Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Merthyr Tydfil (A)- 4/11/2005 F.A. Cup

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Merthyr Tydfil (A)- 4/11/2005 F.A. Cup

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:51 pm

Here are just an handful of posts after the Slough game last year, maybe Merse could use this as the motivation ammo that we desperately need.
By Lego Man (81.154.13.232) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

SACK THAT USELESS PIECE OF ••••!!!
2-1 TO SLOUGH FOR CRYING OUTLOUD

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

We have just lost to wait for it Slough. I told you they'd lose. A fukin disgrace. Merson has to go TONIGHT. For fuks sake he has to.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Yes Lego Man. Without doubt Paul Merson is the worst thing that has ever happened to this club in history. Without doubt a shithead. I hope i never see this fat prick at Walsall ever again

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Well what happens now?

TOOTHLESS that about sums it up, again

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.209.233) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

PM is the biggest DISGRACE ever to set foot in the Walsall managers door.
I hope he has the guts to resign rather than wait to be sacked.
JB, I hope you are pleased with what you have achieved over the last 6 months.
Yes, JB, you have chucked away what great things RG and CL had done for this club.

By Andy Newton (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Merson must go now before we are relegated but Bonser cannot afford to sack him so don't expect any changes soon.

By wednesfield saddler (80.195.21.152) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

surely merson , in his coke filled , gambling dream world will have the dignity to recognise his totally inept performance as manager of our beloved club and resign ..now ..(and if he dosn,t , then its time to be brave mr bonser and get rid..NOW)

By gizawfc (81.155.53.109) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Merson helped send us down with his naivety and now this season is a big letdown. Slough Town for crists sake!!!
I have tried to keep saying that i'm behind him but todays result and performance has totally changed my mind!!!
Time for a change i think.

By steelmass (82.10.34.195) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

cant belive franks is still defending him its time this club needs to be taken over and cleared of the rubbish

By David Potter (70.240.72.26) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I've said all along that it was a terrible decision to hire Merson. You get what you pay for in this life, Walsall FC are certainly paying for it now!

At present were are a pathetic excuse for a football team. Our rapid decline over the last 12 months is alarming. Pushing for a play off place in the Championship to being beaten by part-timers is a disgrace.

Maybe this is the wake up call to Bonser and the board, to fire this incompetent, unqualified yes-man with immediate effect and put us all out of our misery!!!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.209.233) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

And to think, under CL we got to the fifth round of the cup, 2 years running. A club record.
And look at us now.
Oh dear, where are all the happy Merson clappers now?
The writing was on the books with our friendlies against Chester and Kidderminster.
A defensive shambles, no organization and no pride. Nothing has changed since.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Come on less of the expletetives, it just makes us look like sore losers. We will bounce back from this as soon as we get a proper manager. Its just a shame its come to this to get the reality of the Merson error into some people's brains.

I just feel sorry for Doffer, he must be in bits.

Hope the samaritans Walsall branch have got plenty of staff on tonight.

By popperpancake (81.76.9.10) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I'm not even surprised by this, and i don't suppose many else of you are either. Time is up for PM.

By Surrey Saddler (172.203.167.129) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Just back from the game. Don't know what to say really except congratulations to Slough. They packed their defence for the entire game and scored two on the break. We had all the possession but with no killer finishing touch. We didn't trouble their goal keeper either. What was most disturbing was in the last 15 minutes Slough had all the fight and spirit and we seemed to have none. After this we just HAVE to win next week at home or this season is in serious trouble.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.172) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Amidst all the "I told you so"comments on this board, I think it's fair to point out that the VAST majority of Walsall fans were "excited" by Paul Merson's appointment. That's borne out by the number who went and bought season tickets for a promotion season! I would suggest that 90%+ of the fans were behind him and looking forward to a good season.

I was certainly one of those people. Not ashamed to admit it. I was excited by the prospect of this season following the dire defensive football we played under Mr Lee.I fully anticipated the appointment of an experienced assistant - it never happened. I fully expected Merson to listen to his experienced friends in the game - instead he came out and said he was going to do things "his way". With the season fast going downhill, I expected the appointment of a hard task master such as Chris Nichol or Ray Graydon to get some organisation and fight into the team - we got Frank Burrows.

