Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingaham Forest-Tuesday 9th August 2005-(h)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
LankeySaddler

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:54 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I think I might have to become optimistic instead of pesimistic for this season!!! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

redalways

Never a pen

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:57 pm

Just seen the goals on Sky. Wrights effort was every bit as good as I thought. But that penalty decision is clear proof we are going to get promoted. Only top of the table teams get those!!!

Jorge slid into the goalkeeper who was a little clumsy, but no way was that a pen or sending off. Who cares, we suffered enough bad decisions last year.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:08 pm

ShropSaddler wrote:Well I hope all home games are that exciting this season!!

Player by player;

Oakes - didn't exactly inspire confidence and looked very jittery towards the end. Clearly fouled for their 2nd goal
Pead - excellent defensive performance
Fox - much better than I expected. Close to being motm
Westwood - immense, organised the defence superbly
Bennett - well deserved motm
Standing - v poor
Taylor - had his moments, great free-kick, some good challenges
Osborn - superb midfield performance
Wrack - might as well have not been on the pitch. Contributed about 5/6 backward passes and 3 square passes all of less than 5 yards. Should have been marking the Notts right-sided player who crossed for the first goal but was nowhere to be seen
Leitao - came into his own in the 2nd half. Still not the player he was but certainly contributed to the win
Fryatt - thought he looked a class above anyone else on the pitch. Destined for greater things
Wright - great 2nd half performance. Difficult to leave him out next game.

The Referee - clearly, far and away our MOTM Absolutely bizarre performance. Not just the penalty and sending off (which I can only assume was for the fact that the goalie slid feet first into Leitao?) but also the 2nd forest goal and the fact that he booked several players for very minor offences whilst leaving other much more serious fouls to go unpunished!

Agree with pretty much everything apart from the standing comment, wouldnt have said he was very poor, but wrack again im afraid was non existent

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:37 pm

Great result tonight. Forest were excellent and are bound to be up at the top at the end of the season, so to beat them was terrific.

We were very poor in the first half and very good in the second. I said before the season started that I didn't think 4-5-1 would work without Joachim and Surman (especially Surman) and I still think that's the case. We don't have the pace or skill in midfield to support a lone striker. We got away with it on Saturday but had to change things tonight to 4-4-2, and credit to Merson for doing that. Credit also to him for leaving Bennett in, which I didn't expect - he was a man of the match contender for the second game running.

Not much went right in the first half. In fairness, Forest ran rings round us and there wasn't much we could do, but pumping high balls up to Fryatt, constantly surrounded by two or three big defenders, didn't seem to make much sense. But it was very much a game of two halves.

I was disappointed by Westwood in the first half to be honest, but he came into his stride in the second. Switching to 4-4-2 was a bit of a bold move because it meant we were so reliant on the wingers, and they did very well (yes, even Wrack) after the interval, but we did very well indeed in the middle of the park, with Osborn magnificent throughout (again). I seem to remember people saying our full backs would be our weak link - well, they were both terrific tonight, as they were on Saturday. I worry a bit about what would happen if either got injured though.

I must be the only person (other than the ref) who actually thought it was a penalty. Yes, it was a 50-50 ball, but Leitao was set to get up and have what would have been an easy tap in, and the keeper stuck his arms out and prevented him from doing so. For me it was a clear penalty and a clear red card. Even if you do consider that lucky, you have to balance it with the fact that Forest's first goal came moments after a blatant foul on Fryatt and their second came with what looked like a blatant foul on Oakes (though I was further away that time).

Things are looking good... roll on Saturday!

