Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea City Sat 27th August. (h)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:49 pm

Where do you start to describe that shambles?

Players who should be ashamed tonight - Smith, Staunton, Wrack

Players who did nothing at all to distinguish themselves - Bennett

Average - Pead, Oakes (although I wouldn't actually put him at fault for any of the goals), Wright, Westwood

Players to emerge with any credit - Fryatt, Leitao, Taylor

Subs - Standing - so so and Osborn - average

This was one of those games we were never going to win. Defensively for a large part of the afternoon we were a shambles not helped by the fact that the midfield looked totally toothless and couldn't win a prize if they'd bought the only ticket in a raffle!

Up front, Fryatt and Leitao tried their best but with no support from the midfield.

Goals - Fryatt won and scored the penalty. Leitao - I don't know how on earth the ref gave us that goal, I thought he bundled keeper and ball in the net.

Smith looked totally out of it, couldn't hold the ball and unable to run for it as well - total liability

Staunton - way too slow.

Merson has got to start to try to keep a settled team. Our best defence in my opinion is Pead and Fox out wide with Gerrard and Bennett or Westwood in the centre.

Let's hope that this is just a temporary setback and not the way of things to come....

sj
Site Addict

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Smith and Stan were really poor. It was like playing with 9.5 men. Sorry but thier legs have gone. too old and too slow.
Wrack again was poor and Westwood was exposed, we looked better with Ozzy.

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Can't blame just Staunton - how he left Smith on the field for so long is the big question.

We have the ball in their half and pressing - give the ball away and seconds later they've broken on us, the defence is awol and its another goal. Once would have been bad enough - but 4 times in 2nd half????

We missed Osborne keeping things together in the middle of the park, and Fox on the left.

On the plus side, Jorge ran his heart out again and didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Fryatt had flashes but gave impression he wasn't too bothered. And Kris Taylor did a lot of work - mainly to cover for Smith.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:14 pm

Another question - how on earth did Westwood get man of the match? My vote would have had to go to Jorge. Says it all though - we loose in 5 and the central defender gets the mom award!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:16 pm

Agree with you Andy. I am really disgusted by today for one simple reason.

The blame for today's "performance" lies solely with one Mr Paul Merson, who simply picked the wrong team and then failed to put it right until the game was out of sight.

1) No left back. Staunton and Bennett kept changing to see who made the best stab at the job. Answer: neither.

2) No holding player in midfield. Smith was woeful, dwelt on the ball, ineffective against anyone with a modicum of pace. Taylor and Smith play sideways only. No penetration, like that offered by Standing.

3) Defenders who didn't defend. Time after time we were left exposed at the back, outnumbered and over-run.

Paul, if you ever read this board, please in the name of God play your best team every week/game. Rotation/resting players is rubbish. Frank Lampard has played 150 league games on the trot for Chelsea. Simon Osborn is no Lampard, but PLAY HIM UNTIL HE'S INJURED!!! We may have conceded a fifth with him on,but we also had half a dozen clear chances too. IF you want to rest players, then start with them and TAKE THEM OFF WHEN THE GAME IS WON. Not rocket science is it, Paul?

Finally, what must Gerrard be thinking? What does the lad have to do to get a game?

Bournemouth on Monday? I'll be spending the day with the family.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:18 pm

Match report now on line and I somehow kept my temper. Staunton is just incapable of playing full back any more, Smith should not be on the field, as he is obviously not fit, players at this level can't play zonal marking, so why are we trying it and why oh why oh why oh why does he keep changing the line up. Find your best, stick to it as much as possible, This ain't the cack.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Well i return, after my hols i returned today to this pile of s@**$ , what has happened since ive been gone? wheres fox gone? why is paul smith playin, why does merse persist with wrack, sorry 'Back'. sorry 'Cack'.

I guess fox is injured, todays game was a shambles. Firstly defence. Staunton, way too slow, westwood average, bennet playin out of position, pead so so. Now the BIG BIG problem - midfield. If merse plays wrack on wednesday he should be sacked. as per paul smith. No idea why osborn didnt play, k taylor battled but showed his youth. Fryatt , i feel sorry for matty i really do. and Jorge, well i know he got a good cheer, he tries his hardest, but hes past it, come on you have to see this by now, i love him but i know hes not good enough anymore, incidentally why didnt dario come on when we were 3 goals in defecit and gerrard? Im going to have to get up to speed with this....

