Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (Home) Tuesday 27th September 05

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Djinn

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:53 am

The game was utter dross, and I don't know how anyone can even look for positives from this game. Fair enough, Ruddy made a couple of good saves and the back four looked solid enough. We were completely clueless in the middle of the park, and punchless up front. As has already been said, Brentford are not a good side, effective maybe but not good. We didn't create a single goal scoring opportunity in a home game against a not very good side. That simply is not good enough, in fact it's shocking. Frankly, I'm disgusted with the performance last night. The lads were dire !

Highlight of the evening, the chips on the way to the ground and watching some little asian dear plough her Mercedes into the side of some guys Fiat Punto. He was pissed to say the least.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:26 am

How many of us would have settled for 4 points from our last 2 games

We are moving in the right direction .To quote paul merson ;This is the type of game we would
have lost last season;
Our next two fixtures are winable.

up the saddlers :D

Duke Wayne

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:41 am

Good point Mr Dean a win at vale would make last night a great result on the balance of things

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:42 am

And there in lies your problem. The next two matches very are winnable, espeically if you want to establish yourself as a top 6 side.

With our only consistency being our inconsistency, then the good 4 point return from the next two matches would well be wasted over the next two. Hopefully we'll get another 4 pt return from the next two though and keep building.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:58 am

We are steadily improving and building stu.
This league is already tight everybody beating each other.
Around christmas or early new year some team will hit a purpil patch and pull away
Lets hope its the super saddlers.

Djinn

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:10 am

Sorry, but I still can't take positives from last night. The game was completely devoid of any quality in every area of the pitch. As far as entertainment goes, which is why I go, it was a complete waste of £32. I've recently been made redundant, and I'm not sure I can justify spending my weekly jobseekers allowance (£56.20 .....whoaaa!!) on watching such inept performances as have been dished out down the bescot recently.

NB. If any one knows of any suitable jobs for a part qualified sys admin/hardware techie, please let me know. I'm MCP, MCDST & MCSA. Two exams shy of my MCSE, but should be there in a couple of months. I'm not sure how many UTS members are in the IT field, but is it me or are there very few jobs on offer in the market at the moment? I recently went for an interview for a position with the Transport & General Workers Union, and there were over 100 applicants for the job.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:22 am

I.T. market is dead at the moment. I work for a major blue chip company and we've just laid off nearly 10% of our department.

If you want I.T, go out to Australia and get a special skilled visa, they're crying out for them.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:48 am

I agree with Djinn, how anyone can take any real positives out of that game is beyond me. We are so laboured and predictable in midfield it's untrue. By the time we collect the ball from defence, pass it around amongs ourselves and eventually hoof it forward in the general vincinity of our forward line the opposition have got every man and their dog back defending.

Smith was basically useless again, if you totalled up all the passes he made last night they wouldn't come to more than about 20 foot.

Bennett wide left ? Which tactical magician thought that one up ? Like a fish out of water (which ain't really suprising to most of us).

Anybody still tipping us for promotion ? If the answers yes then I seriously suggest you have your head looked at by a qualified physician.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:18 pm

Dave Roe wrote:Smith was basically useless again, if you totalled up all the passes he made last night they wouldn't come to more than about 20 foot.

Bennett wide left ? Which tactical magician thought that one up ? Like a fish out of water (which ain't really suprising to most of us).

I was told Smith and Ossie had 'okay' games last night, although it was pointed out that the ball spent most of its time bypassing them in the air. Smith was one of the better players at Scunny, so I'm hoping we're seeing a return to fitness and form for him.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:30 pm

I think the point that sticks with me is something Merson said before the game. He said that this game would be a show of how we have improved. Well a 0-0 draw at HOME against Brentford might be an improvement from last season, but it shows that instead of looking like potential relegation contenders, we are looking more mid-table mediocrity. To me that is not good enough. 2 points dropped here and against Southend, defeats against Swansea and Chesterfield. Our home form is in danger of becoming a joke, and is holding us back. I thought the game livened up in the second half, but not due to any football from either side, more due to an inept performance from the referee. Dire game, and one best forgotten. Three 3 points on Saturday may make this result look good, but I can't help feeling we will rue these and any future mishaps at Bescot. :?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:34 pm

I thought the most entertaining part of the game was watching Mad Dog and his antics. That bloke really needs a chill pill. He makes Warnock look like a laid back Sven.

