75% of the game but started to tire,getting caught in possesoin and giving the ball away to many times in the last quarter of the game,I thought he should have subed himself.defence again played very well,baring the first 10 minutes I thought that the pool never remotely looked like scoring the rest of the match.and we just about deserved to win.but we will have to play better if we are to progress on Tues.by the way Geoff did you save me a Scratching.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season