Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham (A) - 6th December 2005 - League

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:14 pm

I believe im the first person to post who actually went to the game. what are these people on radio wm on ? are they mad?

Absolutely appaling performance again, rubbish football, rubbish tactics, rubbish manager. Nothing ever changes, no fight or passion, nothing. The only highlight of the evening was listening to gary ellison.

Load of crap.

MERSON MUST GO

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:17 pm

Can we stop this thread now please ?

We are about to trigger "Zippy's post count alarm".

We're already 15 in front of the Yeovil thread and 4 in front of the Rotherham thread.

You know what's next ? "There's always more posts when we lose" blah blah blah, clap clap clap.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Exactly Dave well said. If it's 4-5-1 you want then fine, as we have only won (by my addled reckoning) two league away games under Merson playing anything other than 4-5-1 - Rock-botton Stockport last season and 10 man Scunthorpe this, although even there it looked like 4-5-1 at times. The problem is Merson panics at the slightest hint of anything going against us. We took 4 very decent away points at the start of this season without JJ, playing 4-5-1. Why therefore did we change it? We beat Bristol City away last season playing 4-5-1 and then changed it, that was pre-JJ.

Ask PM is the answer, because I don't know it. And it's obvious he doesn't.
I read people on here saying well this was worth a try and that shows he was thinking about this that and the other. There is frankly nothing in this league we should be worried about that we have to change our formation 3 and 4 times in a game. Where is the confidence instilled in the players to say "so long as you remember basic organisation you are better than these - express yourselves". It just doesn't happen because away from home we have no basic organisation, we routinely conceed 2 goals to mediocre teams.

At home the tinkering takes the flow and tempo out of our game, but we by and large get away with it.

A decent organisor and motivator would have this team top 6 without a shadow of doubt. The talent is there for all to see, but unfortunately not the basics.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:31 pm

Its just so disheartening geordie, we travel all the way to oldham to watch yet another totally abject and rubbish away performance, nothing ever changes, and for this reason he has to go.

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:33 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Can we stop this thread now please ?

We're already 15 in front of the Yeovil thread and 4 in front of the Rotherham thread.

You know what's next ? "There's always more posts when we lose" blah blah blah, clap clap clap.

As Meatloaf said "You took the words right out of my mouth".

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:45 pm

Well you're just too fudge predictable then aren't you Zippy ?

Never come on here and logically argue any points about why we shouldn't be as worried about Merson as we are. Never critically analyse and disect anybody's posts re. tactics or formations or team selections or motivation or fitness.

No, just post after fudge mind numbing post slating everyone and anyone that dares to say anything slightly resembling criticism of the "great Merson". Wittering on about how people post more when we've done cack compared to when we've somehow eeked out a half-decent, bog standard win.

Rather do that than stand your ground with well thought out arguments wouldn't you ? Prefer hairy-fairy "It'll all come out good in the wash, as long as you all support him" posts to real nitty-gritty debate.

Then spend half the week moaning like a trooper at a few minor mistakes by the fudge pitchside announcer (and no, I'm not defending him, I'm just pointing out the bare faced, unashamed hypocricy of it all).

Stop being so fudge one dimensional Zippy and try and post something other than your well worn, supposedly witty put-downs.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Zippy, If you paid a bit more attention to the league table, results on the pitch, and the same cycle repeating itself over and over rather than post counts and Stafflers pie-intake you might some-day make a worthwhile contribution to a match thread that follows a defeat.

Tonight was a great opportunity to really ignite the season going into what is for us a huge game on Saturday, what a monumental shame that we blew it...again, and kick-started the season of some run of the mill ordinary team. As we did at Yeovil, Barnsley, and Franchise. Those four games have yielded nil points, when to be honest we should have had 6 or 7 points - even 4 points would have made a big difference but we got NONE. Let's hope we get 3 on Saturday to make up this self-inflicted lost ground.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:49 pm

Zippyzip wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Can we stop this thread now please ?

As Meatloaf said "You took the words right out of my mouth".

No offence, but I doubt it was when they were kissing you. :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:50 pm

hang on. hang on, Paul Merson played for arsenal you know

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:51 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Zippy, If you paid a bit more attention to the league table, results on the pitch, and the same cycle repeating itself over and over rather than post counts and Stafflers pie-intake you might some-day make a worthwhile contribution to a match thread that follows a defeat.

