Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (A) - League 19th November 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:06 pm

same old 1 step forward 2 steps back
very suprised to see the team line up 5 central defenders
be interesting to hear want the fans who traveled today have to say
for me its a very dissapointing result

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:14 pm

Can't say I'm surprised by the result. In fact I'm not surprised at all as I predicted a 2-1 win for MK with a late goal which is exactly what happened.

I've spoken to Joly who was at the game and said we played well and we didn't deserve to lose but my reply was it sounded very much the same as many games last season. If you don't tkae your chances and you make mistakes at the other end then you get exactly what you deserve, nothing. Jorge (works ever so hard so the fans love him but ultimately doesn't do his job and misses too many chances Leitao) missed a sitter which probably would have won us the game then Murphy fumbles for their second.

As I've said several times over, it's no good beating a non league team and a poor Gillingham team if you lose to teams like MK who you have to beat if you want to make the play offs. Inconsistency has been and will always be a problem under Merson which is why he will never make it as manger, even if today he wasn't at fault for the mistakes either end, if they happen every week, which they too often do under Merson then he can be blamed.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Match report on line. Didn't have the Fat Controller ringing in during the game today, hence the lack of earlier updates. As I said at the end though, we were unlucky, but to go there (won 2 at home all season, remember, and fifth from bottom) and play 5 4 1, we probably got what we deserved.

Where the Hell was K Taylor, by the way, as the OS said he'd likely play yesterday?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:
I take it we all remember the nail on penalty that Ropes conceded but wasn't given by the ref, to howls of derision from the home fans and roars of laughter from us?

:)

According to Cully, it was Ropes who conceded the free kick from which MK scored the winner.

Do you believe in karma, Ropes? :(

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:24 pm

yet again we question mersons team selection
we play 5-4-1 against a team struggling at the bottom of the league
Gerrard plays in midfield. were is kris taylor .why is a much improving smith on loan
it just don't add up

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:51 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Can't say I'm surprised by the result. In fact I'm not surprised at all as I predicted a 2-1 win for MK with a late goal which is exactly what happened.

I've spoken to Joly who was at the game and said we played well and we didn't deserve to lose but my reply was it sounded very much the same as many games last season. If you don't tkae your chances and you make mistakes at the other end then you get exactly what you deserve, nothing. Jorge (works ever so hard so the fans love him but ultimately doesn't do his job and misses too many chances Leitao) missed a sitter which probably would have won us the game then Murphy fumbles for their second.

As I've said several times over, it's no good beating a non league team and a poor Gillingham team if you lose to teams like MK who you have to beat if you want to make the play offs. Inconsistency has been and will always be a problem under Merson which is why he will never make it as manger, even if today he wasn't at fault for the mistakes either end, if they happen every week, which they too often do under Merson then he can be blamed.

sorry can't sit back a let anybody have a go at Jorge the mans work rate is outstanding
week in week out he runs himself into the ground 100% always
if you want to have a go at someone try the bigheaded , overrated,bone idle.selfish
twerp who wears the number 12 shirt..........rant over

Phil_G

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:58 pm

I think that's his point Dave.

Jorge runs a round a lot, Fryatt doesn't. Matty's scored 8 goals, Leitao's got 4.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:59 pm

Phil_G wrote:I think that's his point Dave.

Jorge runs a round a lot, Fryatt doesn't. Matty's scored 8 goals, Leitao's got 4.

how many pens

Phil_G

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:02 pm

I make it 4.

Good point, I'll get me coat.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:06 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:

how many pens

I'm not Fryatt's biggest fan either Dave but that doesn't make Jorge any better. At least Fryatt has won most of the penalties he's scored. He does that by getting in scoring positions. I'd rather have two strikers on 8 goals whether they're from penalties or not.

A strikers job is to score or sets up lots of goals which I'm afraid Jorge doesn't do enough of and presumable why Merson is turning him into a midfielder. While we lack a lot or Jorge's workrate throughout the team it doesn't mean he's doing his job. I'd rather have a lazy b@stard that scores 20+ goals a season.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:07 pm

Neil, K Taylor was in the sixteen, he was one of the subs. K Taylor, D Taylor, M Bradley, D Larossa, R Gilmartin....

