Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (A) - League - 10th December 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:01 pm

I'd have taken a point before the game, I'm happy we got one with 10 men for most of it.

Well done the team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:07 pm

Lanzarote Saddler wrote:Fryatt is a much better player than Tyson so why is Merson putting a meagre £300,000 price tag on his head? Half a million at least!

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same - Tyson disappointed me today. He looked very left-footed and a bit one-dimensional. Having said that, I thought Gerrard was immense today which probably had something to do with it.
Ishmel is a disgrace for what happened today. The sending off was bad enough and fully deserved, but fighting with your own coaching staff is just unacceptable. Before he got sent off he was a bit of a luxury really - defensively naive & kept giving the ball away far too easily.
Merson surprised me today - I thought he played really well (until he tired towards the end). I loved the gesture he made to the forest fans who had been calling him fat. :lol:
Murphy's two saves in the first half were (as Merson would say) "worldy" saves. It would be great if we could sign him permanently.
I still don't see Fox being a success in centre midfield but he made a couple of his usual crunching tackles.

Overall, apart from Ishmel, nobody disappointed me today. Forest never looked like breaking us down in open play and if we'd had 11 players on the pitch, I'd have fancied our chances of winning the game.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:08 pm

'YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVING FEELING'

hmm, well, quite an interesting game. Football wasnt great, but we didnt have much choice in the second half to be fair.
Murphy - blimey, the bloke earnt his wages today. Some outstanding saves today, kept us in it. Took Breckin four attempts to beat him.

Demo - the kid just completely lost his rag, was trying to scrap with everyone. Mind you, Southall, cheating little prick.

Overall, a gritty display where everyone dug in and battled for the result.

Well done team.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:20 pm

BACKS TO THE WALL LADS.... well the second half was. Fryatt played well seeing as he was isolated for most of the match.. With 11 men it could have been a different game but young Ishmel lost it bigtime, even squaring up to Kinsella on the bench before being dragges down the tunnel.

Heavy handed stewards seemed to think they were in a nightclub rather than a football match :shock:

A good point and even I will admit that Merson wasn't as bad as he has been :?

I would be VERY dissapointed tonight, though, if i were a Forest fan. :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Frank Barlow's comments:

"Walsall made it very difficult for us in the second half and they deserve a lot of credit for that.
"It was disappointing and frustrating but when you are a goal down against ten men, it was important that we equalised and gave ourselves the chance of getting a winner in the second half.
"We did a lot of good things - and there were plusses for us in the match - but at the end of it we were left disappointed and frustrated.
"Their defence got some great encouragement from the saves that the keeper made in the first half and in all honesty we needed more creativity in the final third of the field.
"Our season is like a roller coaster with the ups and downs we have but it's fair to say that the players are very disappointed in seeing a chance to get three more points pass them by here."

In the light of that, three disappointing aspects to today's game:
1. Ishmel, as others have commented above;
2. We concede another goal from a cross;
3. If we can 'make it difficult' for a team like Forest, in front of 20,000, with their home record and with us having ten men, then why do we go to Oldham (a team we should beat) and make it easy for them? Infuriating.

Even so, a good point today against a team we've now taken four points from this season. Well done all (apart from Ishy - grow up son.)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:21 pm

A quick mention for Big Joe in goal today, 2 first half saves were "world clarse" as a certain "manager" would say. :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:23 pm

Ah yes, the stewards seem to enjoy their job

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:25 pm

Just got back. A fighting performance from the lads. Well done one and all. Good to see UCOW, PG Tips, SJ and Jorge14. Up the Saddlers.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:56 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Ishmel is a disgrace for what happened today. The sending off was bad enough and fully deserved, but fighting with your own coaching staff is just unacceptable. Before he got sent off he was a bit of a luxury really - defensively naive & kept giving the ball away far too easily.

Love the avatar Rob! Hero to zero...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:59 pm

WSOne wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Ishmel is a disgrace for what happened today. The sending off was bad enough and fully deserved, but fighting with your own coaching staff is just unacceptable. Before he got sent off he was a bit of a luxury really - defensively naive & kept giving the ball away far too easily.

