Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (A)- 15th October 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:44 pm

Two more players off injuried so far... Broad and Fryatt :(

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:07 pm

Match report now on line. Irrespective of what people think of Merson, 11 points put of the last 36 is getting very, very dangerous and confidence will be draining away. I make it three of the teams below us have now gone above us.

Shad

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:10 pm

Wyrleysadler wrote:Huddersfield 3
Walsall 1
:(

Shad wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:3-1 defeat and Merson on the brink.........of a stern telling off from Bonser

Unfortunatly I agree
#

There are many psychics!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Good news! Karl Hawley's goal against Mansfield means we haven't got the worst defensive record in the entire football league!

Greg WP

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:29 pm

At this rate we could conceed 100 goals this season. Any team that concedes 100 goals and stays up deserves promotion, if u know what I mean??

Wyrleysadler

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:44 pm

Shad wrote:
Wyrleysadler wrote:Huddersfield 3
Walsall 1
:(

Shad wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:3-1 defeat and Merson on the brink.........of a stern telling off from Bonser

Unfortunatly I agree
#

There are many psychics!

:D i got it write but :( we lost

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Shambles for first goal, an undeserved but well taken equaliser by Paul Smith, a simple second and third which exposed our defensive frailities. Did not think Huddersfield looked top of the table , but there again they didn't really need to. Has Ruddy's mom told him not to venture beyond his 6 yard line? Why is Roper not given a chance to bring some solidity and heading ability to the central defence ? Do the players have a clear idea of what they are meant to be doing? Mid -table mediocrity, if we are lucky, Spotland & Moss Lane here we come if we are not.

Valence Finstorr

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Why was westwood given the captains armband before he'd even played a game for the club? Now he's the weak link in the defence, but he's picked every week because he's captain. Great management.

Why did everyone want Merson to stay as manager this time last year? The same problems are evident now as were then, but right now, people have had enough. Why were people so soft to let him carry on for a whole year whilst it was obvious he hadnt got a clue?

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:07 pm

Valence Finstorr wrote:Why was westwood given the captains armband before he'd even played a game for the club? Now he's the weak link in the defence, but he's picked every week because he's captain. Great management.

Cant explain that one valence, all i can think of is that it was on reputation, and he shouted a lot at the other players. Come to think of it who was captain last season?

Westwood is a good player but needs a solid centre back alongside him.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:29 pm

toffo wrote:
Valence Finstorr wrote:Why was westwood given the captains armband before he'd even played a game for the club? Now he's the weak link in the defence, but he's picked every week because he's captain. Great management.

Cant explain that one valence, all i can think of is that it was on reputation, and he shouted a lot at the other players. Come to think of it who was captain last season?

Westwood is a good player but needs a solid centre back alongside him.

he can play good football but hes not brilliant in the air, he had nelson at hartlepool to do the messy heading and "ian roperesque" defending for him

he would be the rio to ropers sol campbell if you know what i mean

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:37 pm

toffo wrote:Westwood is a good player but needs a solid centre back alongside him.

Agree with you there. For me, Westwwod had a very good game for us today. I would not blame him for the first goal - Abbott was able to attack the ball whereas Westwood could only jump from standing and was therefore always the least likely of the two to win the ball. More of the blame should be directed at Ruddy for not coming off his line to claim the ball. As much as I don't like to mention Jimmy Walker, I know for a fact that he would have come for the ball, taking his own player out in the process if it meant not conceding a goal.

People who didn't go to the game today will see it as another poor performance. However, if you take away the first 15 minutes or so when we had too many players being lazy or getting caught out of position, I felt we played quite well today. We were by far the better team in the second half and had enough chances to draw the game, if not more. Demontagnac gave them problems all afternoon and looks like he is what we have been missing on the left. The problem is, I don't believe we have anyone good enough to play on the right. Leitao looked like a player being played out of position and Wright has done very little in the last 2 years to convince me that he is anything better than a mediocre league 2 player.

With Fryatt on a different planet (in a bad way) today, Larossa came on and offered us something different, winning more in the air and trying to keep it simple. The problem is, as it has been said before, we lack a target man of the Andy Rammell mould. At the moment, it is all very well Ishmel getting to the byline and putting quality balls into the box, but we have nobody who looks likely to put the ball in the back of the net.

As for the future, the next game is massive. I feel we need a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games to keep the play offs in sight. Wheteher this will be done and whether Merson will still be at the club in 2 games' time, is up for debate. PS. Can anyone reveal exactly what Merson said in his interview on WM for the people on the way back from the match, who weren't able to hear it?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:53 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:PS. Can anyone reveal exactly what Merson said in his interview on WM for the people on the way back from the match, who weren't able to hear it?

He was making excuses for Matty - he's tired, he's only 19, played 5 or 6 international games in the summer while the others only played in friendlies, blah, blah, blah, etc. - poor little lamb! He felt we were in control but individual errors cost us goals again, naming Ruddy as a target. We were way below strength, etc. - well you can guess it anyway as he's been rehearsing his excuses all week.