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:33 pm

Will Merson learn from this? I bloody hope so. His tinkering has been found out, as it so nearly could have been in the last home match.
Gerrard and Osborn have never put a foot wrong this season yet can't get in the team on a consistant basis. Wrack on the other hand never needs a "rest", probably because his tab infested lungs havn't got out of first gear since the change in millenium. No doubt there will be wholesale changes again for Monday, why can't we just play our best players week in week out? Its so bleedin' simple. The centre half position is all about partnership yet we try a different permutation every game. Centre midfield has never been a place for someone who is at best 2 stone overweight and 40% fit, and wingers need to be able to beat their man. Until Merson learns football management is about getting results, not keeping your mates happy he will ultimately balls up.

Ace

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:33 pm

I'm too tired to be technical, so i'll be frank.

Staunton = Crap, old, slow
Smith = Crap, old, unskillful, slow, indecisive

Oh, and THERES ONLY ONE SIMON OSBORN! 8) (big Ozzy fan)

Annoyed Guest

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:35 pm

Embarrassing day to be a Walsall fan. 5-2 at home to Swansea? No offence to any visiting Swans, but we should expect better than that. I can't understand why the defence was such a shambles. Every time we lost the ball they had a break of four or five against two. I would call it schoolboy stuff, but that would be insulting to schoolboys. Staunton was brought in, in part, to sort this mess out and yet he contributed more than most to our downfall. Smith said in a pre-match interview he was surprised to be selected for the Southend game - if even he knows he's unfit, then why is he starting ahead of Ossie and Kinsella? Wrack is still contributing nothing while we have a natural left footer and superb crosser of the ball - K Taylor - playing in centre mid. We need to go back to basics: A settled line-up, Ossie in the holding midfield role and IMO 4-5-1 which helped to turn things around last season. On the positive side, Jorge was excellent today and put the others to shame with his workrate and persistence in the face of adversity.

Looking at the league table, there are five teams level on 10 points at the top. We are just two points behind but are down in 10th place. All it needs is some consistency to succeed in this division, but on today's performance we are not going to be that team.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:08 pm

I'm not going to read what other people have written above. I'm going to write what I think and see how it compares to other opinions.

All blame lies with Merson today. This performance was like one of the early away games last season, and absolute defensive shambles. And this with a group of defenders who most teams in this league would kill for.

Westwood, man of the match????!?!?!?!?! fudge off match sponsors. As good as he and Staunton are they can't play together for me as they fanny about too much. Lets get proper defenders in like Roper and Gerrard. If Roper goes to Bristol Rovers after that then Merson wants shooting.

Bennett is already getting criticism above and at the game but its not his faults he's asked to play at left back, he's a centre half, hence why he didn't know when to get back or forward so we were cuelly exposed in the left back position because Staunton isn't quick enough to cover.

Smith is clearly unfit and not bothered. For most of last season Osborn needed dropping while playing badly yet played every game. Noe he's playing really well he gets dropped!

Merson, you're not Mourinho play your best f****** team and stick to it you tw**. You've undone all the faith you've built up from many disappointed fans last season, well this one at least.

I'd love to know what happened to Fox. He'd better have been injured because if he was dropped then thats a pathetic decision.

For Monday get Roper and or Gerrard in, Osborn in place of Smith and Standing in place of Wrack.

Only plus points for me today were Jorge, Wright who worked his socks off, Taylor and Fryatt who ran around and tried to create chances but was selfish too often trying to impress watching scouts.

Really p1ssed off after that. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:16 pm

Fair play MMF. I've stood by Merse since he got the job even after some of the debacles last season, and I've been happy with him this season, but the tinkering has to stop. Get Gerrard in for god's sake. Bennett and Gerrard were imense against Rotherham and aint played together since. Wracky is my hero, but at the moment he just aint doing it and needs dropping. Disgusted by today and quite pleased we got a game on Monday to get this out of our system. There can be no excuses today. We were awful.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:19 pm

Majorly disapointing...
We have a team, nay a squad, set up solely for 4-5-1, and we continue with 4-4-2 based on the strength of one 45 minute performance. Play to your strengths Merson!

It is unbelievable how much we missed Fox. Bennett looked the inexperienced player he is, Staunton took every set piece so ended up 60 yards out of position, and Westwood looked flustered. We have NO height save for Roper and Gerrard. One ball playing centre half is fine - that is Westwood - but in this division, you can't have two. Merson admits himself that Staunton isn't 'used' to having teams booting the ball "a hundred miles up in the air" to him - so I suggest that he either gets used to it, or stick to spreading his influence on the training field.
Pead has been totally consisent this season - yet I fear that through Paul Ranieri, he won't be starting on Monday.

