Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster (H) 22-10-05

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:27 pm

Walsall 3-2 Doncaster. We will come back from being 2 goals down, just like against Huddersfield last season. Ishmel Demontagnac will be man of the match........again.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:39 am

Preview now on line

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:01 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Preview now on line

Where can I find that, Neil? :?

:)

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:35 pm

A good, solid win...

The first half was very poor but it picked up in the second.

Murphy, Pead and Ishmel particularly impressive.

wton_saddler

Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:52 pm

OK, Its 5.50PM, Where are the Anti Merse brigade? My God, you go so quiet when we win!! PATHETIC!!!!

WS1
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:04 pm

Good win today, though Donny missed a few sitters, Murphy looks to have lost a few stones and looked better for it. Ishmel was a slow starter but got in to the game has it wore on. Roper to me was man of the match and Merson did right in getting Gerrard on when they threw unfortune-West on. Super cross off Fox for our goal and the back four was very impressive. I'm sure Westwood would have played better today having Roper along side him.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:20 pm

Well Done to the lads today for a decent performance, a type of performance that always seems to get Merson out the cack. Like Franksy said again on WM the win just papers over the cracks. Agree that Donny missed a few sitters but I thought Murphy looked better than he did last year (hope I havent jinxed it). Ishmael was outstanding again, hes got a great first touch. Must praise Ian Roper today though, has not played a competitive game and although he made one silly attempt at a pass I thought he had a good game. Still fat is he?!! :shock:

Anyway im pleased we got a result gets us closer to the play-offs and a little further away from the trap door. We are always going to take one step forward two back under Merse but this gives the "pro-Merse" something to get their teeths into.

UTS!

WS1
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:25 pm

But WFC-2UK where was the protest, Has I have stated before I am not a Merson Fan or anti Merson.

You stated the protest was to be at the Donny game, you have really let your self down----will any one belieive you after today and you spouted off on WM radio Friday night of your protest at todays game.

Why was there no protest then !!!!!!!!!!!!

Salford_Saddler

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:36 pm

Walsall had good performances all round the park. Kris Taylor glad to see him back he gives the midfield some bite. Larossa was decent held the ball up and did his job well. Roper was sharp and alert. Pead didnt star too well but came round and made a solid performance.

Now Merson played a part quality Sub to put Jorge on i thought the game was crying out for jorge to play. It was a game that suited his play.
Gerrard was great when he came on making vital challenges and tackles.

The reaction at the end of the match showed it all they truly celebrated the victory. In a fashion i believe saying they had done it for the manager.

Overall a quality game of football with both teams playing well. Donnyplayed well but lost in in the last 10 with some poor challenges.

COME ON YOU REDS. WELL PLAYED SUPER SADDLERS

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:38 pm

WS1 wrote:But WFC-2UK where was the protest, Has I have stated before I am not a Merson Fan or anti Merson.

You stated the protest was to be at the Donny game, you have really let your self down----will any one belieive you after today and you spouted off on WM radio Friday night of your protest at todays game.

I fail to remember me saying it was my protest? I remember someone called Bob Fossil starting the thread I just carried it on. For anyone elses interest if you had walked to your car on the official car park you would have saw a silver corsa parked outside with a MERSON OUT banner on its roof. I did my bit, no-one else bothered to join in, I aint a one man band you know. I suggest you ask Bob Fossil,Metfan,Percie,Stonall even MMF what they did at the game today, after they also offered to join in with the protest?

I havent let myself down, im happy because (a) the unrest from the fans got to the club this week and (b) we won.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:39 pm

As I posted in another thread...

Code: Select all
 F  A
 0  2
 0  1
 2  3
 1  1
 2  1
 2  0
 3  0
 3  1
 3  0
 1  0
------
17  9

In the last 10 matches where Ian Roper has been in the starting 11 we have 17 goals for, and 9 against.
Add to this that he came in as a substitute in our 0-0 match vs. Bournemouth earlier this season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:54 pm

Happy to get a win today, but I'm hardly what you'd call "over the moon" at the performance. It was certainly better than of late, but equally certainly, it's nowhere near enough to get me thinking we've turned the corner. If this turns out to be the first of a string of results, then I'll start to feel better, but for now - well it was OK and 3 points are a big help in our position, but I agree it's only papering over the cracks so far, and it's still only 14 points from the last 39, and overall 20 from 45.