Love the avatar Rob! Hero to zero...

:oops: Oh yeah - I think I might have to change it now!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:15 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:3. If we can 'make it difficult' for a team like Forest, in front of 20,000, with their home record and with us having ten men, then why do we go to Oldham (a team we should beat) and make it easy for them? Infuriating.

Because its very easy to get excited and too want to perform in front of 20,000 people where you can make a name for yourself...

A cold Tuesday night in front of 4,000 is a completely different story...

And there in lies our problem, far more teams that play at cowsheds with 4,000 crowds than 20,000+ nice stadia.
Last edited by Stu on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:15 am

Must say Well odne to the lads today. Once Ishy got sent off I expected Forest to steam roll us, but they didnt. Joe Murphy aka cheesburger made 2 class saves (two saves wacka would have been proud of). I thought Pead,Ropes,Gerrard and Bennett all played well. D.Taylor was useless and thats being polite.

Onto the sending off, we should throw the book at him. Imagine if it was in Graydons reign and Ishy had attacked Halsall, he would have been on his bike. Guess it shows hes got a little more go in him than D.Taylor but still shouldnt square up to his own players!! Playing with 10 men for so long really showed the fight and determination we have been lacking for sometime.

A little mention for Merse, there were moans and groans when his name was in the starting X1 but I thought he played well today, slowed the game down at times and did some trademark passing as well as crossing the ball for the goal.

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:32 am

wfc_2uk wrote: slowed the game down at times

in the positive or negative way??

toffo
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:23 am

Just saw ishmel sending off on the box, it looked a bit harsh to me,handbags, no hand in the face or anything.
He should have got booked for a little kick out at their player, but if he sends Ishy off the forest lad has to go too,

Ishy stood up for himself when the forest player squared up to him, pushed him back when he got pushed, i expected a lot worse when reading the reports on here.

He's young ,its in the heat of the moment and he will learn how not to retaliate as he gets older.
At least hes got a bit of passion and agression to his game.

Didier Tholot

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:26 am

In the positive way, Ken. Showed his experience with little bits of time wasting and generally helped us to keep hold of the ball. I just hope he hasn't convinced himself he should be a regular starter though.

Fryatt worked his socks off, linked play well and scared their defence to death when he got the ball at his feet and could run at them. How anyone can consider a straight swap with Skora or £250k good value is amazing.

The defence and Murphy to a man were outstanding - would be extremely harsh on Gerrard if he were to lose his place after a performance like that.

Fox looks increasingly comfortable in centre mid, credit to Merson for seeing that he has the ability to play there.

D Taylor was getting some stick from fans around me and, to be fair, he lost the ball too easily at times. But the lad absolutely ran himself into the ground and, even when he made mistakes, didn't hide. Give him a few matches to find match fitness and confidence and he'll come good.

Couldn't see the Ishmel incident that clearly but he looked like he kicked out at their player, raised his hands to another and didn't want to go when shown the red card. Just hope we throw the book at him and that he learns from this.

All in all, more positives to be taken from an away match than in a long time, but it's how we build on this that will be the judge of the manager and team.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:38 am

Like you, Toffo, I've just seen it on TV and a yellow card would have been more appropriate and, yes, the Forest player got off scot free.

However, the Demon DOES have an anger management problem and a sending-off was always on the cards (no pun intended!). He will soon get a reputation and opponents will wind him up (remember Bournemoth and Julian Bennett?). He cannot tackle to save his life and concedes countless fouls as a consequence. He always looks as if he is about to be cautioned. I must commend Merson for giving him a bollocking and I hope he follows it up with further action this week. We cannot afford to have another player suspended - we are already down to our last 36 registered players, now! :D

People within the club have told me disappointing tales about Ishmel's immature attitude around the club. I hope he doesn't go the same way as Leroy because he is, without doubt, a tremendous prospect.

toffo
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:51 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:Like you, Toffo, I've just seen it on TV and a yellow card would have been more appropriate and, yes, the Forest player got off scot free.

