Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (away) 1st October 05

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Djinn

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:14 pm

1-0 Vale already. I'll go with the Sky Sports prediction !

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:15 pm

That goal coming from Chris Birchall

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:27 pm

1-1 (Collins og 24)

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:38 pm

2-1 Saddlers, Demontagnac with a great finish according to commentary

BTW, seems to be some confusion as to why Fryatt is not in the squad, maybe it's not an injury?

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:19 pm

2-2 Mulligan

Knackers

We'll lose this

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:37 pm

2-3. oh dear all seems to be going pear-shaped. Lot of criticism from commentary team of our defending & inability to clear balls.

Walsall Supporter

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:45 pm

why are we surprised............same old same old, can't defend for toffee!

dler

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:01 pm

Cue the happy clappers claiming Merson is the man, he'll get us promoted, give him time, yadda yadda yadda.

Get rid!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:07 pm

Very disappointed. But very expected. We have now lost from a winning position in 3 of the last 5 games. That tells us all we need to know about our 'manager'.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Djinn

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:09 pm

Another half-time lead flushed down the toilet, what a surprise !

Approaching Merson's "judge me after 15 games". A couple more defeats, starting with MKD should do the trick and remove the clown from office. Can't be soon enough !

I really am hoping for a really bad run of results. It's the only chance we have of getting a new manager in before the transfer window, and a possibility of making a claim for a playoff spot.

MERSON OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A REAL MANAGER IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:15 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:Port Vale 2 - 0 Walsall HT
Port Vale 3 - 2 Walsall FT

Not a bad prediction, go for a win next game AC you might just be a lucky charm.

Total and utter crap............

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:26 pm

Terrible result, and must be another nail in Merson's coffin, but tremendously pleased that Demontagnac got his debut, played very well by all accounts, forced the own goal and scored a good one of his own. We were told he was talented when he was signed into the youth squad, and quite a few on here have been saying how good he has been looking in reserve games - so great to see hime coming through. I'm sure we have the players, it seems to be organisation and motivation we lack...

Ace

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:28 pm

Biggles wrote:go for a win next game AC

No can do i'm afraid, because we won't get one 8)

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:44 pm

didnt go today for cash reasons, lucky for me I didnt. Losing is one thing, but constantly throwing away winning positions is becoming highly annoying, frustrating and boring.
Im now reaching a point where I dont particulary care.

Merson please, for the love of god, either admit to Bonser that you need some help so that we can have an assistant coach brought in to work on the teams organisation and defensive issues, or go before another season goes completely tits up.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Well was we surprised? NO. After taking the lead everything went pearshaped. I was impressed with Ishmael and Gillett but as for the rest they couldnt care.
When will Merson realise that Gerrard & Westwood cannot play together?
This is a stop start season abit like the last one and Im very quickly becoming bored of watching us win one,draw one then lose one before we go on another bad run!
By the way heard a rumour Merson had a falling out with Husbands before the game.

Anyway im at a mates in stoke and I aint going to let the failing bunch ruin my weekend.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Let's just stop messing about and finish this sad debacle now. No more, "oh well let's give him a few more games", "we could turn the corner soon".

Can some people not see the pattern here ? We play terrible, we go on a losing run, Merson drinks in the last chance saloon, we briefly turn it around and go on a little improved run, the happy clappers bleat on about giving the bloke another chance, two or three games later we're back in the terrible results.

There's only ONE way to stop this pattern. I'll let you decide yourselves what this action is.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:52 pm

Agree completely with you Derby, like you I couldn't sfford to go. I was going to go but when I checked the prices realised that it would cost over £35 to get me and 2 kids in. Add the petrol, programme, drinks etc. to that and you are talking over £50 for third division football!

Having heard the reports of the second half collapse (again) I am glad that I stayed at home. I only had to put up the texts from my Vale supporting mate taking great pleasure in our downfall.

How long have we got to put with the managerial disaster area that is Paul Merson?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:08 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:How long have we got to put with the managerial disaster area that is Paul Merson?

However long is left, it's going to be too long.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:Agree completely with you Derby, like you I couldn't sfford to go. I was going to go but when I checked the prices realised that it would cost over £35 to get me and 2 kids in. Add the petrol, programme, drinks etc. to that and you are talking over £50 for third division football!

Having heard the reports of the second half collapse (again) I am glad that I stayed at home. I only had to put up the texts from my Vale supporting mate taking great pleasure in our downfall.

How long have we got to put with the managerial disaster area that is Paul Merson?

Thats the thing Dave, its a lot of money with f**k all in return.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:45 pm

I thought it was avery good game and they won because they had two excellent loan players.

I know its bad,but we are not that far away from being very good- But far enough :shock:

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:06 pm

back from the vale,just thawing out it was cold
thought we were let down by the so called senior players.westwood had a mare,smith and ossie just didnt get going,
must remember that we started with two debutants and 5 teenagers and first half our pace murdered them.wright and standing will never make it as they wont get physical
normal second half,attack down the wings and we just collapsed again its got to be a complete lack of coaching ability from merson,staunton,kinsella.it seems that having played at the highest level with players of equal ability that they just cannot cope with coaching at a lower level,
so still from me MERSON OUT
PS message to jeff charge the vale fans what we paid £18.50 and £4 car parking.robbery

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:36 pm

back from the vale,just thawing out it was cold
thought we were let down by the so called senior players.westwood had a mare,smith and ossie just didnt get going,
must remember that we started with two debutants and 5 teenagers and first half our pace murdered them.wright and standing will never make it as they wont get physical
normal second half,attack down the wings and we just collapsed again its got to be a complete lack of coaching ability from merson,staunton,kinsella.it seems that having played at the highest level with players of equal ability that they just cannot cope with coaching at a lower level,
so still from me MERSON OUT
PS message to jeff charge the vale fans what we paid £18.50 and £4 car parking.robbery

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:46 pm

According to ST18_Saddler, who was in the Directors' area, Jeff Bonser stormed off in a rage before the end of the game, commenting to the effect that he had "seen enough of this rubbish" (haven't we all?) and he had to be placated by his wife before driving off in his 4x4.

