Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United - Sat 20th August 2005 (a)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:39 am

1-0 to us with the goal coming from Westwood

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:18 pm

Half right Wyrley!

Didn't go, but listened on World for the first time today (quite impressed by commentary and features). By the sounds of it, both teams got what they deserved. There's no such thing as a bad away point, especially against a side who finished in the play-off final last term. We seemed to be more solid defensively (from the commentary) and Hartlepool had obviously done their homework re: crosses/corners by the amount they put into the box. The fact that we seemed able to cope with that, and wave after wave of second half pressure can only be a good thing. Well done the lads! Would love to hear what those who went think.

Still unbeaten, despite a tough set of fixtures. Point off the top. That'll do!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:21 pm

A good point - would have taken that before the game. Just wonder now who will start at centre-back for the next league game as I expect Gerrard to get a game at Palace.

Stonnall_Saddler

Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:A good point - would have taken that before the game. Just wonder now who will start at centre-back for the next league game as I expect Gerrard to get a game at Palace.

Roper Id Say

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:05 pm

Not beyond the realms of possibilty both will play.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:05 pm

Wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see us use a few fringe players at Palace - but this season we have good quality fringe players, like Merson, Roper, Gerrard, Kinsella.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:19 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:we have good quality fringe players, like Merson, Roper, Gerrard, Kinsella.

Well, in theory anyway :D

andy__vh

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:46 pm

agree with the fringe players, but fringe players are just as good as first team in some positions. as for todays result im well happy with a 1-1! westwood will get 10+ goals this season.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:52 pm

I think a draw was a fair result after both keepers had to make a couple of decent saves. I thought Ozzie,Fox and Oakes were the pick of the bunch for us. Fryatt and Wracky didnt look bothered, Fryatt didnt show the watching sunderland scout what they would pay a million pound for, maybe he will be ehre a bit longer now!

All ive got to moan about today is how the hartlepool security guards and police could let a mindless idiot get into our end and let him sing for a minute or so before being taken out. OK he was drunk and didnt look like he was going to cause trouble but al the same he still shouldnt have been allowed in our end!

Still undefeated and havent started playing as good as we can.

UPTHESADDLERS

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 am

Hartlepool is a bizarre place. Strangest thing I've ever ever seen outside a football ground that transvestite. Police didn't know where to look.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:37 am

wfc_2uk wrote:All ive got to moan about today is how the hartlepool security guards and police could let a mindless idiot get into our end and let him sing for a minute or so before being taken out. OK he was drunk and didnt look like he was going to cause trouble but al the same he still shouldnt have been allowed in our end!

I saw that geezer. One presumes he zipped his fleece up thus concealing the home shirt underneath and gaining incognito admission.
The best thing was that creature in a dress and high heels and really thick eyebrows that was walking about outside the turnstiles before the game. Waving an old stylee rattle with red and white ribbons attached, if you please! A sort of League of Gentlemen character with Evil Edna's facial expressions.

Not all that many Saddlers fans there (300 tops I would say) which is a shame because Hartlepool is actually quite a nice place.

Nice tidy away performance. I'm particularly impressed with Fox but singularly unimpressed with the efforts of Wrack.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:40 am

How did the midfield , and in particular Smith, play ?

Hopefully an improvement on his first outing last week.

Foxy

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:56 am

Smith looked better but he's not fully fit. Wrack didn't appear interested.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:56 am

addo wrote:How did the midfield , and in particular Smith, play ?

Hopefully an improvement on his first outing last week.

Smith:steady if unspectacular. Strong in the tackle and neat with his passing. I've seen enough to suggest that he will prove to be a useful acquisition.

Osborn: was very tidy again. Shame he couldn't have been this player for the first part of last season.

Jorge: hardly had much of a kick all game. He is no slouch but I suggest that Wrighty would cause more damage out on the right with his turn of speed, particularly in away games with the opposition full back looking to push on. Jorge is better at tracking back though maybe.

Taylor: Again tidy if unspectacular. Nothing very creative and Standing looked more dangerous when he replaced him.

Wrack: Not the player he was I'm afraid. Hardly ever gives the ball away but seems scared to take players on which leaves us wanting because we look to him to open things up. Perhaps he is being told to play more of a holding role, in which case I apologise to him, but either way we are not getting the best from him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:47 am

Osborn: was very tidy again. Shame he couldn't have been this player for the first part of last season.

Shame we played three across the middle and gave him no chance, more like!

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:24 am

Who was the pikey Pools player without a name or number on the back of his shirt? Seen it in friendlies but is that legal in a 1st class game?

Happy with a point. Could have been 3, could have been 0 - so a draw about fair.

Thought Jorge was our best player - up and down the pitch, tackling back, driving us on when we attacked. Got through a lot of work, lasted 90 minutes, and looking better than he has for years. Would have liked to see us go 4-4-2 for last 15 minute though keep him out there on the right of the middle 5.

Ossie was immense again. Smith looks like can play and a little fitter than last week. Fox and Westwood commanding at the back. Staunton showed he has the head - but possibly not the legs; Bennett should have come on at some point in 2nd half.

My main worry was not Wrack (who at least didn't do anything wrong) - Pead was blowing hard after only 20 minutes and was pretty ineffective against their wide man (Westwood bailed him out more than once). He was even less impressive going forward (althgough to be fair, he had Jorge taking the ground in fornt of him). As I've said before, I think Gerrard more likely to come in for Pead than as an out-and-out centre half.

And a special mention to Andy Oakes. Some brilliant saves (will forgive the rush of blood when he rushed to the edge of the area in 1st half but never made the ball).

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 am

I forgot to mention Fryatt who didn't look all that interested - maybe he had his mind on which signing on package to choose. Can't believe the number of times he got himself caught offside.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 am

Andy W Taylor wrote:I forgot to mention Fryatt who didn't look all that interested - maybe he had his mind on which signing on package to choose. Can't believe the number of times he got himself caught offside.

its quite frustrating with Matty. He must stroll offside at least 5 times a match. He needs to read the line alot better and if he stays we must stop hoofing the ball expecting him to header it, beacuse he CANT!

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:00 pm

The player with out a name on his back is the one who got injured and had blood on his shirt and had to replace his shirt, why they did not have a shirt with his name and number on----you have to ask Hartlepool United that.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:33 pm

It was a decent performance on Saturday, and I'm satisfied with a point against a decent side. Can't make any compliants about tactics or the players, other than the necessary mention for Wrack's poor performance, and strong performances from all of our central midfield players. The back four again looked very strong (we must have the strongest defence in the league), whilst I thought Oakes made a couple of decent saves, but his distribution and decision making was a little suspect.

One gripe though was a bloke sitting a few rows behind me just to the left of the goals who never shut up moaning once - not from the first whistle to the last. Why travel 180 miles and pay near enough 50 quid to moan? It got so bad that at one point I thort Kris Taylor's mom who was sitting behind me was going to turn round and thorw something at him! Among his great phrases included "This is 4th Division Stuff Merson"..."I've never seen a Walsall team play so bad"...and "Why don't you play for Boston Fryatt? Your're sh!t".

sj
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:47 pm

Jorge was he fat with Blonde hair? About 49m ish

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:16 pm

sj wrote:Jorge was he fat with Blonde hair? About 49m ish

49m? I think I would have noticed someone that tall!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Hartlepool Sat

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:58 pm

CEEPEE wrote:Magic Man Fan rest assured i will keep you informed just as you have with me. Hang the monkey, hang the monkey!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :wink:

Did Hang the Monkey take off this time?

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season