People within the club have told me disappointing tales about Ishmel's immature attitude around the club. I hope he doesn't go the same way as Leroy because he is, without doubt, a tremendous prospect.

He's got an immature attitude cause he's still young.
I know what i was like when i was 17!

I'd rather a player show a bit of fight and agression rather than not tackle or fight for the ball. Lets be honest we all know when a player is giving 100% for the cause and like it when they show full commitment.

He was silly but he stood up for himself under extreme provocation and hopefully someone can learn him how to tackle without getting himself into trouble too often.

Take Rooney for example, people were slating him for ages when he was getting booked and sent off but agression and fight are major parts of his game.but now He is learning slowly and channelling the agression into the proper way.

Lets just hope that Ishy turns out to be half the player Rooney is then we will all be happy.!

Marty

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:52 am

I'm astounded at the level of negativity people have about the game. I'd say it is 80% negative 20 % positive on the basis of what i've read.

Cheer up . Well done to the people who are pleased about today.

It was one of those away days that will always stick out in my memory.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:07 am

Excellent performance yesterday, a really enjoyable day and I thought both teams played some good football at times and it would have been interesting to see 11 v 11 for 90 minutes. Again we see we have nothing to fear in this league other than our own tendancy to self-destruct.

Merson played well and contributed as much as anyone, Matty too his goal well and Murphy was superb. Well worth a tenner to get in.

Just goes to show again that 4-5-1 (or whatever it was) is more effective away from home than 4-4-2. Battling away performances are always enjoyable in my book and I'm lucky ebough to have seen two wins two draws and only one defeat fom the 5 aways I've been to this season!!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:38 pm

Grear result . Defence was solid exp Roper and Gerrard,Murphy must have had his best game in goal for Walsall pulling off 3 amazing saves. Fryatt alsohad a very good game , working hard on his own up front.

As for Ismel , the lad is still young, he is only 17 after all and has come straight from the Youth team. He is always going to be a target for players winding him up , but he has got to the learn the hard way. Comparing him with Leroy Williams we cannot not do , Leroy was a complete nutter and know is wanting to be a Gangster in brum

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Excellent performance yesterday, a really enjoyable day and I thought both teams played some good football at times and it would have been interesting to see 11 v 11 for 90 minutes. Again we see we have nothing to fear in this league other than our own tendancy to self-destruct.

Merson played well and contributed as much as anyone, Matty too his goal well and Murphy was superb. Well worth a tenner to get in.

Just goes to show again that 4-5-1 (or whatever it was) is more effective away from home than 4-4-2. Battling away performances are always enjoyable in my book and I'm lucky ebough to have seen two wins two draws and only one defeat fom the 5 aways I've been to this season!!

Great day out and i couldn't agree more with the if only comment of 11 v 11. I honestly thik Forest could have been struggling if we'd had all the players on the pitch for 90 mins.

Ish DID deserve his red from where we were. He simply shouldn't have done it. Merson shouldn't go mental about his tackling of lack of it so openly though.

Murphy was brilliant. at last we showed a wee bit of fight for once.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:02 pm

toffo wrote:
He's got an immature attitude cause he's still young.
I know what i was like when i was 17!

Take Rooney for example, people were slating him for ages when he was getting booked and sent off but agression and fight are major parts of his game.but now He is learning slowly and channelling the agression into the proper way.

Lets just hope that Ishy turns out to be half the player Rooney is then we will all be happy.!

He won't. In addition, playing where Rooney does, and given his physique, a 'physical' side to his game is inevitable and even desirable. As a consequence, I think you have to take the bookings etc. as part and parcel of the package (not that that excuses his petulance, and I still hate it when he uses his youth as an excuse for stupidity "I'm jus a yung lad enjoyin me football" :roll: ) . Ishmel is a slip of a girl, playing out on the wing. He needs pace and quality. To read the game and make correct decisions. I cannot see how aggression (above that required to win the ball) is an attribute.