We were often out-run, out-paced and out-muscled, and Donny missed several sitters. Murphy brought much more stability, but several of his "saves" were from poor efforts that should have been hit far better by their strikers.

Roper definitely earned his place, but while Franksy was saying on WM yesterday that PM was bringing him back to add height to the defence, we all know he brought him back because he had little or no choice, with Westwood out and Gerrard only just coming back from injury. I hope this heralds a run in the side for Roper alongside Gerrard - the partnership that was so successful at the end of last season - but I predict that Tinkerman Merse willl put the under-performing Westwood straight back in the side as soon as he's fit.

Overall, I'm well short of being convinced by this win - if I was a Donny fan I'd be feeling my side deserved at least a point - and no doubt some on here will say I'm still not happy even though we won.

Well I agree, actually I'm not, I'm pleased with 3 points, but I'm very sceptical about any claims that this is a turning point, we still have a very long way to go before I'll be convinced of that.

As for the protest, I don't know, it's hard to go ahead with that after a win, any win. All I know is the comments about "not a sound during the game" are rubbish - there was never any intention to protest DURING the game, so it's hardly a surprise that there weren't any dissenting voices! After the game though, I made my way from Block L to Block P straight away, and there was no-one around.

Spoke to Stafflers on the way though, nice to meet up with you at long last mate. :D
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:55 pm

WS1 wrote:But WFC-2UK where was the protest, Has I have stated before I am not a Merson Fan or anti Merson.

YOUR NOT PRO OR ANTI MERSON??? WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT? WHY DONT YOU JUST GET OFF THE FENCE AND GET YOURSELF A POINT OF VIEW IT HELPS TO HAVE ONE IN A FORUM :roll:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:06 pm

wton_saddler wrote:OK, Its 5.50PM, Where are the Anti Merse brigade? My God, you go so quiet when we win!! PATHETIC!!!!

PATHETIC? What are you on about?

A lot of people don't get back home by 5.50pm after a game, it ain't compulsory to rush home to the Message Board as far as I'm aware! In my case, I went back to my office in Wednesbury for over an hour before locking up and returning home, which is 12 miles away.

Give people a chance for Christ's sake.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:20 pm

Have to agree with Geoff's summing up of the match. One thing I noticed today was that both Murphy and Roper (at times) were very vocal in the organising of the defence. More than once various team members were on the receiving end of a Murphy bollocking when they cocked up.

On the subject of the protest I agree that it fizzled out into nothing. It is very difficult to protest if you actually win.

Listening to Merson's interview on the radio I was intrigued to hear him agree with Franksy that a settled team is very important to get a good run going. Is this the same PM that has said all season that it is a squad game and he prefers to rotate players from match to match?

I am not going to join the Merson in brigade as I believe that he still has a lot to learn. As soon as I can see any consistent signs of improvement I will think about reviewing my opinion.

It was nice to have a chat with Zippy before the game and listen to his views on PM. Some good points made Zippy but we will still have to agree to disagree.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:23 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
wton_saddler wrote:OK, Its 5.50PM, Where are the Anti Merse brigade? My God, you go so quiet when we win!! PATHETIC!!!!

A lot of people don't get back home by 5.50pm after a game, it ain't compulsory to rush home to the Message Board as far as I'm aware! In my case, I went back to my office in Wednesbury for over an hour before locking up and returning home, which is 12 miles away.

No good geoff, It's 7.26pm now and still no sign.

wton_saddler

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Redordead wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Thanks, Redorded, they are quick enough to respond when we lose! As I said before - PATHETIC!!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:44 pm

wton_saddler wrote:
Redordead wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Thanks, Redorded, they are quick enough to respond when we lose! As I said before - PATHETIC!!
merson out!!! hows that then?

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:47 pm

I must admit that if we had been woeful today i would have give it "Merson OUT" big style, but i will refrain from coming on here and banging on about sitting in block P for a week :roll:
Last edited by Redordead on Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:48 pm

To be honest todays perfomance excited me. I thought we were dangerous and committed in all areas of the park. The presence of Roper and Murphy settled the whole team.