So, he chose to play a centre half in midfield instead of Krissy Taylor.

Great confidence booster for Taylor, he'll be out of the door during January I expect.

WednesburyRoad

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:05 pm

I just knew we were going to lose as soon as the teams were read out, all confidence I had had before the game just vanished when I heard the starting 11 that consisted of …

Goalkeeper, Centre Back, Centre Back, Centre Back, yet another Centre Back, and ANOTHER Centre Back, Left Back, Centre Midfielder, Left Winger, Striker, Striker. :| Great selection Merson, all hail the Magic Man.. :roll:

Please tell me how on earth you can expect to create anything at all with a team like that!? There was no midfield at all, so every time we had the ball in defence the only option was to lump it forward for Fryatt to run onto – and yet again Fryatt had a poor match. It was so obvious what was wrong with the team yet Merson couldn’t see this? We had 2 central midfielders on the bench, yet it took Merson till around 75 minutes to make a change whereby he took off our most effective player in Jorge and replaced him with Daryl Taylor. I just despair, I really do. Merson you have no idea at all, you just proved today how clueless you are.

Didier Tholot

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:21 pm

Strange team selection - I guess it was designed to combat McLeod and Platt but I think it was probably giving them a bit too much respect.

That said, we were unlucky to come away with nothing. How Roper's effort in the second half didn't go in I don't know, and Jorge didn't seem to believe he was onside when he missed that one-on-one.

Not sure I would blame Murphy for the winner - when a ball goes under a wall like that he was probably unsighted. Need to see it again really but how hard can a wall's job be? Just stand there - don't jump / duck, just frickin well stand there and block the ball!

Oh, and Stephen "Mighty" Quinn? Never has a nickname been less apt.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:29 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:

how many pens

I'm not Fryatt's biggest fan either Dave but that doesn't make Jorge any better. At least Fryatt has won most of the penalties he's scored. He does that by getting in scoring positions. I'd rather have two strikers on 8 goals whether they're from penalties or not.

A strikers job is to score or sets up lots of goals which I'm afraid Jorge doesn't do enough of and presumable why Merson is turning him into a midfielder. While we lack a lot or Jorge's workrate throughout the team it doesn't mean he's doing his job. I'd rather have a lazy b@stard that scores 20+ goals a season.

if Fryatt scores over 20 goals this season I'll do an AC cactus party piece

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:41 pm

Just back from the game. As people have said - 5 centre backs played and there was no mid field. Having said that, we should have won. Two open goals were missed in the second half which would have given the game to us. Just very discouraging.

saddlers supa mop

Location: Living upto mods expectations and keeping this site friendly for all age users :D

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:44 pm

the team selection shocked me. When was the last time we played 5 at the back? :?

on the fryatt issue there were chants of 2if fryatt can play for england so can I",well heard one or two sa it at mk dons but to be fair on his recent performance, that could be true! he really needs to pick up his game before it is too late!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Haven't we got any promising centre backs in the reserves or youth team that could have played as well today ?

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:26 pm

Rubbish, complete rubbish!

If you wanna get out of this league you should be beating teams like MK Dons. You look at the fixtures at the start of the season and pick where you should be picking up points. MK Dons should be a team you are looking to take 4-6 points off. Instead we've took one point, an undeserved one at that.

Merson, why tinker with a team so much after a victory? I understand Kinsella magically got injured in training in the week. But why mess with the formation so much. So many players out of position today. I thought we looked clueless at the back at times. Over run in midfield too. Drops in concentration and confusion between the back 5/6.

Inconsistant team selction, inconsistant results. It don't take a bloody rocket scientist to work this one out.

To be fair though, we didn't have the run of the green. Officials were poor for both teams. From where I was sitting today, I clearly saw Ropers shot fully cross the line and Jorge, oh Jorge, how could you? The points were there for the taking and we didn't want them as much MK. Not good enough. I'm afraid a boring, drawn out season is ahead of us.

Joe90
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:02 pm

What the heck kicked off in the back rows to the left of the goal in the first half?!
I was about five rows in front of it and couldn't make head nor tail.
Anyone care to shed any light?

