Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town- Sat 3rd Sept (h)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:22 pm

Well after the dismal 5 goals against Swansea we have come back with 2 clean sheets, no coincidence that the clean sheets have come with Gerrard in the team.

I thought we were OK today, Pead MOTM by far, Ozzie played well so did westie & Oakes. Thought the poor players on the pitch today were standing and Taylor but I aint moaning a wins a win.

England & Walsall 1 Wales & Swindon 0

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:26 pm

r_a_perks wrote:quite suprised Mersons started???

I can only hope it's part of a re-shuffle. When Fox is fit, K Taylor back into midfield, Merse back on the touchline.

Good result today. Thought the sponsors got it right today for MOTM. Pead was excellent in my opinion. Thought Gerrard and Westwood looked comfortable, K taylor did a job (felt sorry for him when he got a bit of stick. He's NOT a left back!). Jorge worked hard to win everything, Osborn's range of passing and his organisational qualities confirm his importance to the team again. Fryatt played intelligent football at times, but I think the strikers sometimes need to be a little closer to each other.

Other players did o.k. I felt no one had a 'stinker'.

As for Swindon fans. their team underperformed, no goals to cheer, no points from the game, a three hour round trip and they miss the England game! There's always someone worse off than yourself! :)

Oh, and Forest lose again. :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:04 pm

I thought we were really rather fortunate to win, if Swindon "under-performed" as KC has described it, then so did we - big-style.

For me, no-one really came out with massive credit today, I'll be kind and call them "steady", though Jorge (work-rate), Pead, Gerrard and Westwood (clean sheet) did quite well.

Kris Taylor did cop some stick, and yes I agree he is no left-back, but wherever you are asked to play, passing to your own players should be a basic ability, and too often he hadn't got it. Not on his own with that problem though!

Oakes deserves credit for keeping us in it once or twice, but that was cancelled out to some extent by a couple of shaky moments that left me on the very edge of my seat.

Merson, well, please Merse, stick to managing, or at the very least limit yourself to 45 minutes. Osborn was pretty good but is so much more effective when Merson isn't around to confuse everyone else.

Wrack, a couple of decent moments, hard luck with the header off the foot of the far post from a superb cross (from Kris Taylor?). Some will say Wracky really should have buried it - I suppose I'm probably one of them, but at least HE got there while the striker(s) didn't!

Referee - well I've not said much about them this season - but today's was dire at times. The penalty for Fryatt, caught on his ankle as he jumped 3 feet off the ground in an attempt to avoid the challenge, and the Ref. waved play on!! What was that all about? Nailed-on cast-iron dead-cert penalty that was, even though we couldn't claim to have deserved it! Add to that the Swindon guy yellow-carded first half, went on to commit blatant dissent AND several more bad challenges, why did he only keep lecturing him, had he left the red card behind in the dressing-room today?

All in all, unimpressed, but at least we won while playing poorly, and we moved up to a rather false/flattering sixth position. In the circumstances, I guess I'll take that. :D

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:10 pm

Good post Geoff, can't really add much to that.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:44 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I thought we were really rather fortunate to win, if Swindon "under-performed" as KC has described it, then so did we - big-style.

For me, no-one really came out with massive credit today, I'll be kind and call them "steady", though Jorge (work-rate), Pead, Gerrard and Westwood (clean sheet) did quite well.

Kris Taylor did cop some stick, and yes I agree he is no left-back, but wherever you are asked to play, passing to your own players should be a basic ability, and too often he hadn't got it. Not on his own with that problem though!

Oakes deserves credit for keeping us in it once or twice, but that was cancelled out to some extent by a couple of shaky moments that left me on the very edge of my seat.

Merson, well, please Merse, stick to managing, or at the very least limit yourself to 45 minutes. Osborn was pretty good but is so much more effective when Merson isn't around to confuse everyone else.

Wrack, a couple of decent moments, hard luck with the header off the foot of the far post from a superb cross (from Kris Taylor?). Some will say Wracky really should have buried it - I suppose I'm probably one of them, but at least HE got there while the striker(s) didn't!

Referee - well I've not said much about them this season - but today's was dire at times. The penalty for Fryatt, caught on his ankle as he jumped 3 feet off the ground in an attempt to avoid the challenge, and the Ref. waved play on!! What was that all about? Nailed-on cast-iron dead-cert penalty that was, even though we couldn't claim to have deserved it! Add to that the Swindon guy yellow-carded first half, went on to commit blatant dissent AND several more bad challenges, why did he only keep lecturing him, had he left the red card behind in the dressing-room today?

