Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons: predictions without protest

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:30 pm

wfc_2uk wrote:1-1, then the protest :twisted:

Guess I was right again! :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:43 pm

WFC_2UK, maybe i saw a different game, but I thought Joe Broad was dire. The bloke contributed nothing apart from being caught in possession, giving passes away and not being sharp enough for competitive football at this level. He worked hard, but his contribution was minimal. Not his fault, thats what happens when you go from Redditch United to 90mins in League 1 over a week.

And I thought Westwood had a good game, he made 3/4 superb interceptions and made one absolutely fantastic tackle from behind on Paul Mitchell when it looked as though Mitchell was through in the first half.

I just Westwood lacks a 'stopper' alongside him, which he did have at Hartlepool.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:51 pm

[quote="Zippyzip"]2 - 0 win to us.

Followed by a Zippy Out protest, cos I was right again.

spot on again zippy.how do you do it?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:01 pm

Stu wrote:WFC_2UK, maybe i saw a different game, but I thought Joe Broad was dire. The bloke contributed nothing apart from being caught in possession, giving passes away and not being sharp enough for competitive football at this level. He worked hard, but his contribution was minimal. Not his fault, thats what happens when you go from Redditch United to 90mins in League 1 over a week.

And I thought Westwood had a good game, he made 3/4 superb interceptions and made one absolutely fantastic tackle from behind on Paul Mitchell when it looked as though Mitchell was through in the first half.

I just Westwood lacks a 'stopper' alongside him, which he did have at Hartlepool.

I agree, Stu, after a bright first five minutes, I didn't think Broad was in the game. Bennett was the liability in central defence today (and Wright when he went to full back).

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:02 pm

Oh, and, having seen him warming up, if Roper is overweight, Merson must be clinically obese.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:05 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:The level of anger and absolute disgust from that is high. very high. Zippy, ernest, percie, swallow your pride and realise the truth. Come on, you have to believe in us now, Bye Merson

Metfan

I think your judging me by your own standards. You may have picked an Anti-Merson stand point and stick by it no matter what the outcome of a game, week, set of results through out the season.

I've already said else where that games like today will get Merson the sack. I accept that and i'm pretty sure he'd agree. That kind of result and performance just isn't on. A few more like that and he'll be up the road.

It's got nothing to do with pride or stand points but i've seen enough at times this season to see hope, potential and the chance of us being in the right place come the end of the season.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:17 pm

Ernst, he certainly won't agree that he has to go after a few more performances today.

On WM, he actually thought we played okay today and said it'd have been a travesty had we not got a point.

And I'd agree with Neil, I was amazed when I saw Roper warming up. He is meant to be over-weight? He may not be match fit, but I don't believe he carries any more weight for his height than Smith or Merson.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:48 pm

Ernest Machill-Smith II wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:The level of anger and absolute disgust from that is high. very high. Zippy, ernest, percie, swallow your pride and realise the truth. Come on, you have to believe in us now, Bye Merson

Metfan

I think your judging me by your own standards. You may have picked an Anti-Merson stand point and stick by it no matter what the outcome of a game, week, set of results through out the season.

I've already said else where that games like today will get Merson the sack. I accept that and i'm pretty sure he'd agree. That kind of result and performance just isn't on. A few more like that and he'll be up the road.

It's got nothing to do with pride or stand points but i've seen enough at times this season to see hope, potential and the chance of us being in the right place come the end of the season.

Not really ernest, I really wanted merse to do well, he gave everyone a lot of optimism from the end of last season, and along with the squad we have assembled, however the chesterfield game did it for me, since then I have wanted him out, because to be honest, there is better managerial talent out there, and if you disagree with that, Thers no hope left for us all. Your a nice chap ernest dont get me wrong, i am merely pointing out that imho that we are absoltely disgusting at the moment.

