Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (A) - League 19th November 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:30 pm

Very frustrating!

Just when it seemed that Merson was doing his best to field an unchanged team, changes were enforced upon him.

Kinsella (just when he seemed to be hitting a bit of form) had picked up an injury and with Osborn already ruled out there was not going to be much experience out there!

It looks therefore like he opted for Staunton to add some experience and leadership into what otherwise would've been a very young starting XI.
Unfortunately this meant that he had to disrupt his first choice partnership of Roper and Bennett, but that was the risk worth taking.

He most likely thought that Gerrard would've added a bit of steel/grit that I doubt Kris Taylor would've provided.

Don't get me wrong, there is an awful lot of things that I am not at all happy with that has happened and continues to happen throughout Merson's tenure.
Unforced changes, team discipline, squad fitness, etc etc.

But in this case, he had to make the changes in my opinion.

Again, more unforced errors, missed chances, and clumseyness (which Roper and Bennett are both prone to - even before Merson) are all to blame.

TIN HAT - CHECK

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 pm

i would have posted sooner but aint got the internet at home. I think fryatt should be taken out of the side as he clearly was suffering from a confidance drain. in terms of the wolves fans there was only about 3 or 4 in the corner of the stand really it amounted to nothing but handbags at dawn, but mk is such a sterile dump please someone relegate them

sj
Site Addict

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Ian-- I saw those idiots at the front. Did you see the moron with the blonde hair about 35 years old. He had has so much to drink his face was scarlet.

Ian you should have said you were going to the game I would have made myself known to you. The same goes for Joe90. Both of you write some interesting stuff on hear and its nice to put a face to a font. :)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:MMF - not all footballers are thick, far from it. Didn't Jorge postpone his University studies to join the Saddlers? Look at Peter Hart, Don Goodman, Graydon, Nichol and a raft of other intellectuals.

They may find ordinary jobs after their career is over but they'll do it with a minimum of 300,000 in the bank, a good selection of mates and memories and be in good physical shape. Anyone would be a pro-footballer, it's a dream job. 8)

SS - You misunderstand me, I'm not saying they're all thick but not all of them are bright enough to take in all the information a manager gives them. If they were then they'd be playing at a higher level.

With the players you mention you're talking about people who have played and managed at mainly the higher levels.

If you look back up I was referring to players playing in the lower divisions where the vast majority of players don't earn much more than the average person.

And I certainly don't disagree with you that most people would love to be a pro-footballer which is why many of us get so frustrated when players don't appreciate the job they have and waste their talent.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:00 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:MMF - not all footballers are thick, far from it. Didn't Jorge postpone his University studies to join the Saddlers? Look at Peter Hart, Don Goodman, Graydon, Nichol and a raft of other intellectuals.

They may find ordinary jobs after their career is over but they'll do it with a minimum of 300,000 in the bank, a good selection of mates and memories and be in good physical shape. Anyone would be a pro-footballer, it's a dream job. 8)

SS - You misunderstand me, I'm not saying they're all thick but not all of them are bright enough to take in all the information a manager gives them. If they were then they'd be playing at a higher level.

With the players you mention you're talking about people who have played and managed at mainly the higher levels.

If you look back up I was referring to players playing in the lower divisions where the vast majority of players don't earn much more than the average person.

And I certainly don't disagree with you that most people would love to be a pro-footballer which is why many of us get so frustrated when players don't appreciate the job they have and waste their talent.

Yes MMF I know where you're coming from, but don't you think the level of skill or pace is more influencial than intelligence?

I totally agree with your last point - if only eh? 8) :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:00 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Yes MMF I know where you're coming from, but don't you think the level of skill or pace is more influencial than intelligence?

Not always. :wink: Hence why the players who have intelligence but have never been quick go on to play a lot longer than many. Hence Teddy Sherringham.

It was said by someone on TV the other day, Ray Wilkins I think who went on to play till he was 41 that the first yard or two is in your brain.

The same would go for players like Gazza and Merson if they hadn't abused their bodies and had even the slightest fitness about them then they could still play at a good level because their football mind is one step ahead of other players.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season