All in all, nothing to fill you with confidence that he's the man to put it right!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:58 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:He was making excuses for Matty - he's tired, he's only 19, played 5 or 6 international games in the summer while the others only played in friendlies, blah, blah, blah, etc. - poor little lamb! He felt we were in control but individual errors cost us goals again, naming Ruddy as a target. We were way below strength, etc. - well you can guess it anyway as he's been rehearsing his excuses all week.

All in all, nothing to fill you with confidence that he's the man to put it right!

Oh dear. :(

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:58 pm

so ruddy joins the list of players done on radio by merson, yet hes never in the list...

i thought in the second half we competed well, but it wasnt enough in the first half we were a bit powderpuff and it hurt us

they didnt look like champions material but they did enough

Foxy

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:20 pm

For me the difference between the teams was that Huddersfield had two in-form, hard-working, experienced strikers. We had a teenager who didn't look interested, an experienced striker playing in midfield and a couple of substitutes who had never started a league game for the club. Their defence was no better than ours, we just didn't test it enough.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Well after going to Huddersfield under the weather I can say we wasnt too bad second half. First half we were mediocre.

I hope Merson got the idea when 400 walsall fans were singing "merson time to go". There comes a time when you really need to halt the sinking ship and getting a new face on board. Too be honest to the zips and ernests out there, fair enough if you really see Merson as a saviour but its getting more and more worrying and I dont think that he can do it. I just hopee JB realises this sooner rather than later.

Any talk on WM about the fans chants? They were quite loud and Merson walked off in a huff after the game without clapping us off, guess he did hear us.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:51 pm

Fancy not clapping you for attempting to end his career. What a toss pot. He must go surely.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:13 am

hullsaddler wrote: Spotland & Moss Lane here we come

Oh God, please not Spotland!

I'm tempted to send him a postcard from Vietnam with the simple words:

GET OUT

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:29 am

I doubt anyone heard the chants, they were pretty quiet.

Had a classic conversation with Jabba's mate after the game. It roughly went.

JM "we played well today considering the injuries"

GS "So who would you have picked that wasn't available through injury?"

JM "Wrack, err Wright on the left wing, Oakes, this keeper's crap, and err.."

GS "Wrack has been crap all season before he got injured agreed?"

JM "yes"

GS "You would have dropped Demontagnac in favour of Wright?"

JM "Yes"

GS "Merson signed and picked Ruddy ahead of our other two keepers, is he not to blame?"

Silence.

At this point I gave up, was I talking to Zippy by any chance?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:34 am

Ah, the injuries! Like you pointed out, it was just geting the excuses in first, wasn't it, as the number of first choice starters missing was probably three.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:03 am

And one of those was Osborn, suspended not injured thanks to the complete lack of discipline we have at Bescot. If he hadn't bee suspended he was probably due a "rest" anyway, not having had one since Swansea at home. The whole situation is complete farce, and like I said after Chesterfield at home nobody seems that bothered. There is still enough latent support for Merson that a good five minutes against Doncaster next week and it will be "Paul Merson's barmy army", if ever a chant summed up the mental state of the singers it is that one.

There were some good songs yesterday, although the best ones were all too quiet to be heard in the executive box or the dug out, I particularly liked "you're sh!t and your better than us" just about summed up this whole season, in fact the whole Merson era. He will remain so long as the apathy persists.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:41 am

Some great summing up above.

As wfc says the second half was a good a performance as we've seen for a while but it makes no odd when we keep conceding soft goals

The first one was a joke. A ball over that should have been dealt with. As was mentioned above there's no doubt Wacka would have come for that commanded his box and taken the ball, but when are people going to realise that Wacka is long gone and we were blessed to have him for so long, they can't expect the same standard of keeping, especially from an 18 year old which is why Merson should have bought in someone experienced. Its not good blaming Ruddy even if the goal was half his fault. Decision making is somethin keepers learn over a number of years. In my opinion the ball should have been dealt with by Westwood before it reached Ruddy. He's captain and needs to make decisions and take control, like all good centre halfs do. The first thing they are taught is to get rid of the ball. He rendered responsibility to Ruddy, a kid. Not very captain like. After that and the stick he got from the fans Westwood made a concerted effort to make a point and played well but his aerial frailties cost him. He needs Roper alongside him or Bennett and soon. The songs for Roper are getting more vocal each week, stop being stubborn Merson and pick him because its costing you your job.

Second goal was also soft, Fox was beaten far too easily on the byline and the cross came over and Abbott got in front of Bennett too easily. Same for the third goal really.

Fryatt was awful and if he wasn't fit from the start he shouldn't have played. His first touch went to the opposition I'd say around 90% of the time and when he did hold the ball he passed it to them! In contrast Jorge worked very hard for the first time in a few weeks but added to that he added some craft to it but Fryatt wasn't awake to take advantage.