I still believe that this season had the potential to be good. Time after time, crucial decisions have been incorrectly made by Merson (and Mr Bonser?). It MUST be time for him to go now. We must appoint an experienced manager IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise Division 4 beckons. I believe these players are capable of at least being in the top half but they are just not performing. That must be the fault of the manager. The right man can turn things around.

By Stu (195.92.67.69) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

I've just got back home, and I'm utterly dismayed.

Merson must go, no question. He is useless, and he can take Frank Barlow with him

1) I presume Barlow was the one who decided to make the ridiculous substitution. What the fricking hell was Daryl Taylor brought on as a right back for? Why bring him on and not take advantage of his pace?

2) When we hadn't looked like scoring, why wait until the 91st minute to bring Williams on? Why not go hell for leather and risk conceding a 3rd.

3) Julian Bennett can f@ck off for all I'm concerned. The biggest idiot I've seen in a long time, except for Merson. He'd just been booked, so what does he do, he stands in front of the ball inviting them to take the free kick against his legs. With 10 mins to go, the selfish twerp just walked off the pitch, it took him a good 30 seconds to get off, possibly more. No respect for the fans what so ever.

4) Paul Merson... How the hell people abuse Simon Osborn whilst letting him get away with it, I'll never know. Useless overweight tosser who is wrecking this club at a rate of knots. If he has any self respect, any pride, he will walk.

5) How can any team be as one dimensional as we are. We were tactically outdone by a team 4 levels below us. Flood the midfield, knowing full well we've no width.

For me, this is the final straw. I can't see myself going next Saturday if he is still in charge, I'm fed up of spending £35 on a home match to watch him.

Frank Barlow has made zero impact. Luton was the day after he took over, so ignoring that, with Barlow in charge we've P5 D2 L3 F6 A 9.

My very last point, are some Walsall fans just stupid? The amount of abuse Simon Osborn got today for being a "dingle" was downright disgusting, he was far from our worst player yet got such a level of abuse I was embarrased to be a Walsall fan.

This is the lowest point I can remember for a long time. Everything that Graydon and Lee acheived in the last 5 or 6 years has been thrown away in 6 months by a gambling addict who is just thinking of his own future.

We've played 19 games this season, league and cup, we've won 6.

F@ck off Merson, f@ck off now. You haven't got a clue.

By Pissed off Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Taxi for Merson,Osborn, Wright and any other Walsall player who does not want to show some fight and pride for playing for us.

Merson I hope will be gone by Monday team time then we can look at getting in a Boss who will give the team at bollocking, throw cups at them etc. Stan Ternant would be the best bet he would give them all the above, but he would not be a yes man to Bonser.

Anyway I'm of to the pub to get pissed so I can avoid watching Match of The Day and watching them tossers play again.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I disagree with making generic statements about the different managers. I think we played as much attacking football under Lee (remember he was manager for 2 and a half seasons) as we did under Nichol, Graydon, and Merson. People only want to remember the last 3 months of Lee's reign which of course was boring and negative. By this time last season we had beaten Albion and Forest 4-1, had played Wigan off the park at Bescot. There had also been some thoroughly decent performances against the likes of Preston and Gillingham when we were'nt as flent but certainly were attacking.
That's about 4 more attacking displays than we've seen this season. This business about attacking football is one of the biggest red herrings ever, and one that is now being exposed ruthlessly by everyone that plays us.

We are rubbish in attack, as bad if not worse than we were in Lee's darkest days. Take Chesterfield, Doncaster, and Huddersfield away this season. We were passed to death by teams we "imagined" were going to kick us off the park as we tried to play our "attacking" football. We are lucky if we create one or two chances from open play in an average game, but so long as Merson comes on and says we were attacking people believe him. It's BS for God's sake! Anyone who has watched us more than 3 or 4 times this season must surely see that it is.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.253.15) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Can't be arsed to write anything just like half the players can't be arsed to make Walsall a successful team, and just like Merson can't be arsed to understand basic tactics to beat a team of part timers.

I warned you Doffer. It doesn't matter who you're playing, you can have most of the possession but if you can't defend and don't shoot (I'm not even going to say score because you need to shoot first) then you won't beat anyone from any level.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

The games against Peterborough, Stockport, Orient and Hartlepool are massive games. 3 or 4 wins and we could salvage something decent from this shambles. I said lasy week I didn't trust having Merson in charge for these games, that's the problem. Let's get a manager in who we as fans can trust to get us organised and motivated and if not at out best at least trying to be. Lets get this season going for Christ's sake.