But Merson needs to pick this type of team week in and week out

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:49 pm

true words sj. Just hope merse has the cahooners to stick with a wining side

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:51 pm

Redordead wrote:true words sj. Just hope merse has the cahooners to stick with a wining side

Hope you meant winning side. :shock:

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:59 pm

must bee ay problum wiv me spill chucker :lol:

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:00 pm

Redordead wrote:must bee ay problum wiv me spill chucker :lol:

God i read that twice before i noticed the spelling mistakes.

Need to get out more.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:08 pm

I actually thought it was a much improved performance today,we looked a lot more solid at the back with Roper there.he never missed a header all match,Murphy for me was man of the match,assured in his handling of high balls,always shouting out instructions to the back 4,and twice giving them bollocking for mistakes,and a couple of good saves to boot.the midfield were generally very compitant in there work,but b4 Jorge came I thought the attack were a little light weight.but all in all as I have said a much improved performance, but like geoff and Dave I am still a little septical,was this a lets save the gaffers job performance,only the next 5 or 6 games will tell,untill then I will reserve judgment.nice to see geoff,EVO,Dave Gittens and Zippy in the club beforehand,and meeting Walsall 1984 in the club afterwards,she's a very nice lady,Hope your lad enjoyed his presentation b4 the match Dave Roe,sorry I missed you because you had to leave early.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:16 pm

Sorry for not coming on earlier - I didn't tealise there were time limits! :lol:

Personally I thought Walsall did OK today - Roper made a massive difference, and despite not being excited about Murphys return - he also did well. First thing that impressed me was the rollocking he gave the defence after about a minute when they still seemed to be asleep. Showed he cared! He does seem to have shed a few pounds too.

Ishy's touch was fantastic at times, not sure he always knows where the ball is going - but great to watch. Going forward Wright did well too. Fryatt wants too much time on the ball - needs to get rid quicker. I was impressed with Larossa, timing of sub was about right too. Standing also looked livelier today.

Still want Merson out though !!!!!!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Redordead wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

My sincerest apologies, but I am not aware of any deadlines or time limits on this board ! In fact I am reliably informed, though it has not actually been PROVEN to me, that there are some people who go to our matches who NEVER come on here afterwards to express an opinion one way or the other. I know it sounds far-fetched, but who knows, it COULD be true! :D

WS1
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:05 pm

sid swifty wrote:

YOUR NOT PRO OR ANTI MERSON??? WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT? WHY DONT YOU JUST GET OFF THE FENCE AND GET YOURSELF A POINT OF VIEW IT HELPS TO HAVE ONE IN A FORUM :roll:

Pal I support Walsall FC and if Paul Merson is manager so be it, I could not do his job so why should I slate him aand I will be at Barnsley next week supporting the club.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:14 pm

"My sincerest apologies, but I am not aware of any deadlines or time limits on this board ! In fact I am reliably informed, though it has not actually been PROVEN to me, that there are some people who go to our matches who NEVER come on here afterwards to express an opinion one way or the other. I know it sounds far-fetched, but who knows, it COULD be true!"

too true there are no deadlines or time limits on this board but the statement was that the Block P massive were nowhere to be found and that it would have been inundated with MERSEOUT's if we had lost

WS1
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:18 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:

I fail to remember me saying it was my protest? I remember someone called Bob Fossil starting the thread I just carried it on. For anyone elses interest if you had walked to your car on the official car park you would have saw a silver corsa parked outside with a MERSON OUT banner on its roof. I did my bit, no-one else bothered to join in, I aint a one man band you know. I suggest you ask Bob Fossil,Metfan,Percie,Stonall even MMF what they did at the game today, after they also offered to join in with the protest?

I havent let myself down, im happy because (a) the unrest from the fans got to the club this week and (b) we won.

But you was one of them mouthing off all week on this board and on WM radio Friday night, it got to the club in wich way, have they posted any thing on the O/S or have they e-mailed you ?

I'm glad your happy because we won today so am I and if you had seen the happy faces of Paul Merson and Ian Roper when ropes got towards the tunnel you would see how much it ment to both, infact Merse shook hands with all the Walsall team and they showed they was happy with Merse.

See you at Barnsley pal we have one thing in common supporting the SADDLERS.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season