You're right. He is 17. Merson knows his age, and chooses to play him.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 pm

Didier Tholot wrote:Fox looks increasingly comfortable in centre mid, credit to Merson for seeing that he has the ability to play there.

I agree in the sense that Fox looks increasingly comfortable at left back, although he's a lot better at left back than he is in central midfield. Other than the fact that he can perhaps win more 'crunching' tackles in there, I don't think he's ann=y better than Kris Taylor, who is a lot better positionally. Having said that, I'm happy for Fox to play there ehile we've got injuries - I just hope Merson doesn't try to make him into a midfielder as he has the potential to become a very good Championship, or even Premiership left back.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm

A bit late with this, just got back via Nottingham and then a family booze up [er, christening] in Essington on Sunday!

First the match. Thoroughly deserved the point, though how the game would have turned out with 11 versus 11 is a matter of conjecture as the sending off made it a completely different match. We seem to be harder to score against with ten men if Forest and Bournemouth are anything to go by! The back four were all superb and I would not wish to single any of them out. Murphy made some excellent saves, particularly the first from Breckin when he flung himself to the right with a fine one handed save. Gordon Banks eat your heart out!

Fryatt worried them all game and took his goal well. As has been said elsewhere, he worried their defence whenever he was near the ball. Quality.

Merson did better than I thought he would, but I would still feel better if we played without him. However, I concede that his presence may have helped in this game, so fair play to him.

Fox and Osborn were both tidy though Taylor looked ineffective and too lightweight, although even then he frightened the Forest defence a couple of times. It was his fault for conceding the free kick that led to the goal though. The Demon? Well its all been said.. hopefully he will learn.

When Kris Taylor came on I thought we stepped it up a bit, giving us some additional energy and impetus. He must start against Hartlepool, surely?

Other observations:

The Public announcer. What a w*****. Never even informed us of who scored our goal [a few of us were not sure at the time]. A complete lack of respect. Memo to Forest; away fans are customers too.

Just after the Demon was sent off, their followed a period of play where Forest were diving all over the place at even the sightest contact. Thankfully, the referee booked Bastians and it relented, though it did indicate how desperate they were - they never looked like scoring from open play throughout the game.

The local Saturday evening rag had the headline " Forest Bounce Back". Made me laugh anyway.

UTS

sean511
UTS Regular

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:28 pm

I reckon it was really good that we got a draw away when we had demonitanoci sent off

Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:The Public announcer. What a w*****. Never even informed us of who scored our goal [a few of us were not sure at the time]. A complete lack of respect. Memo to Forest; away fans are customers too.

UTS

SPOT ON. We were unsure who got our goal until my mate phoned who was in London at work and listening to the live commentry on the internet.

We were treated like scum by the forest security staff
The PA bloke completely ignored us when we scored and failed to acknowledge the goal
The forest electronic score board never displayed the score when we were winning. Kept on scrolling adverts accross. Soon as they got the equilizer, Hey presto, The score board does what it is intended for, ie. showing the score.

I FUKKING HATE GOING TO FOREST!!!!!

Got arrested and kicked out of there several seasons ago. Five minutes from the end. Night match too. I stood up to question a copper, why he was trying to drag a bloke out that was sitting next to me. Next thing I know, I was locked in the cell downstairs with several other saddlers. Transported to westbridgeford nick. Charged, and released at 2:30am in the morning. Thankfully my mates had waited for me I we got home as it was getting light.

B@ST@RDS!!!!

sean511
UTS Regular

Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:15 pm

yo mr poo man calm down!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:11 am

Dirty protest during your incarceration, poo poo? :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:07 am

King Crimson wrote:Dirty protest during your incarceration, poo poo? :?

Yeah, must be awful when you're treated like sh!te.

Gotta be careful - an away point, and this thread is in danger of hitting the zippy radar for anit-merson posting. How's he going to explain it if we get to over 100?

(cue lots of pointless one-line posts to make up the 100 - don't let me down, chaps & chapesses! :wink: )

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season