London Saddler

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:11 pm

Pathetic, dreadful stuff by 2 terrible, absymal sides

Horrible day which was cold, rainy and then we had to endure a boring, rubbish game. U will b hard pressed to find a worse team than the Franchise this season (even with the dire quality of teams in this division). They were poor last season and will b there or there abouts in the relegation dogfight this season

Defensively as usual we were totally useless. Forget what Merse said after the game (as usual). The Franchise had loads of chances and only poor finishing stopped them getting at least 3-4 goals (what most teams manage comfortably against us). Our goalie again looked good at certain situations and shaky at others without inspiring any confidence. Westwood has been our most consistent player this season. i.e. consistently unbelievably crap. Forget Bennett's goal. At defending he looked like a schoolboy especially in the first half when he either ducked or misjudged high balls coming at hime putting our defense under unnecessary pressure. Fox tried but like the rest of the defense, spent the game hoofing the ball anywhere. The Franchise striker Mcleod was the best player on the pitch and had a field day, winning everything in the air, running at the defense and his brilliant turn and run(from half way line to box without a challenge in sight) led to their goal

In midfield Osborn was average. Broad was totally useless but its fair to point out that he was no worse than the equally totally useless Smith has been in the several games he has played. If Kinsella is not injured, it says a lot for what Merse thinks of him, that he preferred to bring back Broad from Redditch rather than consider him. Standing was anonymous when he came on, like he has been all season whenever he has played. As for Wright, words defy me how crap he was. The youngster on the left wing who we have on loan from Southhampton tried but looked totally bewildered and was totally out of his depth as u wud expect from a 3rd rate inexperienced reserve team player. Only when Ishmael went on the left wing in the 2nd half did the Franchise defence finally have to work hard

I have not criticised the forwards this season because i believe they have been the reason why we r not in the bottom 3. But today Fryatt had his worst game of the season. Everything he tried didnt come off and he missed the few sitters that came his way. It was apparent to everyone that to play Ishmael up front was a mistake as we spent the game hoofing the ball up to him which was totally ineffective. Larossa did nothing when he came on except dithering for 2 long on a potential one on one and in the end was tackled by a Franchise defender who got back. It says a lot for how good he is and what Merse thinks of him, that when Leito was injured, Merse preferred to put a 17 year old left winger with only 1 game behind him up front rather than play Larossa. Despite being poor, we still had, due to them being an absolutely awful team as well, a number of good chances and due to a mixture of good saves and garbage finishes we failed to put them away

One major thing that struck me about the game, is that we look such a small team. I wud say the Franachise won 90-95% of headers all over the pitch. Virtually every team is now outmuscling us every game. I found some of Danny Wilson's prematch comments on their site interesting when he said he has had us watched and whilst we play nice football, we have been outmuscled by physical teams. If u look at our side, we have virtually no height in defence, midfield nor attack. We have rarely had big teams but never can i remember such a small physically weak team as we have now. 2ndly despite this, our game plan consisted of long hoofed balls at our tiny strikers. Franchise came for a draw but then realised that they will not play an easier game this season and ran the show and by the end their fans were doing the oles as they stroked the ball around

I see we scarped 5000 despite the 2 for a tenner offer. I won't b long now till we start getting 4-4500 per game. The half time 'entertainment' consisted of bizarrely some blindfolded guy guided by his son trying to kick the ball into the net starting from the half way line. It was boring and ridiculous and all those around me were shouting that despite this, it was still better than the game and our players. I think that sums up today and the shambles our team and club is at the moment

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:08 pm

Mate, you ought to post more often if you are going to sum it up that well, as there is hardly a word I'd disagree with an a very long post. I did think Larossa was a little better than you suggest in that he looked interested and I'd excuse Ossie, as he was playing the midfield on his own (as usual), but the rest is spot on.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:27 pm

Stu wrote:And I thought Westwood had a good game, he made 3/4 superb interceptions and made one absolutely fantastic tackle from behind on Paul Mitchell when it looked as though Mitchell was through in the first half.

Couldn't agree with you more about Westwood. He is a quality player. People just like to get on his back because he does not make spectacular slide tackles etc, but what he does offer us is experience and a calming influence at the back who looks to play the ball simple, rather than hitting 60 yard passes (like Bennett often does).

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:36 pm

It's about time Bennett realised that his job isn't to hit 60 yard telegraphed passes that the full back can read all the way, but actually to defend properly. (Fox is catching the "spectacular pass" disease as well).

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:It's about time Bennett realised that his job isn't to hit 60 yard telegraphed passes that the full back can read all the way, but actually to defend properly. (Fox is catching the "spectacular pass" disease as well).