Smith will be fine in a 4-5-1, but he is only 70% fit. He has played 2 and a half games since last May...he isn't fit! Why start him and leave him open to the abuse that he got today?
Wrack - what a pathetic excuse for a footballer he is. At least Merson saw the light and took him off. If you must rotate Merson - rotate Wrack. It is doing him no good at all to be booed off the pitch every week.
Osborn MUST play - I've been speaking to Mick Kearns no more than 10 minutes ago - he can't understand why he doesn't play. The defence is just too vulvnerable without Osborn.

Jorge never stopped working today, and just like last week, Fryatt can't handle the big guys. Still, Fryatt worked his socks off as always against 2 of the biggest centre halfs I've ever seen.

I suppose the irony is that a year ago we got hammered at Oldham in a very similar performance, and never recovered all season. Heres hoping that we can take the bull by the horns and got out on fire against Bournemouth.

However, on the upside today Merson must surely realise the absurbness of his rotation policy - we are not Chelsea, we don't have a massive squad, this is League One and your best players MUST play every week. By the way, Osborn played 7 months with a broken toe a couple of years ago, there is no way that he needs 'resting'.

By the way - Anthony Gerrard - top defender, crap driver.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:37 pm

EVO wrote:Get Gerrard in for god's sake. Bennett and Gerrard were imense against Rotherham and aint played together since.

Exactly EVO.

Seems like I didn't need to read what others had put as we all think the same apart from Merson.

Jorge, please lay off the criticism off Bennett. He only looked inexperienced because he is an inexperienced left back just like Oakes or Osborn would be if they played there. He's a centre half, end of.

Meanwhile with Gerrard's frustration at not playing he's happy going on the piss all the time and I don't blame him. Merson is destroying his great attitude and he couldn't wait to get Jorge's Swifts Lounge man of the match award crate of Banks's to take home with him tonight.

Guess who Smith was leaving the club with? Wrack. I hope the two of them enjoy their several pints and fags tonight as they are clearly the two most unfit players in the squad. Both good players but shouldn't be playing at the moment.

I'm seething, as much as any game last season...can you guess? :twisted: :twisted:

Guest2

Once Again

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:09 pm

Regular readers of these posts will no doubt remember that a few weeks ago I said that we should play 4-5-1 as it suits the players we have. I would still play Fox and Pead at full back with Gerrard and Westwood in the centre. The midfield must include Ozzy (as holding player) and Standing (as the creative player) with Taylor and Wright wide with Kinsella (or Smith - if ever gets fit !!!) alongside Ozzy that would allow Standing licence to run at people which is the strongest part of his game. Fryatt or Jorge could play up front in this system.
Anyone who went to the Palace game could see that we need more penetration up front - given that Palace have just re-signed Morrison we could do worse than try to get hold of their forward. I know he missed a lot of chances on the night but his running and power would cause havoc in League 1. Add a bit of composure and he could be a decent player.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Having been away for the summer I hadn't seen any of the new lads play and although it's unfair to judge them on one game I was appalled by Westwood and Smith.

A midfielder like Smith should
- Work like a trojan - He was bone idol.
- Pick of late runners - He was oblivous to them
- Be available for the simple passes to help the game along - He didn't want the ball
- Make telling challenges - He hardly won a tackle.

None of these can be improved by fitness. Smith looks awful. I hope he can improve. I hope Westwood just had a bad game. I think Gerrard and Ropes would have looked better than him.

Staunton is a class act but not a full back. He gives out the rollockings and the other lads respect him. You can tell.

I rate Merson as a manger but he thinks he'll get anywhere with a squad rotation system then he'll be out of a job come November. You play your strongest team and when someone is exhausted or injured then they get a rest. You don't play tinker man every week.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Missed the whole first half picking Chris up from B'ham Airport, got in just in time to see us going on the attack down the left, Stan lost the ball, and 7 or 8 seconds later we're torn utterly and completely apart and it's 2-1. Jorge's equaliser must surely have been an own goal by the defender who headed it over the keeper, 'cos the only resaon the keeper took it over the line was a neat "assist" by Jorge! Couldn't believe the ref, who was well-placed, could allow the goal to stand.

