Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League - 12th November 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
walsallfcfan

Gillingham (H) League - 12th November 2005

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:58 pm

2-1 to walsall letiao and fryatt

walsall 1984

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:04 pm

3-0 walsall hopefully are our injured players on the way back

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:18 pm

2-1 to us. Fryatt & Jorge with the goals for us, Byfield (who else) with their goal.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:19 pm

1-1

0-1 HALF TIME
1-1 FULL TIME (LEITAO)
Last edited by YGA Saddler on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:37 pm

Byfield was injured a couple of weeks ago and when he was fit I don't think he was playing regularly.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:58 pm

3-1 to Walsall...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:59 pm

2-1 to us. Byfield is injured and doubtful.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 am

2-0 to us

Jorge x 2

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:44 am

0-0, crowd 4,800.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:27 am

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. I'll go for a 3-3 goalfest, excitement all round and the formation of the MISOC splinter group, led by Zippy.

Not really. 1-2 to them, I reckon.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:13 am

Draw. 1-1. Dull affair. Crowd 4877. Weather overcast.

Merson will be sporting a denim jacket and quilted body-warmer, he will be unshaven and recovering from a massive drink and drugs session that ended minutes before kick off. We will go 1-0 down due to a non-existent game plan but he will sober up in time for the half time team talk. Here, he will briefly reveal his natural talent for football management and steer the players to a comeback, resulting in an inevitable goal on 55 minutes. The Gills will respond and the game will be deadlocked until the end. Merson will then lapse into a post-drug depression and leave before the end, citing back trouble and resume a full-on drug-fest for the rest of the weekend. He will be found naked on the banks of Rushall canal on Monday by a group of frightened schoolchildren. Normal service will resume for the rest of the week.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:01 am

I'll go for postponed - waterlogged pitch.

Wyrleysadler

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:35 am

Walsall 3 Leitao, Bennett, Fryatt (pen)
Gillingham 1

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:17 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Draw. 1-1. Dull affair. Crowd 4877. Weather overcast.

Merson will be sporting a denim jacket and quilted body-warmer, he will be unshaven and recovering from a massive drink and drugs session that ended minutes before kick off. We will go 1-0 down due to a non-existent game plan but he will sober up in time for the half time team talk. Here, he will briefly reveal his natural talent for football management and steer the players to a comeback, resulting in an inevitable goal on 55 minutes. The Gills will respond and the game will be deadlocked until the end. Merson will then lapse into a post-drug depression and leave before the end, citing back trouble and resume a full-on drug-fest for the rest of the weekend. He will be found naked on the banks of Rushall canal on Monday by a group of frightened schoolchildren. Normal service will resume for the rest of the week.

Damn, you beat me to it - that's EXACTLY what I was going to say ! :lol: :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:48 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Draw. 1-1. Dull affair. Crowd 4877. Weather overcast.

Damn, you beat me to it - that's EXACTLY what I was going to say ! :lol: :lol:

Same thing, week in, week out - you'd think those schoolkids would have got used to it by now! :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:35 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:2-1 to us. Byfield is injured and doubtful.

He'll still score! :lol:

Ace

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:43 pm

Win? Walsall? I think not!

Walsall 0 - Gillingham 1

WFC4Eva

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 pm

1-0 to us in a very boring match.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:25 pm

WFC4Eva wrote:in a very boring match.

You don't need to write that any more, we already know what to expect. :wink:

WFC4Eva

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC4Eva wrote:in a very boring match.

You don't need to write that any more, we already know what to expect. :wink:

True, but it could turn out to be exactly the opposite or is that asking to much? :)

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:21 pm

The opposite of "another boring match", can anyone do hypnotism? I need to be regressed to understand this statement.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:32 pm

Geordie - close your eyes and lapse into a deep, dreamlike sleep. Think back to those games in the Buckley era when we played attractive attacking football and skillful players were able to express themselves. Remember now? Am I getting through to you?

When I count to five, you will return to reality........1, 2, 3, 4,........... :D

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:10 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry I was still thinking about Saturday.

Actually Leamore you've touched upon a pet hate of mine there. Our glorious leader's obsession with the Skyism that modern footballers need rests because the "modern game is so much faster, I mean the keepers can't even pick the ball up from a back-pass" oooooh dear they have to run around so much (say it enough times on Sky and it becomes true eventually).

When is anyone ever going to retort with yes but....

