Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley - AWAY - 29th Oct 05

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:36 pm

Wolves 3 - 0 down[/quote]

I normally don't give a toss but that brought a smile to my face.They completely outplayed Watford first half.

MrC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:37 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Bloody Chelsea 4 - 2 up (gone 1 - 0, 2 - 0, 2 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 2, 4 - 2)

Wolves 3 - 0 down

Radio Wolves will be hilarious to listen to in a few minutes...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:38 pm

MrC wrote:So...are we going to protest at the Cup game? :roll: :roll: :roll:

If we're losing by a couple of goals towards the end of the game he deserves everything he gets. The way we are at the moment its a possibility.

The MERSON OUT chants will be shouted straight down the microphones around the perimeter of the pitch so everyone in the whole bloody country can hear them.

Expect and equaliser in a minute. :lol:

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:38 pm

Whats the frequency? Might help take my mind off my own misery :)

MrC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:39 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

If we're losing by a couple of goals towards the end of the game he deserves everything he gets. The way we are at the moment its a possibility.

The MERSON OUT chants will be shouted straight down the microphones around the perimeter of the pitch so everyone in the whole bloody country can hear them.

Fair enough...but I suggest any protest isn't left to wfc_2uk and Stonnall Saddler to arrange. I mean, anything involving Stonnall Saddler just gets pissed at with laughter anyway...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:40 pm

Fair play to Watford. Sell one player and get a few in who have haven't performed at their previous clubs and get great results.

All managed by a young inexperienced manager who was though of as the cheap option proving it doesn't matter about experience, its all about attitude, workrate and intelligence.

MrC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Fair play to Watford. Sell one player and get a few in who have haven't performed at their previous clubs and get great results.

All managed by a young inexperienced manager who was though of as the cheap option proving it doesn't matter about experience, its all about attitude, workrate and intelligence.

A message to Mr Bonsor, perhaps?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Fair play to Watford. Sell one player and get a few in who have haven't performed at their previous clubs and get great results.

He's learned very quickly, hasn't he? Might it be because he had some coaching experience and got an experienced number 2?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:42 pm

MrC wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Fair enough...but I suggest any protest isn't left to wfc_2uk and Stonnall Saddler to arrange. I mean, anything involving Stonnall Saddler just gets pissed at with laughter anyway...

Indeed. Although the "arranged" protest got a bit of publicity, its something that really only works on a spur of the moment thing. And if the result isn't right next week I really don't see how anyone can defend him any longer. The way we're losing players I'm really not that confident about it at all.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:43 pm

Leitao booked

MrC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:45 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
MrC wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Indeed. Although the "arranged" protest got a bit of publicity, its something that really only works on a spur of the moment thing. And if the result isn't right next week I really don't see how anyone can defend him any longer. The way we're losing players I'm really not that confident about it at all.

I'm pretty concerned about next week already...

Gilmartin in goals with 1 average performance behind him and Merson's motivational talk ringing in his ears...
Gerrard playing out of position (presumably) at right back...
Most of the team playing in front of cameras for the first time...
Styebal and Demontagnac with the combined total of 7 games between them...
And 12 injuries and a suspension or two...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:45 pm

How many bookings is that now then? Far too many. No discipline. Rubbish. I bet Merson doesn't even fine players who get booked as part of his motivational technique.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:47 pm

1 red and 4 yellow

MrC

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:48 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:1 red and 4 yellow

At least we avoid a league fine...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:58 pm

Kearns is saying Barnsley were hanging on at the end but it really doesn't matter because he also said that we were awful first half and didn't turn up.

Just like last season and already a few times this we try to play for half a match and expect to win. It can't be done, we have to play for 90 minutes if we're going to put a decent run of results together.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:59 pm

Styebal and Demontagnac with the combined total of 7 games between them...

And we send smith back on loan hmmmmmmmmm

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:05 pm

Redordead wrote:Styebal and Demontagnac with the combined total of 7 games between them...

