Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield predictions

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1

What do you think?

Saddlers win
65%
Draw
3%
Chesterfield win
32%

Total votes : 34
Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Chesterfield predictions

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:03 pm

what you guys think about next game

zlaty

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:09 pm

0-0 ever the optimist att:4756

saddler383

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:42 pm

i think 3-1 to walsall - ( fryatt,westwood & taylor ) attendence of : 5371 BEST OF LUCK WALSALL !!!!!

jeffsmate 1

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:58 pm

3-0 walsall, chesterfield to feel the backlash.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:32 pm

1-0 Walsall Leitao with the goal

toffo
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 pm

They'll win this one for darren.
2-0.
Home debut goal for Husbands.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Be nice if someone scores and they grab Wrackys shirt in the celebrations. Sommert like what happened at Chelsea that time. If I remember rightly. I don't do Premiership.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:29 am

I've actually gone for a Chesterfield win. They'll be big and ugly and kick us off the park, and I just don't think we have the balls to fight in a match.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:00 am

Referee for this match is Tony Bates from Staffordshire, who most notably officiated our famous 4-1 home victory over the Baggies! 8)

Mind, he's ref'd us a few times since... the only loss being the debacle that was our League Cup defeat at Wendy (where we fielded the kids). :cry:

Ace

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:06 am

Walsall 2 - 3 Chesterfield.

Walsall will go into half time 2-1 up thanks to a Fryatt penalty (as always) and a headed corner from Westwood. Chesterfield will sneak one back just before the whistle, due to lack of concentration.

Second half will be one of the longest ever, with dreadful play leading to a goal conceeded on the hour mark and as heads drop Chesterfield will dominate leading to a third with 5 minutes to go. The first glimpses of Merson out chants form.

toffo
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:12 am

AC - ever the optomist.
we will win this one despite the best efforts of tactical genius Merse, our boys will be up for it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:37 am

I think we'll scrape a win but Paul Hall will have his best game for Chesterfield so far and cause us problems. If we don't the slide will start with Scunthorpe and Brentford coming up.

ucow

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm

we need to begg borrow or steal a victory this weekend! hopefully the lads will be pumped up for this game after the no-show in the second half at yovil and a good win for wrack as well me thinks a tight game but witht he saddlers coming out on top with a 3-1 win with 2 goals in the last 10 minites.

Will
UTS Regular

2-1 to Walsall

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:55 pm

I think 2-1 to Walsall.

We'll completely dominate the first half but without getting many actual scoring chances. Fryatt will tap one in from 2 yards after a defensive error and Westwood will get a headed goal from a corner.

Chesterfield will pull one back after 46 minutes and we'll be muscled off the ball all the way through the second half and just about escape with the three points.

Pretty much like all of our other wins this season then.

aldridge sadler

chesterfield predictions

Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:55 pm

A COMFORTABLE HOME WIN WHAT ELSE

MM

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:34 pm

I predict another dull tedious affair watched by 5033 fans. Hope Chesterfield bring more than the 84 ( yes eighty four)Millwall took to Wolves.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:24 am

Match preview now on front page.

Lanzarote Saddler

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:01 pm

2-0 Fryatt (2)

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Time for Merson to go, don't you think?

We've witnessed, three times, diabolical collaspes by the team, after being in front. No excuses, no arguments, it's simply not acceptable.

We have the players, no question. We need a manager that can make them play...Merson can't.
He's had more than enough time to turn things around..

I'm very upset right now and I don't want us to keep losing games, but if that the only way we can get rid of this excuse for a manager, here's to more defeats!!!!!

Walsall Supporter

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:29 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:Walsall 2 - 3 Chesterfield.

Walsall will go into half time 2-1 up thanks to a Fryatt penalty (as always) and a headed corner from Westwood. Chesterfield will sneak one back just before the whistle, due to lack of concentration.

Second half will be one of the longest ever, with dreadful play leading to a goal conceeded on the hour mark and as heads drop Chesterfield will dominate leading to a third with 5 minutes to go. The first glimpses of Merson out chants form.

