Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe (away 24/09)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:36 pm

Good team selection from Merson today.

Very impressed.

Another sign that he's going to make a good manager

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:37 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:The match report is on the front page, directly from the Fat Controller at the ground. Key was keeping it tight in midfield with Smith (yes, Smith) having a good game and Ossie absolutely magnificent.
i shall have to start going to away games because i have never seen ossie play 'fairly well' let alone magnificently :lol:

toffo
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:45 pm

Great win...now where is AC and that cactus :lol: :shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:51 pm

Craig Pead misses the Brentford game after getting 5 bookings - could make the team selection very interesting.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Brilliant result. Well done the lads! I usually predict an Ossie goal. I didn't for today and he goes and gets two. Pleased too for Paul Smith. I thought he looked good against Chesterfield last week (well, as good as anyone looked last week!). Look forward to some match reports from those at the game, and to seeing the goals on the box.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:22 pm

yeah AC, where are you and your cactus???

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Ernest Machill-Smith II wrote:Good team selection from Merson today.

Very impressed.

How do you know? You weren't there and neither was I! Great result, no doubt. I think we should all wait for more detail before suggesting this was a result born from a managerial masterstroke. Report says Ossie played great, and Smith did well. No mention of the role played by our player-manager on the pitch, or how we shaped up.

I don't mean to sound churlish Ernest, but don't use a result to your own ends unless there is evidence to support it. It has been known for good results to occur in spite of selection decisions, not only because of them. Similarly, we have all looked at team sheets and thought 'Brilliant' and it hasn't worked. This applies to Graydon, Lee, Wenger, Ferguson, Clough...

If we clicked as a team and looked the business, fair play. One defeat didn't make Merson a failure, one victory doesn't make him a genius.
Last edited by King Crimson on Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:29 pm

Eventually a thoroughly deserved win but thought that we were going to blow it when they came back to 1-1. At that point it didnt look like we were playing 10 men, but Husbands coming on and having 2 up front , instead of just Fryatt made the difference.Being able to counter-attack with pace could have meant us scoring more. An absolutely superb goal by Ossie- if it happened in the premiership it would get shown time & time again. Thought that gave him the confidence for his second. Capped a fine performance by him.
Shame that Jorge was injured in the penalty incident as it is a while since I've seen him go on such a forceful run as he had done a few minutes earlier. Listening to Radio Humberside there are a lot of unhappy Scunny bunnies, who were very unhappy with ref. Looked like Jorge had his leg taken away but it was a long way away and thought Ossie committed a bad foul, but obviously the Scunthorpe player did something because of the way that Ossie tried to get at him. Good job someone dragged him away. otherwisw they both would have been off.
First time I've seen Husbands- impressed ( though he should have scored)
Superb curling effort from Fryatt that would have rivalled Ossie's if Musselwhite hadnt pulled off a tremendous save.
Only real negative for me was the new goalkeeper. I know that he didnt have to make a proper save but he seemed completely lacking in confidence with crosses. He punched one he might have caught , but apart from that he seemed rooted to his line. On another day I think he would have been punished. Was Gilmartin poor last Sat? what has Darren Coleman done wrong? Perhaps he'll improve but he worried me.
Players not in team were sat in front of us- Michael Standing easily the most animated throughout and totally delighted by Ossie's goals. Thought Roper had lost weight though they did seem all to be sharing chips at half time.
Still an excellent day out. More of the same please when we go to Huddersfield!

ps thought it was odd that the substitutes had to warm up by themselves before game- never seen that before. Also Merson seemed to do proper warm up as well!

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:51 pm

[quote="wednesbury Saddler METFAN"]yeah AC, where are you and your cactus???[/quote]

Let me know wene this is going to happen,How about a fiver admission,this could help pay for AC,s medical expenses. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wton_saddler

Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:54 pm

How many Saddlers fans you reckon there Hull?

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:01 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Very impressed.