JPD

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:07 am

Corners 6-0 to Forest!!!
And Junior sent off for Stoke.
Birch and Hawley score for Lincoln and Carlisle respectively.

ucow

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:30 am

a good result last night and fuly deserved foredt didnt look like creating much throughout the game! i didnt think we looked affective playing 4 5 1 at home but when we went to 4 4 2 we looked a lot better and more creative!

our first goal was a good strike from distance that gave the keeper no chance our second was from chashing teh bal in where as the forest defence stood still! the third goal was a penalty from where i was sitting you could see the keeper lift his foot up and come down on leatio so i think the sending off might have been for wiolent conduct but i would like to see the incident again before confirmin this! i felt that the forests second goal was a foul on oakes but sometimes you get them and sometimes you dont!

it was nice to see a ref who for once didnt have the big team syndrome and just let the game flow and stoped the match when he needed to to calm down the players as there were a few nice tackles flying in!

Purple Toucan Saddler

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:56 am

andy__vh wrote:oh and im sure alot of people will have a good day at work tomorrow! ie those who work with Forest fans, aint that right Up-the-Walsall!!?

Too right mate. I'm owed a fiver from one, and he turned his phone off last night following the match. Then again, I did give him running commentary of the penalty, followed by screaming down the phone at him before he hung up on me :lol:

By the way, has everyone forgot that their number 21 should have been sent off for a nasty foul (would have been second booking), but the ref decided to let him off with a stern talking to.

I'm sure the ref had a bet on a 3-3 draw.

toffo
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 am

Could not get to the game last night. What happened when Fryatt scored the penalty?
Forest fans are incensed and mention bottles ect being thrown onto the pitch.What Happened? :?:

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:28 am

toffo wrote:Could not get to the game last night. What happened when Fryatt scored the penalty?
Forest fans are incensed and mention bottles ect being thrown onto the pitch.What Happened? :?:

Fryatt cupped his ear to the Forest fans. Idiot. Got booked for it.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:42 am

Merse has to get a bit of credit for seeing that switch to 4-4-2 was needed, I know it was clear to folk in the stands, but its a damnsight easier to see how a match is going when you can look down on it.

What surprised me was Forest' total inability to either understand or defend against our switch in formation. That outlet on the right flank really caused a problem for them for some reason.

Special mention has to go to the defensive triangle of Bennett, Westwood and Osborn, who I thought were fantastic to be honest. Whilst Fryatt looked superb, I really do think he'll go before the transfer window as he is a step above this level.

I can only presume that the penalty was for the keeper going into the challenge with his feet first, but none the less, it was very harsh, not a penalty and not a red card in my book. I know we can point to their 2nd goal and the blatant foul, but that red card changed the game significantly without doubt.

Mind you, arrogant Forest fans with their 'Champions' banner deserve it. And I really wish they'd realise its 2005 now, not 1980 and Brian Clough in charge.

Just to clarify those cheering Junior's red card, its a different Junior. Junior, as we know, signed for Watford. The 'Junior' at Stoke is a different player that they signed from Anderlecht about a fortnight ago.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:58 am

Match report now on line (front page)

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:12 am

The best game we have had down the Bescot in years...it had everything!
The most exhillating half since the Albion 4-1...
Shutting up 'big time' supporters...Now who's watching f'n Brazil?
Controversial penalties (I was on the exact same line as the linesman...how he gave it i will never know, if anything, Jorge could have been booked for jumping in and showing his studs...but who cares?)...
and the most nerves I've felt at a match since the Rotherham match when we went down...but these were nerves we could actually enjoy!

Total credit to Merson - I was surprised he made a change at half time. Though it was crying out for a change, we've become acostomed to 'giving it 10 minutes'. Forest lost there shape in the first 10 minutes, and that was all we needed to get the momentum.

Player by Player -

Oakes - Again solid...not bad for a sheep shagger...Possibly could have been braver for their second, but I was at the other end of the ground and have only seen it up close on TV.

Pead - A more assured performance than Saturday. He resorts to hopeless long balls too much for my liking, but when he looks and plays a pass, he looks decent. Handled their set-up well, and I can't remember any problems coming from the right hand side.
Fox - Rapidly becoming a bit of a terrace hero! Absolutely mental, fiery in the tackle, but a solid player. He's comfortable on the ball and can spot a pass. I also had to love how he took a drink from one of the bottles that was thrown at Fryatt before knocking it back at them!
Westwood - He will win our player of the season and he could prove to be one of the biggest signings we have made in the modern era. The epitome of a captain - just what we needed.
Bennett - The best game I've seen him play. He was up against two very tricky strikers, and performed so well that the Forest fans were abusing Taylor for the whole second half until he went off.