By Shad (195.92.168.178) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I was another who was in full support of Merson as manager....... until 4.45 today. Now he must resign as he wont get fired.

1) How many of the players actually give a s**t about Walsall. Judging from recent performences I'll go for Osborn, Emblemn, Jorge, Zigor, Standing, Merse- and thats 6!!!!! thats it, of a pretty dismal squad.

2) How stupid can you get----- Julian Bennett. Why? Now he's missing for Saturday.

3) Strikers....... says it all when the first name id put down on the team sheet would be Gary Birch. Fryatt hasnt impresed all season same applys for Jorge.

4) Shoot........ do we ever shoot when we have a half chance.. not that i know.

5) Fans....... Not the majority but Fighting again throwing soup over a fence at slough fans. Chav Capital sums up very well.

6) Training.....What are they actually doing at training? Not defensive or shooting. Watching previous performences on a loop?

7) Coachs...... First Iffy now Frank Barlow.......

Anyway today:- Slough Town (who?) 2-1 Walsall sums it up quite well.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.253.15) on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Jorge? Is that the same Jorge that I was watching today and at Hull Shad?

By Chorley Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Yesterday was a complete and utter joke. Alot of chances needed to be made at that club. After 10 mintutes I had a bad feeling we would not get a win. The team lacks alot of passion , we have no leader on the park. The midfield is to light weight, the forwars would not score in a Wayne Rooney Brothel, and as for our formation the said about that the better.

Mark Wright,Simon Osbourn and Paul Merson(if he still has a job) need to be dropped. We need to go back to 4-4-2 play with wingers like we always have. Give Broad a chance in the centre of midfield with Standing, put Wrack and Taylor on the wings. Get 2 new striker in Fryatt has no confidence , Jorge as much I like him as a player does not core enough goals. That what he is paid to do and he is not doing. To be fair he has been given more than one chance. As for Birch half the time he does not look interested, he could if he wanted be a vital player for us, but never seems to want it.

We need to get load signing in . Look what happened when we brough O'Neil and Baird into the side last season . The had the prem class which we needed , not 2 loan signings from Cambridge.

We need to sort it out now before Christmas get a manager in who knows this level and someone the player will respect not be one of the lads like Merson

By Bristol Fan (83.147.128.119) on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Oh dear oh dear. I've been one of Merson's strongest supporters but I think the time has passed. How can anyone defend what happened at Slough. I talked myself into believing he would learn from his mistakes and so on but then the real doubts appeared at Sheff Wed at home when I saw what team we were putting out. And it's been virtually all downhill from there, some nice performances but only two wins.

I don't think we'll be going down whether he stays or not, but the very fact we're even thinking in that direction shows what a massive let down things are.

This is the lowest point since the Barnwell season in this division and I just can't believe it's happened while we've got players far better than what we've generally seen in the past.

Unbelievable. I just don't know what to say. It doesn't get any worse than this.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:52 pm

Result?

We cant lose again surely?
I'll go for

Merthyr 1
Walsall 1

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:59 pm

The stupid thing is that was nearly 12 months ago, league form hasn't improved and we're still saying all the same things...but he's still here!!!

1-1 for me also, with them scoring a late equaliser as the non-leaguers plumbers, postmen and truck drivers better fitness starts to show in the second half. :lol:

Ace

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:07 pm

Merthyr 1 - 1 Walsall HT
Merthyr 3 - 2 Walsall FT

Walsall will go 2-1 up in the second half and will slow down. This spurs Merthyr into action and they battle for 2 goals including one with just 5 minutes to go. There's the script written, now just wait for it to happen 8)

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:49 pm

2-0 Merthyr.

Can't see us beating them. What sort of team are we actually gonna play? Hes gonna have to play loads a kids ain't he? I'm fearing the worst. :(

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:01 pm

As a saddler's fan I have a very bad feeling about this one! I think they will be up for a fight and stand a really good chance of beating us! Which will be totally gutting. However if it does happen and it means it edges Mr Bonser closer to getting rid of Merson I may, and I mean, may, just about stand the loss. 2-1 to them I think :(

ucow

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:40 pm

a big slippy banana skin coming our way on friday in front of thousands on the tv 3-1 defeat me thinks! and merse will surley be gone if it does happen!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:47 pm

If we lose, then I want a Megson style "here you go lads, I've brought the fans in to talk to you" display. Except it'll be aimed at the manager as much as the players.