All in all, unimpressed, but at least we won while playing poorly, and we moved up to a rather false/flattering sixth position. In the circumstances, I guess I'll take that. :D
The thing is geoff we were saying things like "well at least we scraped a draw" or "we were really lucky" and things like that all last season and although i have supported walsall since i was a kid ive come to the point where its not good enough any more just to get a lucky point or put 10 men behind the ball all the match,i just think that as with everything else in life that i do,buy or pay to see i want value for money and am not like i used to be just glad of a point, ive seen lots of brilliant action over the years but but so far with merson i think its just the home game when we beat albion and thats a long time to go without something to cheer about, so as i am "almost" fed up of saying, just go merson now before the gates drop below 5,000

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:12 pm

Geoff,I wouldn't be too hard on Taylor,he just had no support in front of him.occasionally,Wrack made himself available ,but generally then, he was only in a position to play the ball straight back to where it came from -normally Taylor.similarly Pead was restricted coming forward-but only because he was normally so isolated when he did.I just didn't understand the tactics today.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:21 pm

Good summary there Geoff. Thought Pead was fantastic today.

I still have major concerns as I thought we looked like we kicked off with a 4-3-1-2 today, which would be the 4th formation in 7 games and Merson was bloody atrocious today, I wish he'd just stick at playing manager.

Apart from slowing down our tempo, Merson also hinders Michael Standing who doesn't have as much license to play his normal game in my opinion.

We were poor again today, but in all honesty, if you can take 12 points and lose just 1 of your first 7 games despite not playing well then it bodes well for the future.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:23 pm

I don't think I'm being too hard on Taylor, maybe you've misunderstood my comments. I said he was not on his own with the passing problem, i.e. the others were often, even usually, just as bad.

Some of that passing was abysmal today. I'm a great believer that when you've got the ball, the opposition can't do anything with it. The way we kept giving it away today was criminal and could/should have cost us points.

What's happened to our passing game lately ?

Stonnall_Saddler

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:29 pm

Another classic match report from Mr.Whiting

Geoff for editor!!!!

Ace

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:40 pm

A win is a win. No complaints from me at all.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:50 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:A win is a win. No complaints from me at all.
well if the performances dont improve it wont be long before its down to 4,000+ because even today when they were giving tickets away it was a poor gate as were the previous gates this season

Ace

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:51 pm

sid swifty wrote:
well if the performances dont improve it wont be long before its down to 4,000+ because even today when they were giving tickets away it was a poor gate as were the previous gates this season

Meh, that's for someone else to worry about... not me 8)

WS1
UTS Regular

Geordie Saddler

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:54 pm

It was 1968 the last time Swindon Town won at Walsall and Don Rogers scored in a 1-o win for the Robins.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:56 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

well thats the way to go ac,let someone else worry about the money side of it :roll:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Another feature of the disappointing gate was the excessive number of pies and burgers left over after half-time. Where was Stafflers when he was needed? Off in the Middle East somewhere when he should have been at Bescot guzzling up all the surplus pies like he usually does! If you're reading this in some Internet cafe, Stafflers, I hope you are ashamed of yourself! :D :D :D

Stonnall_Saddler

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:02 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Stafflers

Half time entertainment was better today wouldnt everyone agree :lol: :lol:

Ace

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:02 pm

sid swifty wrote:
AC_Loyalist wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

well thats the way to go ac,let someone else worry about the money side of it :roll:

Don't try and drag me into any money or 'how the club is run' debates! 8)

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:17 pm

Stonnall_Saddler wrote:Another classic match report from Mr.Whiting

Geoff for editor!!!!

Another piss-take from Mr. Stonnall Saddler methinks ! :lol: :lol:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:22 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
AC_Loyalist wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Don't try and drag me into any money or 'how the club is run' debates! 8)
ok then but dont moan when they have
to let staunton,wright,wrack and merson go because they have'nt got enough.........hold on,i think we could be on to something here :lol: :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:30 pm

Sid, I think it's a bit premature calling for Merson out, personally I don't want the disruption of another management change so soon after CL, stability is what we need.

7 games played, 3 wins, 3 draws, one defeat, 12 points, 6th place - and we haven't played well yet. I don't think that's too bad, we're nicely placed and well in touch with the top, and my only real worry at the moment is Merson's messing about with the side.

If he'll just let the side settle now, with Pead, Westwood, Gerrard and Fox consistently at the back, Osborn, Standing, Kris Taylor and Wright featuring in midfield, Jorge and Matty working up front, and himself on the touch-line with Staunton, I think we could see a great improvement over the next few games.