Fox is in a difficult situation due to the lack of (until about 25 mins from the end today) a proper left sided player to link up with down the line. This means that unless he has an easy option to play the ball inside (which he often hasn't), he is forced to hit the ball long. It will be interesting to see the potential partnership of Fox and Demontagnac forming, however it is more than likely that the 'tinkerman' will change the team, restricting any kind of understanding/partnerships to form between the players on the pitch.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:11 pm

Awful today and I have to agree with a lot of the comments made by various posters above. Even so, I think there are a number of unfair or OTT comments going around as well.

I didn't think MK Dons were as bad as some of you are making out, I think they'll trouble quite a few sides in this division, and with the pace and strength of the horrible Izale (wish we had him on our side tho') McLeod, we were always going to struggle - and I said so in the pre-match comments earlier this week. We are far too lightweight, and it's showing all the while lately, especially against Brentford and MKD. Incidentally, where were we when McLeod was available and MKD had no money, how come we missed out on him? Can't believe MKD persuaded him to sign for them last season. Apart from McLeod, they have a number of big strong players who are very positive in the challenge, and they covered our little powder-puff attack all too easily.

I fail to see how anyone could say we might have been 4 up at half-time - against Swansea yes, against Chesterfield yes, but today? No way! But at least we played second half as well today, which I thought was one plus amongst a whole load of minuses.

Fryatt? A million pounds? Well NO! So many bad passes today, and so many other times when he didn't see the pass that was on. And why does he try to pass TO our players - I mean straight AT 'em - don't we coach him to pass the ball into a players path, by which I mean ahead of the player, for him to run on to? Such a waste.

Demontagnac was excellent and the only player who looked capable of getting round the back of the Dons defence, he pulled back several superb balls into the 6 yard box, but our super-poacher was notably absent. Ishmel well deserved the MoM award for his efforts, and he was one of the few players on our side that didn't deserve to end up on a losing side.

Ozzie also tried hard but a lot of his better work went to waste. Our nearest to scoring in the first half was Ozzie's free-kick straight into the box that caught their keeper in two minds - excellent save from him tho'. Not surprisingly, a similar free-kick and similar execution did the trick 5 seconds from the end, so well done Ozzie and well done Bennett (except you probably saved Merse for another week or two - so not-so-well-done Ozzie and Bennett ! :D )

The comments about Roper appear no longer to apply. Last time I saw him he was warming-up at half-time in the Swindon game, and he looked like a beached-whale. So do I, but I'm 55 and work at a desk, what was his excuse? But today he looked like he was more or less at his fighting weight, so I'd be considering bringing him straight back now, to add some physical presence against these big tough League One sides. Physical presence is something we are and have been sadly lacking!

This was always going to be a tough game with Izale back, so I'll take the lucky draw and regard a point as satisfactory, especially with the relatively young and inexperienced side that we put out today.

We are certainly suffering with injuries, and it showed today, but I wouldn't use it as an excuse, because if we had a near-full squad to choose from, our leader would still struggle to put out his strongest side. Bound to, as he clearly still doesn't know what his best side is!

So, for me this was not our worst performance, MKD were NOT the poorest side we have faced this season, and before the game I would have taken the point. However, that in no way alters my opinion that Merson should go, and go NOW! It's long overdue, and I agree about the guy on WM who said give him 'til Xmas - NO WAY, the season will be over by then, give him 'til tomorrow, Monday at the latest!

As Stu said on the radio, and I agree with him, nice bloke, useless manager! JB, get rid!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:12 pm

He ain't a nice bloke Geoff, he comes across as one, must be a good actor.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:22 am

Dave Roe wrote:He ain't a nice bloke Geoff, he comes across as one, must be a good actor.

No Dave, I believe he IS a nice bloke, and I'm absolutely convinced that he's passionate about his job and about succeeding at Walsall FC.

Regrettably, being passionate ain't enough, you need to be able to manage, and he can't ! :twisted:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:14 am

Geoff, reserve judgement until you meet him, otherwise you are falling into the personality trap again, like the people who criticised Lee for boring press conferences, as if it matters. It doesn't matter a jot whether he's nice or Heinrich Himmler, it's results that matter and he's cack at the job

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:45 am

London Saddler wrote:One major thing that struck me about the game, is that we look such a small team. I wud say the Franachise won 90-95% of headers all over the pitch. Virtually every team is now outmuscling us every game. I found some of Danny Wilson's prematch comments on their site interesting when he said he has had us watched and whilst we play nice football, we have been outmuscled by physical teams. If u look at our side, we have virtually no height in defence, midfield nor attack.