Osborn - He's back at the top of his game, just like he was when he first joined the club. Second from Westwood, he is the most influential player we've got, and, just as the First Half proved, even if the rest of the midfield isn't performing, he is there to keep everyone going and to mop up the problems.
Wrack - Quiet again. I think his biggest problem is that too much beer and too many fags mean that he just can't beat his man anymore. A 3-year contract doesn't help the 'comfort zone' either. I'd be disapointed if he kept this level of performance all season.
Standing - Ineffective and too lightweight. It'll be interesting to see where this leaves him in home matches, as I sense that 4-4-2 is the way to go at Bescot.
Taylor - Not the best performance in the first half, but came in to his own in the second half. Made some surging runs and worked very well with Osborn. Great free kick which led to Westy's goal.

Leitao - He looks rejuvinated this season. He has some pace back, he looks capable of taking on any defence and beating them, and he is winning EVERYTHING in the air. He worked so hard last night, and its good to see that his dives aren't as obvious as they used to be! :wink: As I said above, I was sitting right on the linesman's line, and it wasn't a penalty. A red card was so harsh...but who cares? The reaction of the Forest subs and the Forest fans was magic. Its what is called a culture shock.
Fryatt - If he's still here in February, then we are going to have a great chance for Promotion. Defences just can't handle him when he runs at them. They are petrified. For the first time in years we have a striker more than capable of hitting 25 goals and taking us to promotion. Surely it will do him more good to stay for at least another year with us. Sign your contract Matty!

Subs:
Wright - Produced a goal from absolutely nothing, made the free-kick with a surging run which tied ex-Manchester United, Blackburn and Leicester defender John Curtis in knots, and at times looked like an old-fashioned winger. He linked up well with Pead, and when he plays like this you actually see some intelligence in his play.
Larrossa - He looks a useful outlet. He came on and relieved some of the pressure. Even though his English is limited to a smile and a thumbs up, he knew when to take the ball in to the corner and when to go on a run down a culdesac to buy some time.
Kinsella - Perfect to bring on. Calmed down the midfield and gave an experienced head to replace Osborn in an otherwise fairly inexperienced side.

As much as Forest are a 'special' club, it was brilliant to shut them last night. I can only imagine Ginger Gary speaking to the referee after the game! :lol:
A top performance in many respects - pure drama, and we haven't had that much at Bescot over the last few years.
Jorge's goal on Saturday, Jorge's penalty win last night - is this a change of luck for the Saddlers?

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:14 am

Controversial penalties (I was on the exact same line as the linesman...how he gave it i will never know, if anything, Jorge could have been booked for jumping in and showing his studs...but who cares?)...
and the most nerves I've felt at a match since the Rotherham match when we went down...but these were nerves we could actually enjoy!

Total credit to Merson - I was surprised he made a change at half time. Though it was crying out for a change, we've become acostomed to 'giving it 10 minutes'. Forest lost there shape in the first 10 minutes, and that was all we needed to get the momentum.

Player by Player -

Oakes - Again solid...not bad for a sheep shagger...Possibly could have been braver for their second, but I was at the other end of the ground and have only seen it up close on TV.

Pead - A more assured performance than Saturday. He resorts to hopeless long balls too much for my liking, but when he looks and plays a pass, he looks decent. Handled their set-up well, and I can't remember any problems coming from the right hand side.
Fox - Rapidly becoming a bit of a terrace hero! Absolutely mental, fiery in the tackle, but a solid player. He's comfortable on the ball and can spot a pass. I also had to love how he took a drink from one of the bottles that was thrown at Fryatt before knocking it back at them!
Westwood - He will win our player of the season and he could prove to be one of the biggest signings we have made in the modern era. The epitome of a captain - just what we needed.
Bennett - The best game I've seen him play. He was up against two very tricky strikers, and performed so well that the Forest fans were abusing Taylor for the whole second half until he went off.