(say in 1983 for arguments sake as you mentioned the Buckley era)

1) There was only 1 sub, so everyone played 90 minutes unless you were badly injured or absolute crap.
2) Squads were smaller so the best man for the position played end of. For example despite it being his first full season in the game Craig Shakespeare started 58 games in 1983/4 and was subbed in only 9, and he was a box to box attacking midfielder. Four other players that year played 50 times.
3) Unless the pitch was completely unplayable the game was on, unlike now where unless the pitch is like a billiard table the game is off.
4) Tackling and physical contact was part of the game.
5) Although the keeper couldn't pick the ball up from a back-pass there were far less other stoppages, with less subs, less stretchers, less dissent and hand-bags. That's why in those days games kicked-off at 3 and finished at about 4.45 instead of 4-55 like now - basically a 10 minute rest in the game - half-time was also only usually 10 minutes.
5) All this newfangled medical and nutrition stuff didn't exist. As recently as 1990 Andy Dornan and Graeme Forbes ate in the cafe on Wednesbury Road after training where sausage sarnies were the order of the day. What has been the benefit? I've never seen so many fat footballers as this season

Probably worth another thread, but there you are modern football really is rubbish.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:38 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Probably worth another thread, but there you are modern football really is rubbish.

That really IS worth another thread, how about a poll? It would probably benefit from some sort of time period cut-off point though, possibly pre-war, post-war up to 1970's?, the modern era (post-sky?)

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:58 pm

ive gone for a 3-1 in our prediction league i will stick with that

Percie
Glitterati

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 pm

4-1 Walsall, Gillingham to take the lead. Jorge Hatrick.

I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Their fans having the nerve to call us scruffs last time we was there, on the faithful day, of the downward spiral of our club. Losing 3-0 to a shite Gillingham who hadn't won for nearly 20 games, gave me my worst footballing memory (Yes, worse than Slough) of my life.

REVENGE TIME. :twisted:

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:26 pm

also believe it's gonna be a win. 2-1 for the Super Saddlers!!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry I was still thinking about Saturday.

Actually Leamore you've touched upon a pet hate of mine there. Our glorious leader's obsession with the Skyism that modern footballers need rests because the "modern game is so much faster, I mean the keepers can't even pick the ball up from a back-pass" oooooh dear they have to run around so much (say it enough times on Sky and it becomes true eventually).

When is anyone ever going to retort with yes but....

(say in 1983 for arguments sake as you mentioned the Buckley era)

1) There was only 1 sub, so everyone played 90 minutes unless you were badly injured or absolute crap.
2) Squads were smaller so the best man for the position played end of. For example despite it being his first full season in the game Craig Shakespeare started 58 games in 1983/4 and was subbed in only 9, and he was a box to box attacking midfielder. Four other players that year played 50 times.
3) Unless the pitch was completely unplayable the game was on, unlike now where unless the pitch is like a billiard table the game is off.
4) Tackling and physical contact was part of the game.
5) Although the keeper couldn't pick the ball up from a back-pass there were far less other stoppages, with less subs, less stretchers, less dissent and hand-bags. That's why in those days games kicked-off at 3 and finished at about 4.45 instead of 4-55 like now - basically a 10 minute rest in the game - half-time was also only usually 10 minutes.
5) All this newfangled medical and nutrition stuff didn't exist. As recently as 1990 Andy Dornan and Graeme Forbes ate in the cafe on Wednesbury Road after training where sausage sarnies were the order of the day. What has been the benefit? I've never seen so many fat footballers as this season

Bloody utterly superb post Geordie.

Have to admit (well how could I deny?) seeing all those things you've described, but it's amazing how it slips to the back of the mind until someone reminds you - like you have reminded me now.

And of course I remember back to the days of NO subs. Back then it was a case of patching up the injured as best you could, then unless they were more-or-less crippled or dying, sending 'em back out to endure the pain and do their best.

The games that sum up those days for me are two very contrasting ones.

First the Walsall vs Charlton relegation decider at Fellows Park on 24th May 1963, when we were down to 9 fit men with Graham Newton and goalie Alan Boswell injured. We only needed a point, but unluckily lost 2-1 and dropped down with Luton to Division 3. The players worked their socks off that night, but to no avail. With subs, who knows what might have been achieved, but 9 vs 11 was a tough call, though nobody gave up until the final whistle.

Second the Stoke City vs Walsall FA Cup tie at the Victoria Ground on 22nd January 1966, when we played much of the game with only ten fit men against a team towards the top of Division 1. Stoke had only lost once at home that season, to the then-mighty Leeds Utd, but we went 2-0 up before half time and held out to keep a clean sheet. Jimmy McMorran had received a bad injury from an awful tackle, but he soldiered on, making as much of a nuisance of himself as he could.

I doubt if today's players would be able to live with the players of that era, too wrapped up in cotton wool and treated with kid-gloves.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:40 pm

Too bloody true!

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:46 pm

The result of this match ? I don't know, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1.

The bigger question is, whatever the result will you remember by the following Wednesday ? Or will your minds just have deleted it from the memory banks as yet another mind-numbing piece of non-entity servied up by a manager about as inspiring as wet weekend in Skegness.

Doh, I'm just so bored witht his club at the moment. :( Please Merson, just go now before I lose the will to live :x

Next
Return to 2005-06 Season