At the very least, we can assume that Merson is going to get a bollocking and an ultimatum - most of us would prefer that he received his P45. :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Oh please, Leamore, let it be true. I want to enjoy my football again and be proud of the team, players & manager.

People say "Oh you're only moaning and being fickle becuase we're losing". That's bullcock. Remember our first season in the First Division (when we went down under Graydon) ? I remember going to Portman Road and being beaten by Ipswich to condemn us. Every player, bar none, had their name sang that day. We gave a loud rendition of "We're proud of you". We all saw that team fighting for each other, proud to wear the shirt. We saw a manager producing more than he strictly should get out of the limited resources available to him. We were being outclassed (which nobody likes) but we were going down FIGHTING.

Compare that to now where we have a bunch of players that should be equal, if not superior, to most other teams in this division. Yet they lack motivation, direction and belief. They are like eleven individuals that have never met. Who's job is it to put all these problems right ? Who is failing to get anywhere near this ?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:According to ST18_Saddler, who was in the Directors' area, Jeff Bonser stormed off in a rage before the end of the game, commenting to the effect that he had "seen enough of this rubbish" (haven't we all?) and he had to be placated by his wife before driving off in his 4x4.

At the very least, we can assume that Merson is going to get a bollocking and an ultimatum - most of us would prefer that he received his P45. :D

This must be a wind-up surely Leamore. Bonser has seen so much rubbish over the years he is surely immune to its effects. If he was upset by rubbish why did he not sack Merson last year after some truly dreadful performances. I rather think that Bonser must actually like rubbish, why else would he have appointed Paul Merson as manager.

The number of fans from both teams who left before the end amazed me. The result was in doubt until about 40 seconds before the final whistle. We might have snatched an undeserved point, and we were certainly giving it everything in the last ten minutes.

Walsall have played a lot worse this season and won. We were well beaten by a pretty good Port Vale team. We certainly played better today than on Tuesday, or at Rotherham or against Forest. Of course the result matters more than the performance so I am not happy, but we are certainly a lot better than we were this time last season.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:30 pm

No wind-up, I assure you.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:55 am

Dave Roe wrote:Oh please, Leamore, let it be true. I want to enjoy my football again and be proud of the team, players & manager.

People say "Oh you're only moaning and being fickle becuase we're losing". That's bullcock. Remember our first season in the First Division (when we went down under Graydon) ? I remember going to Portman Road and being beaten by Ipswich to condemn us. Every player, bar none, had their name sang that day. We gave a loud rendition of "We're proud of you". We all saw that team fighting for each other, proud to wear the shirt. We saw a manager producing more than he strictly should get out of the limited resources available to him. We were being outclassed (which nobody likes) but we were going down FIGHTING.

Compare that to now where we have a bunch of players that should be equal, if not superior, to most other teams in this division. Yet they lack motivation, direction and belief. They are like eleven individuals that have never met. Who's job is it to put all these problems right ? Who is failing to get anywhere near this ?

Dave spot on mate,all as I want is to see us 1-0 up at h/t and go on to win 3-0,not lose 3-1,because some idiot makes has made changes not called for.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:54 am

What winds me up the most is folk saying Merse can't be blamed for the little individual mistakes.

True, he may not be making them, but he is the one continually training them every week and he is the one picking them every week. It is his responsibility to coach them and if he can't get through to them, than this a shortcoming on his part. If he is going to pick them every week after all their mistakes, then that is his fault.

Although, biggest gripe was hearing him say that he thinks some of these players "don't hurt" when we lose. He said this at exactly this time last season and said he'd get in his players who did care. Is he now saying that all of his players don't care either and that he was wasted his entire budget?

Its like a repeat of last season all over again, same mistakes, same problems and same comments from the manager.

And let's be honest here, we were probably lucky to be 2-1 up at half time. Apart from that header that hit the bar, that I thought looked like it went over the line, they must have had 3/4 that went pretty much straight across the 6 yard box and just needed a gust of wind to blow it in.

I really struggle to remember a team with as much talent that was such a defensive shambles. 20 goals in 12 matches says it all.

Acuman

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:52 am

At the start of the season I would have accepted been 3 points off the play off positions after 12 games. However we are there because of the tightness of the league, I have seen no outstanding teams yet. At the end of the day we are better than we are showing, we have so many youngsters the future may be bright, but the present is uncertain we can only develop the future of WFC by looking after the here and now. The here and now at present also says 3 points of relegation, totally unacceptable with this squad.
Something has got to change, whether it is the manager, the team to play with passion and desire
perhaps Merse needs to phone a friend......ask his Mate George Graham to sort a defence!!
Staunton in todays Mercury says he has been coaching the defence!!!! god help us if this is the result.
Dave...total agree with your post

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:28 pm

I see the Franchise won yesterday as well. 2 wins on the bounce for them now, sets it up nicely for an interesting encounter on Saturday!!!!

I agree with Stu, and have said it for a long time now. Merson is like a broken record full of contradictions. He makes the same statements but does nothing about it. I saw the goals on the Chamionship this morning. Jeez me, they were cringe worthy. Same old story I have to say. Mistakes will be made, fine I have no qualms about that, but blimey it is how you learn from them that shows progression. Like someone else has said we are stuck in a permanent groundhog day, and my faith in Merson to take us out of this has all but diminished. :evil:

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season