Osborn - He's back at the top of his game, just like he was when he first joined the club. Second from Westwood, he is the most influential player we've got, and, just as the First Half proved, even if the rest of the midfield isn't performing, he is there to keep everyone going and to mop up the problems.
Wrack - Quiet again. I think his biggest problem is that too much beer and too many fags mean that he just can't beat his man anymore. A 3-year contract doesn't help the 'comfort zone' either. I'd be disapointed if he kept this level of performance all season.
Standing - Ineffective and too lightweight. It'll be interesting to see where this leaves him in home matches, as I sense that 4-4-2 is the way to go at Bescot.
Taylor - Not the best performance in the first half, but came in to his own in the second half. Made some surging runs and worked very well with Osborn. Great free kick which led to Westy's goal.

Leitao - He looks rejuvinated this season. He has some pace back, he looks capable of taking on any defence and beating them, and he is winning EVERYTHING in the air. He worked so hard last night, and its good to see that his dives aren't as obvious as they used to be! :wink: As I said above, I was sitting right on the linesman's line, and it wasn't a penalty. A red card was so harsh...but who cares? The reaction of the Forest subs and the Forest fans was magic. Its what is called a culture shock.
Fryatt - If he's still here in February, then we are going to have a great chance for Promotion. Defences just can't handle him when he runs at them. They are petrified. For the first time in years we have a striker more than capable of hitting 25 goals and taking us to promotion. Surely it will do him more good to stay for at least another year with us. Sign your contract Matty!

Subs:
Wright - Produced a goal from absolutely nothing, made the free-kick with a surging run which tied ex-Manchester United, Blackburn and Leicester defender John Curtis in knots, and at times looked like an old-fashioned winger. He linked up well with Pead, and when he plays like this you actually see some intelligence in his play.
Larrossa - He looks a useful outlet. He came on and relieved some of the pressure. Even though his English is limited to a smile and a thumbs up, he knew when to take the ball in to the corner and when to go on a run down a culdesac to buy some time.
Kinsella - Perfect to bring on. Calmed down the midfield and gave an experienced head to replace Osborn in an otherwise fairly inexperienced side.

As much as Forest are a 'special' club, it was brilliant to shut them last night. I can only imagine Ginger Gary speaking to the referee after the game! :lol:
A top performance in many respects - pure drama, and we haven't had that much at Bescot over the last few years.
Jorge's goal on Saturday, Jorge's penalty win last night - is this a change of luck for the Saddlers?

Oscar

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:53 am

I have to complement you on your match report Neil as it was better than first class - you picked up on all the main points and gave a very good balanced overview - very well done.
Possibly the best match report I've read in dare I say it 40 years of reading them.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:58 am

A good result last night thats sent the ewoks back up their trees for a bit. The team now seem willing to really battle. The younger players are really putting the effort in now.

SPLENDID!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:59 am

A good result last night thats sent the ewoks back up their trees for a bit. The team now seem willing to really battle. The younger players are really putting the effort in now.

SPLENDID!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:00 am

SPLENDID!

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:12 am

Gosh it did get you excited derbysaddler :D :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Oscar wrote:I have to complement you on your match report Neil as it was better than first class - you picked up on all the main points and gave a very good balanced overview - very well done.
Possibly the best match report I've read in dare I say it 40 years of reading them.

A genuine thank you, it's nice to get the occasional compliment and i do try hard!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:18 pm

Controversial penalties (I was on the exact same line as the linesman...how he gave it I will never know, if anything, Jorge could have been booked for jumping in and showing his studs...but who cares?)...

Total credit to Merson - I was surprised he made a change at half time. Though it was crying out for a change, we've become accustomed to 'giving it 10 minutes'. Forest lost there shape in the first 10 minutes, and that was all we needed to get the momentum.