Come on Geordie, that would involve taking off those rose coloured spectacles and seeing the reality of the World. He don't want to admit it's a darker more depressing place than he has previously admitted.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:54 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:hang on. hang on, Paul Merson played for arsenal you know

Sorry Metfan, you're quite right. He's also a thoroughly nice bloke (so they say).

Mustn't say anything bad about him. We might upset the living legend that has graced us with his presence.

All bow down to Merse !

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:hang on. hang on, Paul Merson played for arsenal you know

Sorry Metfan, you're quite right. He's also a thoroughly nice bloke (so they say).

Mustn't say anything bad about him. We might upset the living legend that has graced us with his presence.

All bow down to Merse !

Oh, and he once admitted that he had problems you know, you cant knock him, its just wrong!

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

All bow down to Merse !

Oh, and he once admitted that he had problems you know, you cant knock him, its just wrong!

I know. Too much criticism might upset him so much he may just walk away from our club.

With that in mind I've got one question:-

WHEN DO WE START THE CRITICISM ???????

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Zippy, If you paid a bit more attention to the league table, results on the pitch, and the same cycle repeating itself over and over rather than post counts and Stafflers pie-intake you might some-day make a worthwhile contribution to a match thread that follows a defeat.

Come on Geordie, that would involve taking off those rose coloured spectacles and seeing the reality of the World. He don't want to admit it's a darker more depressing place than he has previously admitted.

Pardon me for breathing.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:00 am

Zippyzip wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

Pardon me for breathing.

You obviously have no 'excuse' for what happened tonight do you ?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:03 am

Zippyzip wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

Pardon me for breathing.

Thankyou. In four short words you have just proved my point entirely.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:12 am

Also, the coaching staff and everyone else know what the problems are so they don't need the fans to point them out by way of moaning. These fan people just need to be patient and get behind the lads.

My patience extends another month, easy as that, 100% support for the manager and the team. Progress in cups and at least top 10 and I'll be happy to see Merson get the plaudits and keep his job until the end of the season. If we are out of the cups and where we are now in the league, possibly having pawned our top scorer, and playing infront of barely 4,000 then not. At least we do have the cups to look forward to so there's something - unlike last season.

Zippy
Glitterati

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Zippyzip wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:

Pardon me for breathing.

You obviously have no 'excuse' for what happened tonight do you ?

You're right, I have no 'excuse'.

I won't make any attempt at an excuse either.

There are already enough 'managers' on here who will say what and where the team went wrong tonight, so I don't need to make an 'excuse'.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:27 am

Come on Zippy don't get down-hearted. It's only one game and we've every chance of picking up a few wins from the forthcoming fixtures.
Whereupon hope will pop her little cheshire cat smile into the foggy Bescot dusk, and we can all dream of winning the LDV, and maybe even beating Port Vale.

Tomorrow's another day, Chasetown in the Staffs Senior Cup to be precise.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:44 am

Two weeks back I said that I'd start to feel like we might have turned a corner if we pick up 4 points from the 3 away games in December.

Well, unsurprisingly, totally predictably, the easiest of those 3 games has now passed with sod-all to show for it - once again we've performed OK and come away with absolutely bl**dy nowt!

My confidence in getting those 4 points was already low, it is now a distant dream. After tonight, if we get a single point away in December, I shall be amazed.

Weeks ago, I recall someone saying "we just need a run of three or four wins" - I guess it must surely have been Zippy - and it must surely have been pie in the sky, but then I think we said that at the time.

Tonight I am gutted by another total let-down, probably "disgusted" would be a better word to describe my feelings about this load of under-achievers that we like to call players.

I was going to go to Forest on Saturday, after tonight I'm thinking "why bother" - why should I bother to make the effort if these ***** can't be bothered to perform!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:07 am

What a bitter disapointment that bloody result was! :evil:

Let's hope we can maintain our long hoodoo over the boys from the Trent and keep the season on track :roll:

Greg WP

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:23 am

I really dont see how we can expect anything away from home under Merson. Hes never really fancied away days snd the players know it. Didn't he give about half of our away games in his first season with us a miss? Our best away performances that season happened when he bottled the trip. A team resembles its manager. We need to accept mediocrity under Merse Im afraid.