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:32 pm

What was Gerrard like in his new midfield role

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:21 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:What was Gerrard like in his new midfield role

Makelele....

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:28 pm

A frustrating and predictable result and performance. Demontagnac was clearly stuggling for the last 15 minutes and stays on the pitch. We had one cross the line only for the ref to wave play on. No attacking flair.

Fryatt his usual "either miscontrol or wont pass" self.

Shocking team selection. A midfielder on the bench so lets play one of our centre halfs in midfield :shock: (looks like it's all defenders in the Merson drinking club :roll: )

We had that many defenders on the pitch what was left of midfield (basically Skora) was stretched and overran.

We got beat today by a bunch of Gingers and freaks who play on a Hocky pitch and some people on the "All about Walsall" Forum still think we are going to make the play offs!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:28 pm

I don't know how anyone could say we played quite well. We were awful. Terrible team selection, terrible tactics, terrible performance, terrible result, terrible manager; MERSON OUT.

We just totally lost the midfield (which consisted of a winger, a striker, a centre back and only one actual midfielder). Gerrard was utterly useless in that position (as anyone who has ever seen him play would expect - except, of course, our manager), Demontagnac was tired and did virtually nothing, Leitao was up against a far superior full back than last week and Skora was therefore having to play them by himself. Which didn't work. He won the ball a lot but unlike last week, kept trying glory balls instead of keeping it simple.

Fryatt was anonymous in the thankless lone striker role, Leitao missed his customary "harder to miss than score" chance, Daryl Taylor looked like he was playing three or four divisions too high up when he came off the bench, the defence was clearly uncomfortable in that formation (on two occasion, two of our centre backs went for the same header and clashed heads) and I thought Murphy could have done better with their winner.

MK were quite a good team, but even so, by no stretch of the imagination was that a good performance from us. We can't have passed the ball to one of our own players more than two or three times.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:30 pm

cheesebag wrote:

Makelele....

what :roll:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

DAVEDEAN wrote:
cheesebag wrote:

Makelele....

what :roll:

Irony Dave.....Irony

sj
Site Addict

Yes I can joe 90. 50 pis*ed up fans came down on the coach. And something happened in a pub with two Wolves fans.

I was with my two boys and I am tonight ashamed to be a Saddler.

Sad toss*rs :evil: :evil:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:37 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:I don't know how anyone could say we played quite well. We were awful. Terrible team selection, terrible tactics, terrible performance, terrible result, terrible manager; MERSON OUT.

We just totally lost the midfield (which consisted of a winger, a striker, a centre back and only one actual midfielder). Gerrard was utterly useless in that position (as anyone who has ever seen him play would expect - except, of course, our manager), Demontagnac was tired and did virtually nothing, Leitao was up against a far superior full back than last week and Skora was therefore having to play them by himself. Which didn't work. He won the ball a lot but unlike last week, kept trying glory balls instead of keeping it simple.

Fryatt was anonymous in the thankless lone striker role, Leitao missed his customary "harder to miss than score" chance, Daryl Taylor looked like he was playing three or four divisions too high up when he came off the bench, the defence was clearly uncomfortable in that formation (on two occasion, two of our centre backs went for the same header and clashed heads) and I thought Murphy could have done better with their winner.

MK were quite a good team, but even so, by no stretch of the imagination was that a good performance from us. We can't have passed the ball to one of our own players more than two or three times.

thanks for that bristol i go to my bed now really depressed :wink:
oh well onwards and upwards (or something like that) UTS

Joe90
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:51 pm

Thanks SJ. I figured it had something to do with the Wolves but just couldn't understand it.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:31 am

Its a bit harsh to criticise Fryatt, when the lad is stuck up front on his own and expected to lead the front line. A blind man could tell you he couldn't do that.

And before anyone says "he did it with england in the summer", they played a 4-3-3 so the lad had loads of support around him.

He is struggling, but to be honest we still haven't found a partner for him or the right formation. Give the lad a break, there is a reason he is so highly rated, don't make him the next player that is driven out the club.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:35 am

can someone explain to me why a few WOLVES dingles turned up in the pub, and in the ground at the back?

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season