How do you know? You weren't there and neither was I! Great result, no doubt. I think we should all wait for more detail before suggesting this was a result born from a managerial masterstroke. Report says Ossie played great, and Smith did well. No mention of the role played by our player-manager on the pitch, or how we shaped up.

I don't mean to sound churlish Ernest, but don't use a result to your own ends unless there is evidence to support it. It has been known for good results to occur in spite of selection decisions, not only because of them. Similarly, we have all looked at team sheets and thought 'Brilliant' and it hasn't worked. This applies to Graydon, Lee, Wenger, Ferguson, Clough...

If we clicked as a team and looked the business, fair play. One defeat didn't make Merson a failure, one victory doesn't make him a genius.

Listen up Kinga because i'll only say this once.

Paul Merson has today rectified a problem. At 1-1 the game could have gone one of two ways. Thanks to the work that he, the coaches and the players have put in it didn't slip away from us.

Give him the credit instead of picking holes with my posts.

Ern

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:02 pm

Wton saddler- difficult to say - we were in the 2 central sections . 250-300 ? But I've never been good at estimating other than Franchise FC's away support. Thought we made a reasonable noise in support.
Was at a Hull City game against Stoke a week or so ago , and hate to say it but a very small number of Stoke fans made an enormous noise.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:07 pm

[quote="wton_saddler"]Look forward to the posts tonight. Fair play, 3-1 at Scunny is good result for PM - tactics must have been spot on today. Often it is harder to play against 10 men than 11 (as we know!). Why O why can't we get it right every week??!!![/quote]

To true W'ton Saddler it is harder to play against 10 men mainly because the 10 men up there work rate'and the 11 men down there,s as they are only playing against 10 men,very good result today,but it may have half expected after last weeks display.let's hope it's not a flash in the pan if Merse does make sure of this then were on our way up,and it won't be long b4 we find out will it. Just may-be the Chesterfield match may have a blessing in disguise.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:12 pm

Ernest Machill-Smith II wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Very impressed.

Listen up Kinga because i'll only say this once.

Paul Merson has today rectified a problem. At 1-1 the game could have gone one of two ways. Thanks to the work that he, the coaches and the players have put in it didn't slip away from us.

Give him the credit instead of picking holes with my posts.

Ern

Looks like Ossie rolled up his sleeves and rectified the problem. Blame the players, credit the players. When we lose, it can't be their fault and when we win the manager's result. You can't have it both ways.

As I say, I wasn't there, and neither were you. I am happy to give credit where its due. I comment on selection and performance of games I actually attend. Like Yeovil. I think that's only fair. You appear not to be so constrained, Ern. :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:06 pm

Ernest, you talk the biggest load of tripe I've ever heard, even more than my friend Sheff sometimes.

We won today despite Merson, not because of him. I had two mates with me today, one was a Pompey fan and another was a Rushden fan. Their consensus was that we kicked off with 10 men as Merson was an absolute waste of space.

I haven't got a clue what formation we kicked off with, I think it was 4-4-1-1 with Leitao on right wing, but Merson had freedom to go wherever he wanted and leave Fryatt exposed.

Fortunately Scunthorpe had a complete lack of cutting edge, they had no width and no idea how to carve us open.

Mark my words, today was not a good performance, it was a good last half hour playing against 10 men. Bar our penalty, I don't remember a single chance of note in the first hour of the match from us.

I say it again, get Merson out the bleedin team and let's get some stability.

On a positive note, Smith had a decent game today with some real crunching tackles. Still looked a tad short of fitness but gave a decent performance.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:19 pm

Well said Stu

Cannot understand why he brought Mark Wright on when Jorhe went off injured. Husbands had a great game when he came on and scared their defence with his pace

Hednesfordred

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:26 pm

Great result from a very enjoyable day out. I thought that although he sending off was totally the right decision, maybe scunny were trying to even up the numbers, coz merson did virtually nothing all game except put 2 fingers up to the travelling faithfull when one of his many poor passes was roundly booed.
Osborne was absolutely magnificent (if a little fortunate to stay on the pitch). Smith had his best game since joining, and i thought fryatt played a much more positive role today than any other away game (and before anyone criticises i have been to every one of them).
I just wish we could give the side the support at home that they get away.

