Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Merthyr Tydfil (A)- 4/11/2005 F.A. Cup

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 am

Stu wrote:Talk about bloody negative.

I thought we did okay last night, we did what we had to do. At the end of the day, all we had to do was win and we did that very easily.

Does look to be a bit of complaining for the sake of complaining on this match thread.

I'm back in action, new PC!

I get told by many on here as being too negative but I agree with Stu here. Whilst we didn't run away with it on Friday night, we were comfortable and did a professional job. If we'd been that professional for most of this season we would already be in the top 6.

Fryatt looked lively, probably because the cameras were on him and he and Jorge linked up well for the first time in a while. We were strong at the back and looked good in midfield. Thats quite a few times I've seen Broad play now and I can't say that I've been disappointed with him once. He was running around a lot and closing people down, even right at the end, and gives us a bit of energy.

All we could do was win and we did it.

It doesn't change my opinion on Merson because it was still only against a team several leagues below us but you can't fault us on that game (apart from the p1ss poor wall we could have gone on to win quite comfortably).

If we are that professional in league games then I might change my opinion because its likely we'll start winning but I won't hold my breath.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:52 am

Joe who? I'm sorry, MMF, but a midfield player just can't be that anonymous. Kinsella's job was to hold, Taylor and Broad to create, especially in a midfield three. He created sod all all match and, as that was his job, he was a failure, no matter how much he ran about.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:54 am

PS. go and sort out Wetnwild on Rivals before the gloating about your non appearance gets any worse.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:58 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I disagree, actually, Warsaw. We were all over them like a rash when the second went in and only a rash and fairly stupid challenge from Staunton (just watch it on Pete Lee's site again - straight through the back of the player on the edge of the box - that's why I can't say he played at all well, as it wasn't the only one) and a piece of crass silliness from Kinsella let them back in. If we'd have got a third when it was 2 - 0, we'd have been rivalling Colchester.

(And, Staffs Saddler, that's no criticism of Merson, as there's nothing he could have done about it, just the two players concerned in this case)

So we were all over them - from the 25th minute when Kinsella scored to the 29th minute when Kinsella ducked!!!

It's usually me taking a blindly optimistic view of things - well done, keep it up. :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:08 am

Bad choice of words! It was for a fifteen or so minute period during which we got the second when we were playing them off the park and, I thought, could have pressed on.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:25 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Joe who? I'm sorry, MMF, but a midfield player just can't be that anonymous.

Its great. There's certain words on here that will guarantee to get a reaction. Broad and ID cards both been proven!

Anonmous is good. Less chance of errors. :wink: I wish a certain someone was anonymous.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Until we start performing well for something approaching 90 minutes we are going nowehere. Sometimes we play well in the second half when we're chasing the game (Barnsley, Huddersfield etc) Other times we produce a dominant spell but then switch off and get punished (Yeovil, Chesterfield). Against Merthyr they didn't have what it takes to punish us, amen to that, but the problm is there just the same as it was at Bournemouth and Oldham in August 2004, and save for the last 6 games last year - ever since.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Until we start performing well for something approaching 90 minutes we are going nowehere. Sometimes we play well in the second half when we're chasing the game (Barnsley, Huddersfield etc) Other times we produce a dominant spell but then switch off and get punished (Yeovil, Chesterfield). Against Merthyr they didn't have what it takes to punish us, amen to that, but the problm is there just the same as it was at Bournemouth and Oldham in August 2004, and save for the last 6 games last year - ever since.

bang on geordie

steelmass

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:49 pm

I tell you it was cold in that little shed on friday at least we got past, anyway well done to chasetown

steelmass

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:37 pm

Image 8)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:31 am

I thought the Staunton foul was harsh as he got the ball. I'd like to see it again though. The wall was a disgrace.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:51 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I thought the Staunton foul was harsh as he got the ball. I'd like to see it again though. The wall was a disgrace.

The FIFA directive is quite clear now, in that you can't tackle from behind, whether you get the ball or not. I thought it was debatable if he did, but his other foot went straight through the player anyway.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:06 pm

Just been on the Merthyr Tydfil website and somebody is ribbing Geoff on his green coat. The word spreads ! :o

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:31 am

Dave Roe wrote:Just been on the Merthyr Tydfil website and somebody is ribbing Geoff on his green coat. The word spreads ! :o

Dave, chill, it was only Dave the Saddler mate, nothing new at all ! :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:47 am

steelmass wrote:Image 8)

Suprised nobody commented on the large UFO that was hovering over the main stand. Mind you, although its brighter than the floodlights it does look decidedly like a weather balloon. Sure it would have got a mention in PM's post-match excuse list had we lost.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:56 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I thought the Staunton foul was harsh as he got the ball. I'd like to see it again though. The wall was a disgrace.

The FIFA directive is quite clear now, in that you can't tackle from behind, whether you get the ball or not. I thought it was debatable if he did, but his other foot went straight through the player anyway.

Clear foul, bit foolish to be frank. :shock:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:Just been on the Merthyr Tydfil website and somebody is ribbing Geoff on his green coat. The word spreads ! :o

Dave, chill, it was only Dave the Saddler mate, nothing new at all ! :lol:

Seems a good bloke, this Dave The Saddler.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season