Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United-Saturday 6th August 05-(A)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Subs:-
29.Ruben Dario Larossa
9. Jorge Leitao
16.Mark Kinsella
24.Scott Dann
21.Dean Coleman

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:53 pm

1-1 HT

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:02 pm

2-1 FT

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:02 pm

Late freak winner for the Saddlers - sounds like we were lucky - but I'll take that! Get in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:04 pm

Jorge with the goal

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:13 pm

Listening to the commentary it sounds like we were lucky to get the three points ( a draw would have been a fair result) . Still, I'll take them with pleasure and it is good that we can still win having not played well - how often have we won in the last seconds of a game?.

And of course, it's nother opening day win at Rotherham. Is this a lucky omen? Six league wins on the trot! Let's make it seven against Forest ...

I'll be interested to read the thoughts of people who went to the game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:22 pm

Well, the match report is now on line, courtesy of the Fat controller at the game, and backs that up!

BristolFan in Sheffield

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:35 pm

We were quite lucky. Rotherham were quite good but didn't look like scoring very often. Taylor was MOTM but Fryatt was outstanding too.

Good way to start the season. Jorge looked sharp when he came on. With Westwood and Smith in the team (though I'm not sure who I'd drop to bring Smith in) we should be very strong. Biggest disappointment today was the wingers. Wright was anonymous and Wrack looked painfully unfit and poor.

Tholot's Mullet

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:20 pm

Agree Bristol, what a quality day!

Gerrard was again assured at the back, Fryatt caused a lot of problems first half and K Taylor was probably the pick of the midfield and my man of the match.

Thought Fox had a promising debut. Got caught out of position a couple of times, but did well against a very useful winger and will only get better.

Wrack and Wright were a bit disappointing - Jorge did well on the right when he came on and could be an alternative there. With the exception of Westwood for Roper would not change anything for Tuesday though.

Bring on Forest!

Stalky

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 pm

I presume he means Bennett.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:50 pm

Thought we started really brightly,especially Fryatt & if Taylor had taken that second chance then we would probably have coasted it. Congratulations to Pead for that magnificent clearance to save certain goal after Oakes' injury.Thought we had paid the price of not taking our chances when they equalised.
Think if we are playing Fryatt as lone striker then we need to play more on the ground to him.Too many high balls towards him to compete with big centre halves.
If ever a game was drifting to a draw then it was this one. Will be interested to see Jorge's goal.It seemed to be touched onto woodwork by keeper & then came back & hit him & went in. Still WHO CARES!!!!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Oakes - took knock - steady

Pead - Got stuck in but caught out a few times
Gerrard - Solid
Bennett - At fault for goal imho
Fox - Got stuck in but was exposed to rice campbell too much

Wright - Very very poor
K Taylor - my MOTM, got stuck in, was everywhere, got forward well
Osborn - The usual
Standing - The usual
Wrack - The less said the better, actually no, USELESS

Fryatt - Brilliant run for first goal but seemed to tire, some brilliant runs and touches

Sub:

Leitao : Came on for wright and did the battling wright couldnt manage, and of course scored winner

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:56 pm

how many times did we look like drawing a game and lose it? Lets hope we are now willing to fight right to the death. OK we didnt deserve to win the game outright but who cares? We beat a team just from the championship and we didnt have smith,staunton or westwood :D

Danny Fox was my MOTM today great tackles in the box and some good passing at times. Kris Taylor was a close second, great effort with that lob, that the keeper just managed to get to.

Before the game I gave Butler the benefit of the doubt after his efforts 2 years ago to keep us up but for what he done today proves hes an idiot. I'd use a stronger word but kids do read this site :)

6 wins on the trot, BRING ON THE FOREST!

redalways

Will get better

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:09 pm

My worry was the back four, but they coped very well. For someone so inexperienced, and against a pacy opponent, Fox earned MOM for me. Bennett hardly put a foot wrong.

Fryatt and Jorge looked bright, especilly Fryatt for the first goal.

The problem area was midfield. Without effective width, the centre trio found it hard to get the passing game going.Wrack has to step down, he has got to work harder and be more positive.

Against the negative Megson on Tuesday we should switch to 442.

9 points by next Saturday - Champion, the dream lives on

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Well it was a game i find really difficult to some up. Missed the first goal, i knew i shouldn't have had that last pint. Rotherham fan kept me talking in the pub. Just walking in as we scored. Should have been 2-0. Taylor really should have done better when stood right in front of the goal. Hit the keeper with his shot.

Neither side deserved to win, first half i think we just edged it, second half they defintatley had more control of the game, but with out ever hurting us, or looking like hurting us for that matter.

The back 4 where pretty good considering, Bennett played a decent game for me, gerrard was steady, little bit lacking height with those two i think though. Fox was the best of the back 4 tackled hard, stuck to his man, was mighty good in the air to.

Midfield, Wrack was everything i have come to expect, looked like he would rather be somewhere else. Wright tried , but was equally as poor. Central trio, i thought standing had a poor game, some have said he was ok, but i thought he went through the motions a little, Osborn, not as good as some say, but stuck to his task all game long. Taylor, best of the 3, battled all game, scored one, could have had 3.

Matty showed flashes of what he can do, but it is a tireless job on your own up front. To many balls to chase, which isn't his game.

Jorge came on for Wright, played down the right wing, which i thought was stupid, he looked sharp, tracked back well, usuall high work rate, oh and he got the late winner.