Glad that was mentioned, I said similar to my old man before kick off.

You looked at them, and they had 4 players all 6ft +... I don't believe we had a single outplayer above 6ft, whilst Fryatt, Demontagnac, Gillett, Broad and Pead are all very small.

Merse is so desperate to stick to his "We'll pass our way out of this division" that he is cutting off his nose to spite his face and that will fortunately get him the sack.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:12 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Geoff, reserve judgement until you meet him, otherwise you are falling into the personality trap again, like the people who criticised Lee for boring press conferences, as if it matters. It doesn't matter a jot whether he's nice or Heinrich H
immler, it's results that matter and he's cack at the job

Neil,I'm not sure that personality is as irrelevant here as you claim.I think there must be a lot of fans who are backing him,or at least staying silent,because they don't want to be seen to be slagging off "a nice bloke."

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:15 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Geoff, reserve judgement until you meet him, otherwise you are falling into the personality trap again, like the people who criticised Lee for boring press conferences, as if it matters. It doesn't matter a jot whether he's nice or Heinrich H
immler, it's results that matter and he's cack at the job

Neil,I'm not sure that personality is as irrelevant here as you claim.I think there must be a lot of fans who are backing him,or at least staying silent,because they don't want to be seen to be slagging off "a nice bloke."

No, you're spot on. I'm just complaining that it shouldn't matter. The more people keep the "he's a nice man" line going, the harder it is for him to be got rid of.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:27 pm

I was just about to say that geoff. Just because most of us want Merson want out does it mean that he's more likely to go if you say that we should be beating the likes of MK?

In my opinion they were one of the best sides we've played this season and knocked the ball around brilliantly. In Platt and McLeod they have a good balanced partnership up front with pace trickery and somone who can hold the ball up...unlike us. They got tackles in in midfield but had creativity...unlike us. They were organised at the back...unlike us. Don't knock sides to try and make your Merson out argument stronger. They're not world beaters but they were better than us because they have a manager who knows what he's doing.

I can't be bothered to write about us because I've said it all before in recent weeks.

MERSON OUT.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:32 pm

London Saddler wrote:It was apparent to everyone that to play Ishmael up front was a mistake as we spent the game hoofing the ball up to him which was totally ineffective.

I agree with most of your post London but the problem wasn't playing him up front it was the fact that only the fans and worryingly not our captain or manager realised that it was a waste of time hoofing the ball up to Ishmel. What happened to fluent passing football Merson?

Ace

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:39 pm

If no other positives have come from the result, at least my arse has remained in tact :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:46 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:If no other positives have come from the result, at least my arse has remained in tact :D

I could make an obvious joke about wfc_2uk after that comment...but I won't. :wink: :lol:

ucow

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:18 pm

make no mistakes MK Dons are a poor side that wont be doing much in this division this season but we looked worse yesterday!

for there goal both bennett and westwood went for and missed mcloud leaving edds to score!

our defence was non existant our midfield was wofull and our attack was toothless! yet merse can come on the radio and tellytext and big up MK Dons! we are only going one way with merson in charge and thats down and putting the club bakc 15 years in the process back to teh early 90's when we were a basment division bottom half team!

but at least barbie girl is happy with the trip thats produced every week as she had a go at me mmf and jolly for chanting merson out during the second half!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:48 pm

Glad I never went to match yesterday, instead I wasted my money at the England game

ucow - I'll sit next to you at the next home game, Barbie girl can yell at me any time she wants as she pretty fit

MERSON OUT

ucow

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:02 pm

by the sounds of things though pedro she aint got much upstairs! i prefere my women to have an amount of intelectual nouse so you can at least have a decent conversation with them and not just to look good on the arm!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:18 pm

I don't think much of the bird on your arm in your avatar ucow. She's not much of a 'catch'...

Ric Flair

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:24 pm

Ucow

Nowt wrong with having a good looking woman on your arm. :D

ucow

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:28 pm

she was catching pretty well during the ashes series exile!!

rick no there isnt but when they are a thick as pig cack you have a problem! much preffer a plain jane myself with brains

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season