He should have been sent to the stands the amount of times he walked on the pitch. Did anyone else see the time he walked straight over to our dugout and started mouthing off ? The 4th officail was stood behind him having a dicky fit. How about calling the ref over and having the mental case sent off ?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:56 pm

Football is not all about free flowing attacking play.Some games are about rolling your sleeves
up,heads down,battling and hard work. This more often than not is due to opposition tactics.
Brentford came to bescot last night with one game plan only stop walsall playing football.
Supporters have complained about passion and commitment on this forum surely you can all see
the vast improvement in thoose areas last night . Overall we are moving the right direction .

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:02 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Football is not all about free flowing attacking play.Some games are about rolling your sleeves
up,heads down,battling and hard work. This more often than not is due to opposition tactics.
Brentford came to bescot last night with one game plan only stop walsall playing football.
Supporters have complained about passion and commitment on this forum surely you can all see
the vast improvement in thoose areas last night . Overall we are moving the right direction .

Agreed DAVEDEAN!

btw, who's that on yer avatar? :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:04 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Football is not all about free flowing attacking play.Some games are about rolling your sleeves

Like you said, it's all a matter of opinion and I called it as I saw it. We did not have a real shot on anger on target and were indebted to an on loan keeper for a point. The first half was turgid and we played with no pace and urgency. The only way to beat their tactics was to go around the back and we just weren't capable.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:06 pm

I think most people have commended the team on not being out-muscled (as happened last year). You're right of course that passion and commitment are important. BUT:
a) if I want 'sleeves rolled up, battling footie' I'll watch a pub side on a Sunday. I expect a little more quality for my £13.
b) unless we want to mould our team to become like Brentford (and I certainly don't), we must try to find a way to out-play and out-smart teams with such an obvious game plan. That's how Premiership outfits avoid 'banana skins' in the cup against semi-pro sides whose game plan is to kick seven bells out of any quality that comes their way. We knew what Brentford would try and do last night (and so did Merse), but effectively we couldn't stop them doing it. Now, when we get that bit right.... :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:23 pm

KJC Asks

btw, who's that on yer avatar? :wink:[/quote]

My Misses (i wished) its Holly Valance gorgeous or what

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:38 pm

King Crimson wrote

I think most people have commended the team on not being out-muscled (as happened last year). You're right of course that passion and commitment are important. BUT:
a) if I want 'sleeves rolled up, battling footie' I'll watch a pub side on a Sunday. I expect a little more quality for my £13.
b) unless we want to mould our team to become like Brentford (and I certainly don't), we must try to find a way to out-play and out-smart teams with such an obvious game plan. That's how Premiership outfits avoid 'banana skins' in the cup against semi-pro sides whose game plan is to kick seven bells out of any quality that comes their way. We knew what Brentford would try and do last night (and so did Merse), but effectively we couldn't stop them doing it. Now, when we get that bit right.... :wink:[/quote]

a) Pub football is not my cup of tea either and watching brentford week in week out is a none starter.
b) Excellent piont clearly there are still areas merse and the team need to work on.

But i really feel we are improving

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:54 pm

Agreed. :D
I wouldn't want to watch Brentford (in any division) every week. We are improving in terms of our resilience. Possibly this improvement can be charted back to Bournemouth away (the 10 men held firm) when the Westwood/Gerrard partnership seemed to become our first choice centre-half pairing.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:08 pm

Another excellent point kc

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season