Mystic MEG!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:50 pm

Well - I said a clean slate before the season started for Merse - I have seen enough now to say goodbye - thanks for trying, but just not good enough. The players at this club are better than this - I don't care that some are a bit over the hill, there is enough youth to go with the older players. Give someone with a bit of tactical nous the chance to mould these players before the season gets beyond us. Merse must hold his hands up and say enough is enough... or Mr B should do it for him.

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:07 pm

I would like to hear the half time team talk after going in 2-0

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:14 pm

Merse reckons the players lost concentration and he "could see it coming" as they were "laughing and joking" in the dressing room at half time.

Shame he didn't do anything about it then, like put a fudge rocket up their arse and impose a bit of discipline at half time.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:26 pm

Concentration my ar$e! The problem was that our very own tinkerman couldn't leave a winning team alone. He HAD to switch Standing and Wright, didn't he? He did this for the sole reason that he fancied a kick-about. If anyone was complacent and thought the game was won, it was our manager. Worst player in a red shirt this afternoon? P.Merson (10) bar none.

I have NEVER called for him to go before today. We need a manager who can manage. That means seeing what is obvious, keeping things simple, and not allowing us to be 'found out' by opposing managers as happened today and last week. We simply have no 'Plan B'.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:30 pm

Can AC do the match previews in future?

That was as completely, utterly inept a managerial performance as you'll ever see.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:31 pm

In his post-match interview, he also seemed to be aiming some of the criticism reagrding a lack of concentration at Daniel Fox, which in my opinion was very harsh.
People can blame the central defenders as all 3 goals came from crosses, but Wayne Allison will cause any defenders problems with his height and strength. The problems came as the crosses were not prevented from coming in in the first place. Mark Wright had a clear oppertunity to clear the ball before the third goal - he didn't - we got no points from the game. It's as simple as that.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:41 pm

Match report is now in line, by the way.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:47 pm

Rob, if your saying the goals came from crosses that we shouldn't have allowed them to get in, then surely Merson is right to criticise Fox? After all, Fox is a full back.

However, its hard to criticise the lad when he had a fat 37 year old useless lazy player, sorry, I meant our manager, in front of him for protection.

However I have to dis-agree entirely on Wayne Allison. If the bloke caused all defences problems with his height and strength, then he'd be playing every week for them. He is a 37 year old bloke, not a young energetic lad.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Diabolical, disgusting, disgraceful, dreadful - I've had enough.

How much more embarrassment do we have to put up with before this inept lunatic does the decent think and goes.

Standing off, Merson on - WHAT ? Wright off, OK not doing too well at the time but at least he has youth and pace on his side and had scored earlier through those features, and Smith stays on ????????

Fryatt off - also not doing too well but getting NO service - remember he HAD set up both goals - and on comes Husbands. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Husbands was left sided and quick, might that not have been an asset on the pitch that could have provided Fryatt with a chance or two?????

So many things went tits up after half-time, it's hard to get my head around it! But I can't see me being at the next home game, the embarrassment has become too great. I have NEVER said anything like that before in my life, but, season ticket holder or not, I have better things to do with my Saturday afternoons than watch this load of under-achievers, led by a loonie that hasn't a clue what he's doing.

I'd say he's lost it, but I'm thinking he never had it to lose!

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:56 pm

didnt hear him as i would have thrown the radio thro the window.
laughing and joking?
wheres this so called experience from senior players?
staunton100+ international caps?
kinsella loadsof caps and played superbly whan tha albion went back to the premiership
osborne senior pro and coach
paul ( will improve the team 100%) smith veteran of countless championship matches
westwood great leader in this division
jorge(fall over and look as tho im interested )leitao

all CRAP AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO TAKE THER WAGES
only the youngsters can be excused and thought fox gerrard pead gilmartin did little wrong
but as for mark wright give him a jacket and let him park the cars as he will never make it
standing yes he should be in a dole queue
we can all see it why cant the directors?
MERSON OUT

Next
Return to 2005-06 Season