Player by Player -

Wrack - Quiet again. I think his biggest problem is that too much beer and too many fags mean that he just can't beat his man anymore. A 3-year contract doesn't help the 'comfort zone' either. I'd be disappointed if he kept this level of performance all season.

Leitao - He looks rejuvenated this season. He has some pace back, he looks capable of taking on any defence and beating them, and he is winning EVERYTHING in the air. He worked so hard last night, and its good to see that his dives aren't as obvious as they used to be! :wink: As I said above, I was sitting right on the linesman's line, and it wasn't a penalty. A red card was so harsh...but who cares? The reaction of the Forest subs and the Forest fans was magic. Its what is called a culture shock.

Subs:
Larrossa - He looks a useful outlet. He came on and relieved some of the pressure. Even though his English is limited to a smile and a thumbs up, he knew when to take the ball in to the corner and when to go on a run down a cul-de-sac to buy some time.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:38 pm

Jorge, have you got a really bad delayed stutter?

Not only did you double post the above at 9.12am and 9.14am, you've now posted it a 3rd time over 3 hours later.

You wanna see a Dr about that.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 pm

I think hes just after the same acknowledgement as Neil. :)

Good match report Jorge. :P

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:14 pm

It was Jorge14's birthday the other week, he's probably still hung over Stu ! :lol:

Can't add much to other comments about the game, other than to say this was one great game to have the privilege of watching, and if we get this amount of excitement in future games, I doubt we'll find many people complaining, and the crowds would surely be attracted back to Bescot.

Thought the penalty/sending off were harsh, and having seen only brief glimpses of highlights on TV, I'm still not sure what happened, and I'm less than convinced about the Forest 2nd having crossed the line (but it was definitely a foul on Oakes at that time).

Roll on Saturday - hope Southend have had their away-day with the win at Bradford last night!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:44 pm

The little girls face say's it all, she looks ready to cry

Big club, my arse

Ric Flair

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:00 pm

All I can say is

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:49 pm

Just really proud of myself... :?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:34 pm

Superb! What a start to the season.

Lets not underestimate how well we did to claw that game back last night. Forest have some great players and will certainly be up there in May. They had a great strikeforce and despite us conceding two goals I thought we defended excellently.

Bennett was awesome and Osborn kept us together in the first half. Westwood improved in the second half I thought. I knew he chipped in with a lot of goals for Hartlepool but I think he could score double figures at this rate.

Most credit should go to Merson in my opinion. Its pleasing to know that he saw our failings at Rotherham and in the first half last night and made the correct changes at the correct time. That couldn't always be said of our previous two managers. He already seems to have learned a lot from last season and the team seem to be buzzing.

He's not quite his old self yet but at times in the second half Jorge was brilliant. He's actually rediscovered his first touch and was laying ouff some great balls which made for some superb one touch passing moves at 3-1.

Wright was poor on Saturday. Merson left him out. He comes on at half time and seemed determined to make up for it. I suppose thats what squad strength and management is about!

I'm trying not to get carried away too much but with our newly organised defence and what I've seen so far its hard not to!

PS - Best atmosphere for ages, lets keep it going!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote: Westwood improved in the second half I thought. I knew he chipped in with a lot of goals for Hartlepool but I think he could score double figures at this rate.

Well I suppose it depends what you call a lot of goals for Hartlepool. He scored 9 for them in 6 seasons with nearly 300 appearances. That means he is three times as prolific a goalscorer as Ian Roper (who is around the same age and number of appearances), but does not lead me to think that he going to get double figures this season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:13 pm

Bernie wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote: Westwood improved in the second half I thought. I knew he chipped in with a lot of goals for Hartlepool but I think he could score double figures at this rate.

Well I suppose it depends what you call a lot of goals for Hartlepool. He scored 9 for them in 6 seasons with nearly 300 appearances. That means he is three times as prolific a goalscorer as Ian Roper (who is around the same age and number of appearances), but does not lead me to think that he going to get double figures this season.

He's already scored a few in pre season for us. I think he's going to have an Ada season.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:15 pm

I hope you are right MMF. He certainly took the chance well last night.

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season