And we send smith back on loan hmmmmmmmmm

It's worse than that, when you remember Ossie was injured. It doesn't matter why he wanted to go back (unless there's something we don't know), but he should have been told no, until after today's game. Don't know if he played, but Gills won.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:23 pm

Yes, he played the whole 90 minutes.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:25 pm

Guest wrote:Yes, he played the whole 90 minutes.

Who did?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:38 pm

Who did? Smith did. Did he? Yes.

In fact, to expand, the 'post match' posts from their Rivals site give Smithy MOTM,

"still, smiffy did what's been needed....all the mopping up. and it was lovely to see his big beaming smile at the end of it, hands above his head. "

"Totally agree DT. Great to have him back where he belongs."

Meanwhile, we played our centre back in central-midfield, ahead of the central midfielder sitting on the bench.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:00 pm

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:11 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Disgusting. I feel sick reading it. Smith was showing promise, we were desperately short of experienced midfielders. Gills win, we lose. One more set of results like that and they'll be above us.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:24 pm

King Crimson wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Disgusting. I feel sick reading it. Smith was showing promise, we were desperately short of experienced midfielders. Gills win, we lose. One more set of results like that and they'll be above us.

& the worrying thing is, we play eachother next league game. :?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:33 pm

Thanks for that, Rob! :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:43 pm

No worries. :wink:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:54 pm

ah well, we never win at oakwell anyway. We'll win a game in December maybe.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:07 pm

If ever a game had two completely contrasting halves then this was it. First half performance was completely ineffectual. Any Merthyr scouts would have been rubbing their hands with glee.We did not pose any threat whatsoever. WHY when Standing was injured was Gerrard brought into midfield where I thought he looked like a fish out of water( but cant blame him for that). Could not understand why Jorge did not come on instead even if we were persisting with a 4-5-1 system that was just not working. We were lucky to be only 1 nil down. Not sure whether Murphy could have done better with the goal, but dont really like to criticise as I thought otherwise he had an excellent game.At last at half time Merson changed things with bringing Jorge on & switching to 4 4 2. We immediately looked the better side and looked like every chance of getting back into the game then. But then WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH PEAD'S HEAD? Nothing presumably, completely unprofessional especially in the circumstances- your team is one down & the play is near the half way line & touch, but you're coming back into the game- oh kick a player lying on the ground & get yourself sent off. Oh the player who scored their winner came in from the area of the box that Pead presumably would have been covering. IDIOT!
But the team really responded to the sending off. I thought that it was a real battling performance & that they deserved the applause for their second half performance. Thought we didnt get that bit of luck that would have brought a deserved point ( not helped by some bizarre refereeing decisions). Thought Fyratt did well as did Jorge ( his persistence made the goal). Bit disappointed in the new kid.
Why we did not start 4 4 2 with Jorge only Merson knows.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:17 pm

Hull - Thanks for the report. As I've said elsewhere Merson said on WM that he couldn't play 4-4-2 even though he wanted to because he didn't have two fit strikers. Then happens to bring a fit Jorge on and does just that. He's a prat.

The problem is Hull, you're congratulating them on a much improved second half performance just as I did at Huddersfield but its not good playing for 45 minutes, we do it to often under Merson. We did it at Huddersfield and I'm sure you were at Hull last year.

They may deserve the applause but as long as we clapping them off at the end while they only play well in the second half then Merson and the players will think all is rosy when in fact they've only done half a job.
Last edited by Magic Man Fan on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 pm

According to Kearns, we should also have the Ref to thank for not being reduced to 9 men before we scored.

He reckoned that Roper was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow for bringing someone down, it was 1-0 at that point.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:48 pm

Agree with your points Magic Man. Yes I was obviously at the Hull game & at Huddersfield where taken over the whole 90 minutes the performance was not good enough. I suppose it's when you've watched a second half stirring effort & the team have actually given you something to get worked up about then I suppose it's natural to applaud their efforts. I think there was also a feeling of 'well at least that 45 mins was worth watching' especially after a first half when time seemed to go so extremely slowly in such a DULL DREARY UNINSPIRING way. Couldnt have born a second half like that.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season