From then we made enough chances to have won by a cricket score, missed 'em all - though the goalie was lucky with a couple. Unfortunately we also conceded enough chances to have lost by a cricket score, and Swansea had finishers to match the approach work. If anyone can tell me that Fryatt is worth a million as a striker, then how much were the Swansea scorers worth, they were infinitely more clinical than Matty in despatching the ball past the keeper!

Nothing more I want to say, except I fully agree with everyone who has blamed this disaster fairly and squarely on Merson's team selection and tampering. We know which players make up our best defence, midfield and attack, and barring injuries and suspensions they MUST start every game consistently, that's the only way that the necessary understanding and consistency can be built.

Please Paul, you know as well as we do that today was a bl**dy total shambles, an embarrassment of mammoth proportions. This WILL happen again if you don't sort it, and I mean NOW! We are level with Chesterfield as this Division's worst defence. Sound familiar, like last season perhaps?

So stop pi$$ing about with the team, leave certain players completely out of the 16 until they are fit to play, and let's get some consistency going.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:09 pm

This match marks a crucial point in Merson's season. A year ago, he would listen to no-one. "I'm Paul Merson and I know it all and don't need any-one else's advice" and, as a consequence, kept making the same mistakes, week after week after week. When we had the little run at the end of last season, we all felt that he had finally arrived at the Syrian capital and seen the error of his earlier ways.

Two players were crucial to that run, Joachim and Surman - neither has been replaced. We did not concede from open play; the centre-backs? Gerrard and Roper. Gerrard played well at Rotherham and has not been seen since while Roper seems to be on his way out (although he hardly helps his own cause by always, unprofessionally, turning up overweight and out of condition at the start of pre-season training).

The whole stability of the line-up has been ruined by trying to accommodate Merson's buddy mate from Villa, Staunton, and Ossie's Gillingham pal, Smith. Staunton, clearly used to be a class player but he is now in his twilight years while Smith is an embarassment. He admitted on BBC WM today that he was unfit, having missed pre-season training and he was surprised to be in the team so soon - not half as surprised as we are, pal! A club with limited financial resources like Walsall cannot afford to carry such luxuries. Every player must be ready and able to perform at least adequately at first team level.

After the Joe Broad affair, one would have hoped that Merson would have thought long and hard about giving out long contracts but what does he do? Give a three year one to arguably our worst player, Wrack.

As several of us have posted before, Merson now faces a stern test of his management skills. The problems of having too many players in certain areas is self-inflicted - the re-signing of Wrack, the signing of Smith and Staunton (and to a lesser extent, Westwood) have put him in a difficult position. All this when we needed a natural left-sided attacking player, another striker (particularly if/when Fryatt goes) and AT LEAST ONE YOUNG, FIT, STRONG BOX-TO-BOX midfield player.

The blend and balance of the squad is wrong and time has almost run out to rectify it (for 4 months, at least). Listening to Merson on WM, it seems we will be back to 4-5-1 on Monday and, in his defence, he did say that Fox had failed a fitness test which is why he was not selected.

There isn't a person among the 5000 or so Saddlers fans who are fit to lace Merson's boots when it comes to skill and playing ability but there a good many who could teach him something about man-management and team tactics.

Will Merson have the humility and guts to hold up his hands and admit he had f****d it up, big time?
Will he settle on his strongest line-up and be prepared to deal with discontented players?
Will we keep a clean sheet in defence, this season?
Don't hold your breath waiting for the answers! :)

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:10 pm

What a fudge embarrasing, diobolical shambles.

I've been saying since last season that our biggest downfall is our midfield. Not defence, not attack, midfield. In a word, powederpuff. They hardly ever protect the defence, they never win loose balls and their idea of supporting attack is standing just over the hal way line with their hands on their hips.

For a team with more midfielders than any other team in the division how come we can't find one decent one ?

What was this about playing Staunton in the middle and Bennett on the left ? One is a centre half that can't play left back and the other is a left back that is now too old and slow to play there. Merson, just admit the only reason you bought Staunton was to find a job for a mate !

Westwood MOTM ? Are these people crazy ? I'd leave those prawn sandwiches alone from now on, they're obviously gone off and doing strange things to your mind. If that is what Hartlepool fans consider a top notch player then I dread to think what a bad player is like.

Wrack, well all I can say is why don't you just go an fudge off you waster. If you don't give jack cack then at least have a bit of self respect and walk.

Smith, ball-winning midfielder I was led to believe ? He couldn't win the ball from my 6 year old son. As people know I'm no Osborn fan but I was willing him to come on today.