Ulster Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:28 am

I have been to one game this season which was Barnsley away. We were awful in the first half with one shot on goal in injury time. The only time we loosened up and played was when we went down to 10 men and the formation changed (under duress).

I left that game thinking that we could have at least got a draw if Merson had got his tactics right. I put that result down to his lack of ability to change things when they clearly are not working.

After reading about other away games on this board and looking at our away form, the only person to blame is the manager and it is as simple as that. Losing by the single goal at Vale, Barnsley, Oldham, MK Dons - I just think that away from home he doesn't know what to do and I wonder does this then confuse the players.

The danger is that if most of you on here are right, we are likley to start dropping points at home as opposed to picking them up away.

UP THE SADDLERS

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:39 am

Ulster Saddler wrote:The danger is that if most of you on here are right, we are likley to start dropping points at home as opposed to picking them up away.

You don't have to worry about that, this division really is that poor this season that home points are a banker.

We've beaten Donny, Gills, Bournemouth, Rotherham and Yeovil without getting out of 2nd gear. Any decent side and we'd have got nowhere near 5 wins out of those matches, fortunately, there are very few decent sides in this division.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:47 am

Stu wrote:You don't have to worry about that, this division really is that poor this season that home points are a banker.

We've beaten Donny, Gills, Bournemouth, Rotherham and Yeovil without getting out of 2nd gear. Any decent side and we'd have got nowhere near 5 wins out of those matches, fortunately, there are very few decent sides in this division.

I doubt this division will ever be as easy to get out of.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:56 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Two weeks back I said that I'd start to feel like we might have turned a corner if we pick up 4 points from the 3 away games in December.

Well, unsurprisingly, totally predictably, the easiest of those 3 games has now passed with sod-all to show for it - once again we've performed OK and come away with absolutely bl**dy nowt!

My confidence in getting those 4 points was already low, it is now a distant dream. After tonight, if we get a single point away in December, I shall be amazed.

Weeks ago, I recall someone saying "we just need a run of three or four wins" - I guess it must surely have been Zippy - and it must surely have been pie in the sky, but then I think we said that at the time.

Tonight I am gutted by another total let-down, probably "disgusted" would be a better word to describe my feelings about this load of under-achievers that we like to call players.

I was going to go to Forest on Saturday, after tonight I'm thinking "why bother" - why should I bother to make the effort if these ***** can't be bothered to perform!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The point is geoff, you are not on your own! There were only 177 Saddlers there last night according to the OS. Combine this with the falling 'home' crowds at Bescot over the last few games and you can see a pattern of many fans voting with their feet.

I'm up for the Forest game on Saturday, but I do not expect there to be many of us - 6/700 tops.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:07 am

I'm looking forward to Saturday, it's usually a reasonable game, but I'm not expectant or even to be totally honest that bothered about the result.
I know now what I'm going to get, shall I dig out the away match blue-print from September 2004? My one abiding fear is that Merson will get a game tonight and on the strength of that be in the 15 for Saturday.

I can cope with us being predicatably rubbish, although I don't like it- but I draw the line at paying money to travel to watch him play, and my team start with one less footballer in the 15.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:30 am

Totally agree with MMF Merson must pick a formation and stick to it for 6 or 7 games give
the players chance to adjust and settle. 4-4-2 is perfect with ishmal and d taylor or wright to
return wide osborn the holding role skora the playmaker its a balanced midfield.
we have nothing to lose now we are not going to make the playoffs if our current away form
continues in the same vain quite frankly failing to pick up points at places like MK Dons and
Oldham we dont deserve to reach the play offs

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:56 am

Dave, I question whether Ossie should be playing at the moment.

On SaddlersWorld last night, Kearns admitted that Ossie had been rushed back into the team when he wasn't yet fully fit because of the injury to Kinsella. He blamed that for why Ossie looked a shadow of himself in the last two matches.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 am

fair point Stu , but all the tinkering swaping and changing is doing my head in we need to
find a settled formation. more importantly its not working we are failing to pick up points
against sides below us something has to give

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season