Up the saddlers

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:44 pm

Well that wasnt meant to happen was it?
A 3-1 win away from home, Smith played well and ozzie scored 2 (one clear contender for goal of the season).
I was quite pleased with how we performed today, we seemed more defensive once we took the lead which is something we havent done all season. Westwood and Gerrard got caught out of position a couple of times but because there strikers couldnt score the game stayed in Walsalls favour. Husbands played well when he came on and sso did Wrighty. Matty Fryatt was well off the boil again today. Paul Smith actually looks like he can be bothered for once. As for Ozzie, what a game he had. Kept the attacking midfielders out with some great tackles and capped it off with two cracking goals. Dont know if he should have been still on the pitch didnt see the incident I was in the loo.

Mr Merson, when I pay £28 to travel and watch the game I dont expect the manager of my club stick his two fingers up at the loyal travelling support. There were kids around me and turned to their parents and asked what he ahd done, is this the role to set our "fans for the future"? OK the fans booed when you did a terrible pass but for the money your on you deserve criticism for a pass like that. Mr Merson you ended a good day with such an idiotic gesture. You are a fool my friend and not a model for our younger fans to look up to. There were fans behind the goal that booed every touch Merse had after that, I will be complaining to the club.

Otherwise a very good day, lovely weather and great result.

Hednesfordred

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:50 pm

agree totall with WFC_2UK apart from the comment about Fryatt. I think that he has played poorly this season despite the goals, however i thought he was much improved today. He held the ball up a lot better which enabled Wright & Husbands, and particularly Ossie to get forward in the 2nd half.

I was surprised by Mersons gesture coz it was the only time he took his hands off his hips during the 90 minutes :lol:

Up the Saddlers

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:56 pm

The days got even better I won doffers competition! :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:07 pm

Many thanks for the match reports, all who went. Sounds like an entertaining afternoon! Sorry I couldn't be there.

wton_saddler

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:12 pm

Just fancied being the 105th post on this thread, the most for a match this season. Is this result a turning point for us? I have to say I have serious concerns about PM's reaction to our loyal fans, as per Wfc_2uk, I would be seriously pi**ed off with that!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:15 pm

When did Merse give the fans the finger? Not saying he didn't, just that I didn't see that at any stage and nor did I see any sort of reaction from any fans around us to say anything like that happened.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Congrats to the whole team on going and getting that win - much needed, much appreciated by me!

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:09 pm

I saw Merson give our fans the finger. It was just after an attack where he had given the ball away.

Tony Obi

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:31 pm

this v sign is a worrying change in the way merson seems to view the fans , which for me has always been one of his strongest suits .

has really taken the edge of an excellent win , well that and the fact he played himself , seems a big backward step , especially away from home when the defensive side of the midfielder is especially important .

oh well , 3 points on tues and into the play off spots we go , but like most i just cant see merson here for longer than this season

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:31 pm

Great win. Great feedback from those that were there. However, the feeling for me remains that somehow today's victory was in spite of our manager, not because of him. Even Paul Franks on WM said the victory was "papering over the cracks".

The question for me is this: If Merson can so misjudge what he can offer us as a player [and I say not much anymore] then how can we trust him to make accurate judgements and assessments about the players, the postions they play, appropriate tactics, formations etc. ?

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:54 pm

Wow, what a great manager Merse is

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:44 pm

Merse,s finger answer if true,just go's to show that he read's this forum, after last weeks display.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Craig Pead misses the Brentford game after getting 5 bookings - could make the team selection very interesting.

Wrong pal if that was his 5th caution it will be in two weeks time that the ban starts, its only a sending off that you miss your next game.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season