Right, finally Merson. He said judge him on his team, it's now unquestionablly his team, no more excuses, no more cack, it's HIS team. He said judge me after 15 games. Tick, tock. The clock is ticking Merson. Sort it out, stop tinkering, stop finding positions for your drinking buddies and deliver, or go.

If the above offends any Merson Disciple or any general happy-clapper then tough. This ain't pretend lads, this is real, and if Merson ain't up to the job there's no room for nicey-nicey and "he's a really good bloke". If he can't do the job get someone in who can. Easy.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:17 pm

Excellent post Dave. I'm a big Merse fan and have been since he got the job. But now he has to deliver, your right it is his team, and the clock is ticking. I aint paincking after one game, but as we aint played well all season I thought "one day it'll click and we'll hammer somebody or one day somebody will click and we'll get hammered". Sadly the latter happened and its got to stop. Merse sort the defence out and pretty damn quick.

Ace

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:37 pm

Dave Roe wrote:As people know I'm no Osborn fan

How come?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:49 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:
Dave Roe wrote:As people know I'm no Osborn fan

How come?

Most of last season he had the passing range of about 3 foot. He didn't tackle. His only "contribution" was to satnd in the centre circle and point and shout and bollock people for fudge up when it was plain they were trying to cover his shortcomings.

Oh, and he's a Dingle.

The last line is not a true reason in my thinking, but at least it will relieve someone from having to accuse me of it.

Ace

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:57 pm

Yeah but that's last season where our tactics rendered him vunerable. He's much more comfortable this season and we're seeing the 'real' Ozzy.

If you couldn't already tell, i'm one of his best fans 8) I think i was alone in my 'only one Simon Osborn' chant today :oops:

SwanFan

Todays Game

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Just read your managers comments on todays game and gotta say he wasn't exactly gracious in defeat. Yes you did defend like muppets but to say we didn't play particularly well and it was all down to bad defending is a bit pathetic!

I arrived today expecting a really tough game but you lot were bloody awful, especially in the second half. But even the most blinkered of you must admit we played some nice stuff on the counter attack and to get 5 goals away from home is hardly not playing particularly well!

You're just lucky Trunds wasn't playing!!

ps You really need to ditch Staunton and Smith, they were absolutely shocking!!

Ace

Re: Todays Game

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:23 pm

SwanFan wrote:ps You really need to ditch Staunton and Smith, they were absolutely shocking!!

I thought they were joint man of the match candidates :roll:

SwanFan

Re: Todays Game

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:28 pm

AC_Loyalist wrote:
SwanFan wrote:ps You really need to ditch Staunton and Smith, they were absolutely shocking!!

I thought they were joint man of the match candidates :roll:

Well Westwood wasn't much better! So did you have loads of injuries or something?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:40 pm

Swan Fan congratulations on the five goals but I think that we made you look good today, by giving you so much space to play in. Your players who like to run with ball did well because we did not close them down and your tall forwards won most things in the air. I doubt if you will have such poor defenders every week. When you play us again I expect that Fox (who was injured today), Roper and Gerrard (who were mysteriously left out) will be playing and do a great deal better.

merson

did u c there keepers jestures to the fans

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:44 pm

did you c the swans keeper make jestures to the fans when swans got the 3rd and 4th goals
discusted sopce to be pros not yobs :evil:

Larryhaggler

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:14 pm

My anger for today's pathetic, inept display has not subsided.
On WM Merse sounded pissed, and according to a good source of mine, no where to be seen for the first 45.
Now, the effortless display, Mr Wright, not one person yet has picked up the fact that he just let his man run and lay the ball into Martinez too score their first. Wright is shockingly bad, especially tracking back. Westwood, I'm sorry, Ive said before, he's too slow. Staughton looked old today, legs gone, but in his defence can still pass the ball. Smith ? Absolutley Efin ~ank, again !. I just hope he's unfitt because if not, another poor signing. Then add to this Mr shambolic Wrack (off), he is simply finished, It is personel with me and him, I have always hated him and thought he was overated. I think Wrack must of thought he won the lottery when we offered him a 3 year deal.
Now for that useless twerp Merson. Inept like the team. 90 minutes of uselessness, then he decided to change it at 2-4 down. Merse rotate the squad when yo have a good enough squad to rotate.

swansvisitor

haha

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:57 am

stop blaming the manager

the whole team was shite :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season