If he carries on meddling, well I might be swapping to "The Sid Party", but for me I'm still quite a long way away from that, and my expectations are growing that the benefits of a settled side are beginning to dawn on him.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Sid, I think it's a bit premature calling for Merson out, personally I don't want the disruption of another management change so soon after CL, stability is what we need.

7 games played, 3 wins, 3 draws, one defeat, 12 points, 6th place - and we haven't played well yet. I don't think that's too bad, we're nicely placed and well in touch with the top, and my only real worry at the moment is Merson's messing about with the side.

If he'll just let the side settle now, with Pead, Westwood, Gerrard and Fox consistently at the back, Osborn, Standing, Kris Taylor and Wright featuring in midfield, Jorge and Matty working up front, and himself on the touch-line with Staunton, I think we could see a great improvement over the next few games.

If he carries on meddling, well I might be swapping to "The Sid Party", but for me I'm still quite a long way away from that, and my expectations are growing that the benefits of a settled side are beginning to dawn on him.
thats fair enough geoff, and i would normally agree with you mate but the thing is geoff the attendances are dropping all the while and but for away support would have already had a 4,000+ gate, i can say what i like and you can say what you like and so can paul merson but the fact is geoff,people are voting with their feet because if they were playing well their would be a feel good factor and the gates would be 6/7,000 even 8,000 against good teams,so in my opinion we need a fresh start with a manager who knows a thing or two about tactics, the one good thing i would say about merson is apart from the fact that
we are short of a striker and we need staunton and his high wages like you need a boil on your arse he has got together a damned good squad but even after a year he has'nt got a clue how to use them properly so i think he should go before an entire season is wasted yet again

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:53 pm

I think what we all need to recognise is how much we miss Foxy. We're a better side with him in, if only because he is competent playing orthodox left back, and we don't have to reshuffle to accomodate his absence. The least sensible decision amongst the raft of loan out this season has for me been Harkness - a young but capable left back, who could be covering for Foxy ight now, and allowing us to play everyone else in their best position.

Don't think we played well, but a good team wins even when it doesn't play well, and I thought we shaded this one, even if we played deep too much. Merson didn't have a stinker, as many suggest, but we did struggle for organisation in trying to accomodate him, and the lack of Foxy.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:55 pm

Fair enough Sid, we're both entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours, especially because you "put some meat on the bone" and explain your thinking, rather than just coming out with the one-liner "Merson-Out" that some people post.

Maybe we should meet up at the Saddlers Club before a game soon, and debate this in a friendly way over a pint or two.

Not that I approve of drinking you understand ! :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:58 pm

fensaddler wrote:I think what we all need to recognise is how much we miss Foxy. We're a better side with him in, if only because he is competent playing orthodox left back, and we don't have to reshuffle to accomodate his absence. The least sensible decision amongst the raft of loan out this season has for me been Harkness - a young but capable left back, who could be covering for Foxy ight now, and allowing us to play everyone else in their best position.

Don't think we played well, but a good team wins even when it doesn't play well, and I thought we shaded this one, even if we played deep too much. Merson didn't have a stinker, as many suggest, but we did struggle for organisation in trying to accomodate him, and the lack of Foxy.

That's a very good point about Fox and Harkness, Chris.

Fox is excellent, and I thought Harkness showed a lot of promise when he came in for Perps at the end of last season, and you're right, he would have been a much more able deputy to Fox than anyone else we are able to put out.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:01 pm

ok geoff i will hold you to that. going to usa for 2 weeks tomorrow so i will be in touch when i get back :lol:

Optimistic Saddler

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:22 pm

A goal, a clean sheet and three points. What more can you ask for?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:09 pm

Optimistic Saddler wrote:A goal, a clean sheet and three points. What more can you ask for?

totally agree mate, So many times last season we put in that type of performance only for the opposition to score a last minute goal. We aint playing great football but 6th in the league you cant argue. IF merse leaves the defence alone once Foxy is back I cant see many teams scoring against us. The only problem I can see is where will we get the goals from when Matty goes stale? Anyway thats a problem to talk about when it arises but at the moment 6th in the league 1 defeat in 12 in the league, im happy with that.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:21 pm

All well and true, but play like that against a decent side and we'll be put to the sword.

At the moment, we're getting results through luck (Rotherham, Forest) and oppositions in-ability to take chances (Hartlepools 2nd half onslaught, Bournemouth).

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Stu, it's becoming clearer that there's no decent teams in this division. That, or we're one of the decent teams and have become overcritical, maybe?

Ace

Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Stone me, we've won, how about a hint of a possible smile? :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season