We looked a different side when Larossa came on, he won flick ons, most of which he had to chase himself and he held the ball up far better which meant midfield could catch up with play and we had some pressure for a change. I thought Broad played well again. Give him time, he does the simple things well and isn't afraid to chase back and help defence which we lack a lot of in my opinon. Smith is getting better with every game and got a good goal. Ishmel frightens the opposition and gives us something different, but he held on to the ball too long too often yesterday unlike the last couple of games.

It was mentioned above that we don't have an option on the right. Personally I think Husbands could have done that given time but he's gone and Wright should be given the chance. We need the pace on the right like Demontagnac has to allow Fryatt to be dropped and Jorge to go up front.

All in all a better performance, if only for 45 minutes (how many times did we say that last season?) but it matters jack cack if he can't sort and organise the defence with some work on the training ground.

The anti Merson noise is building but it will still take a home defeat or two to change the situation unless fans get on his back at home games. I supported the team for 80 minutes then felt it was time he had some stick. To those who start singing loyal supporters, fair enough but I spend a lot of money watching Walsall and I am entitled to my opinion. I was happy to praise the team and clap them off at the end but I will not applaud Merson who doesn't deserve it. The song in reply to those who doubt our committment and loyalty to WFC summed it up perfectly:

"WE'LL BE HERE WHEN MERSON'S GONE, WE'LL BE HERE WHEN MERSON'S GONE"

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:01 pm

I have to say, MMF, having seen the goals again on Sky, you can blame Westwood and Ruddy for the first and Fox for the second, but Bennett was actually partially at fault with all three. Nowhere near his man for 1 and 3 and wrong side of him for 2.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I have to say, MMF, having seen the goals again on Sky, you can blame Westwood and Ruddy for the first and Fox for the second, but Bennett was actually partially at fault with all three. Nowhere near his man for 1 and 3 and wrong side of him for 2.

I agree thats why I said:

"Second goal was also soft, Fox was beaten far too easily on the byline and the cross came over and Abbott got in front of Bennett too easily. Same for the third goal really." :wink:

Thats why I also said he needs to get Roper in alongside Westwood.

I still blame Fox for the second more than Bennett, you can't see it properly on TV but he'd already stopped the winger getting the ball over then let him turn him far too easily to get the cross over just like he did on far too many occasions at Vale. A full backs job is to stop crosses coming over and I don't feel Fox does that anywhere near as well as Pead. I still rate him and he's been a good signing for us but he needs some guidance and coaching. Perhaps our highly experienced International left back will recognise the problem and say something. I won't hold my breath.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I have to say, MMF, having seen the goals again on Sky, you can blame Westwood and Ruddy for the first and Fox for the second, but Bennett was actually partially at fault with all three. Nowhere near his man for 1 and 3 and wrong side of him for 2.

I agree thats why I said:

"Second goal was also soft, Fox was beaten far too easily on the byline and the cross came over and Abbott got in front of Bennett too easily. Same for the third goal really." :wink:

Thats why I also said he needs to get Roper in alongside Westwood.

I still blame Fox for the second more than Bennett, you can't see it properly on TV but he'd already stopped the winger getting the ball over then let him turn him far too easily to get the cross over just like he did on far too many occasions at Vale. A full backs job is to stop crosses coming over and I don't feel Fox does that anywhere near as well as Pead. I still rate him and he's been a good signing for us but he needs some guidance and coaching. Perhaps our highly experienced International left back will recognise the problem and say something. I won't hold my breath.

I imagine he will probably say something like "Ah Merse me old matey, pick us when I'm fit and I'll get the beers in".

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:16 pm

I meant to say above that people took the piss when I suggested Claridge would be a good signing last season because he'd be able to hold the ball up for us.

4 goals in 3 games is it now? And probably fitter than any of our players!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:23 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I meant to say above that people took the piss when I suggested Claridge would be a good signing last season because he'd be able to hold the ball up for us.

4 goals in 3 games is it now? And probably fitter than any of our players!

We could do a lot worse.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:27 pm

Too late now, Bradford took the initiative and they've got a player who still wants to play with pride despite his age...unlike some.

Apparently Juan Ugarte is available on a loan from Crewe. Not that scoring is a problem of course.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:32 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:As was mentioned above there's no doubt Wacka would have come for that commanded his box and taken the ball, but when are people going to realise that Wacka is long gone and we were blessed to have him for so long, they can't expect the same standard of keeping, especially from an 18 year old which is why Merson should have bought in someone experienced.

It was me who made the comment about what Jimmy Walker would have done. Perhaps using Jimmy Walker was a bad example, but the point I was trying to make was that when the ball drops like that, on the edge of the box, the goalkeeper should come and take the ball, even if this means taking your own player out in the process. Your point about needing an experienced goalkeeper is a good one as I think most experienced goalkeepers would have done what I have just said.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Sorry Rob, I wasn't criticising you mentioning Walker, its just that its too easy to compare all the keepers we've had and will have to Walker.

I had a feeling you'd think that I meant you but I meant others in general. I actually agreed with your point. He needs to command his box much more but then so do our defenders.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season