However, regardless of how cack we are and how useless the incompete buffoon of a manager is, I think we'll do em.

Poor performance but scraping by with a 2-1 win.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:47 pm

Well aren't we a positive bunch.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:48 pm

You have to have something to be positive about, Zippy, as blind faith won't work forever.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:52 pm

I reckon we'll get a 4-2 victory.

Team will probably be (unless we get a couple of loan signings in the interim).......

Gilmartin

Gerrard, Roper, Bennett, fox
Sztybul, Osborn, Broad, Demontognac
leitao, Fryatt

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:54 pm

It's Stzybel and Demontagnac! Still think we should win reasonably easily, but with this lot, you never know, especially with what looks like dissention in the camp and cliques forming.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:especially with what looks like dissention in the camp and cliques forming.

Hi Neil, are you privvy to any info that backs these comments up.
Or are they just based on hearsay etc?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:35 pm

It's just a pub team. Nothing to worry about - no real training, bunch of part-timers, really one-dimensional and with no squad depth.

With those words echoing in their ears, expect Merthyr to go down fighting. I can't see us losing, I can see it being closer than it ought to be. Remember though, there's no easy games at this level, and the magic of the cup makes all things more equal, etc. etc.

walsall'sno1fan

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:36 pm

Well win by a few, 5-1

Benno will score

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:02 pm

4-0 win. Leitao (2), Ishmel & Osborn with the goals.

MrC

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:06 pm

A 2-0 victory - solid, professional, and nothing more than we can ask for...

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:13 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It's Stzybel and Demontagnac! Still think we should win reasonably easily, but with this lot, you never know, especially with what looks like dissention in the camp and cliques forming.

It said Sztybel on the back of his shirt.

I'm getting increasingly worried about this Friday. We really ought to win comfortably even with the injuries, but still.

I imagine it will be

Gilmartin
Gerrard Roper Bennett Fox
Sztybel Osborn Taylor Demontagnac
Fryatt Leitao

If Standing's fit then he'd probably play instead of Sztybel.

Any word on what Standing's injury is, by the way?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:25 pm

KJC wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:especially with what looks like dissention in the camp and cliques forming.

I believe the question revolves around how many players were at Roper's testimonial dinner.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:30 pm

Merthyr Tydfil - 1 (Postman)
Walsall - 5 (Fryatt (5)

dler

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Merthyr 8-0 Walsall

Please read this and motivate yourselves WFC, cos Merson won't do it for you.

Get rid.

Shad

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:43 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
KJC wrote:

I believe the question revolves around how many players were at Roper's testimonial dinner.

I'm in suspense- how many were there?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:14 am

Shad wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
KJC wrote:

I'm in suspense- how many were there?

2 maybe 3

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:12 am

CocaCola_Saddlers wrote:Merthyr Tydfil - 1 (Postman)
Walsall - 5 (Fryatt (5)

Sorry, CocaCola, but if you think about it, the score in your scenario can only ever be 2-5, as the Postman Always Knocks Twice.

I've got me coat.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:44 am

At first I thought 4-2 away win, then this became 2-2 and a narrow win at Bescot.

I guess now I'll go with a narrow, exciting away win - 3-2 and on to the next round!
8)

Come on you Saddlers!

Will
UTS Regular

Merthyr Tydfil

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:59 am

They'll be a lot more motivated and up for it than us so I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

Our players will no doubt take it as a walk in the park, won't be able to break down a dogged defence and will lose a goal on the break.

Jorge will come on as a sub and get a late equaliser.

Merson will claim the credit for this.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:39 am

Shad wrote:I'm in suspense- how many were there?

MMF said it was 1, Michael Standing. Only other reps were staff, e.g Whalley and co.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:46 am

Stu wrote:

MMF said it was 1, Michael Standing. Only other reps were staff, e.g Whalley and co.

I find it quite unacceptable that the Manager, coaches and senior players most certainly weren't.

KJC
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:21 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:

I find it quite unacceptable that the Manager, coaches and senior players most certainly weren't.

Agreed!

Thats shameful and embarrassing!

They should all hang their heads in shame!

Shame on you, Paul Merson! :x

Wyrleysadler

Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:36 am

Meryther 1
Walsall 4 (Leitao 3)

Next
Return to 2005-06 Season