To early to make any judgement, we got the three points, it's best left at that i think, until we see a bit more of them.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm

Personally its important for me to point out how useless and ineffective wrack is and is becoming

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:42 pm

Wrack was desperately disappointing today, even by the low standards he has set him self of late. The problem being who can take his place ? Thats the big worry for me

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:49 pm

Another point was the ref, as predicted was abysmal

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:27 pm

I thought the defence was excellent. Bennett and Gerrard showed lots of experience even though they have very little. Fox looked good.
Fryatt was superb, what a different player from last season. His touch, skill and general performance was outstanding. Admire him while you can because playing like that he isnt going to be there long.
Wrack and Wright USELESS. Osborn, Standing and Taylor average, all 3 too lightweight. I will be glad when Smith starts thats for sure, we need some bite in midfield, Osborn, Standing and Taylor can not nip, let alone bite.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote: Rotherham fan kept me talking in the pub. Neither side deserved to win, first half i think we just edged it,

How many pints did you have? Just edged the first half? After our goal and the Taylor effort we did nothing for the whole of the first half. We hardly had a kick in midfield. In the second half we were more in the game, but Rotherham were by far the better side generally. Did their goalkeeper make a single save in the match?

We were very very lucky today. Good performances from Fox and Taylor, but Wright and Wrong (or Wrack and Wruin) were wrubbish.

WS1
UTS Regular

Well Done the LADS.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:23 pm

Considering only Pead had experience in the back four I thought the defence was superb.

Bennett and Gerrard any danger booting the ball in to row Z.

Fox impressed and really got stuck in, so did Kris Taylor.

Magic stuff from Fryatt for the first goal.

Dirty sod Butler for his foul on Oakes.

Referee just a twerp, if he had cautioned players early on the game would have not been so niggley.

I thought a draw would have been a fair result but has my mate said to me revenge is sweet after our last meeting and he loved singing "Butler Butler what's the score" has he trooped towards the tunnel.

The look on our supporters face's at the final whistle was

Priceless.

My final thoughts are do we play Westwood from the start if so who do we drop to bring him in.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Well Done the LADS.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:54 pm

WS1 wrote:Considering only Pead had experience in the back four I thought the defence was superb.

Bennett and Gerrard any danger booting the ball in to row Z.

Fox impressed and really got stuck in, so did Kris Taylor.

Magic stuff from Fryatt for the first goal.

Dirty sod Butler for his foul on Oakes.

Referee just a twerp, if he had cautioned players early on the game would have not been so niggley.

I thought a draw would have been a fair result but has my mate said to me revenge is sweet after our last meeting and he loved singing "Butler Butler what's the score" has he trooped towards the tunnel.

The look on our supporters face's at the final whistle was

Priceless.

My final thoughts are do we play Westwood from the start if so who do we drop to bring him in.

Bennett for me

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:06 pm

Bernie wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote: Rotherham fan kept me talking in the pub. Neither side deserved to win, first half i think we just edged it,

How many pints did you have? Just edged the first half? After our goal and the Taylor effort we did nothing for the whole of the first half. We hardly had a kick in midfield. In the second half we were more in the game, but Rotherham were by far the better side generally. Did their goalkeeper make a single save in the match?

We were very very lucky today. Good performances from Fox and Taylor, but Wright and Wrong (or Wrack and Wruin) were wrubbish.

Bout 6 pints i think, wasn't really counting. 5 is a minimum to watch the lads play. Bennett will be left out for westwood, shame cos the lad did well today, nice to have a bit of competition for places, shame we don't have a bit more cover for the wings.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:41 am

I think most readers who did not get to Rovrum will get an overall impression from the above postings. For my tenpennorth:-

Oakes:- generally sound, couldn't be faulted for the goal (excellent header from our favourite Miller!)

Defence:- rarely in trouble; the goal= Wrack gave ball away in midfield, Pead skinned by Deon Burton who crossed superbly (Wright/Wrack please note) and Butler got away from Bennett for about the only time in the match to head home.
Pead had a poor first half (wild clearances, etc.) apart from one superb goal-line clearance. He was a lot better after the interval when he was playing right in front of the Walsall bench! The other 3 all played well.

Midfield:- our big problem; I would agree that Kris Taylor was the best of a pretty uninspiring bunch. With 5 players there, we have the quantity but NOT the quality. Just as Coventry's 4 had the better of our 5, so, to a lesser extent, did Rotherham's 4. If we accept that Osborn is excused anything remotely resembling work or running, then the other 4 have to get forward to support our lone striker. Taylor did so but only in fits and starts. Too often, the game passed him by. Even more so in the case of Standing. He is a gifted player with the ball at his feet but he cannot defend to save his life. The less said about Wrack and Wright, the better. Suffice to say their combined contribution was zero.

Fryatt:- felt sorry for the lad; worked like a Trojan but was marked by two 6 ft+ gorillas so what did we do? Why, boot high balls up to him, of course!!!! When we played the ball on the ground, early in the second half, we looked well in control. Why don't we play to OUR strengths instead of the opposition's?

Our best players were the five youngest, Gerrard, Fox, Bennett, Fryatt and Taylor (which must be very encouraging). Over all, a draw would have been a fair score but hey, who's complaining (apart from a few thousand Rotherham fans
:D )? Bring on Forest and Southend.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:28 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Bout 6 pints i think, wasn't really counting. 5 is a minimum to watch the lads play.

We've not been THAT bad for some time :wink:

Excellent away result to start the season, in a game I feared the worst for us in. Good to beat the newcomers and show them that League One ain't a cake walk for the recently dropped.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:06 am

Excellent result, especially after the way they took the p*** out of us when we got sent down.

What goes around, comes around.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:20 am

One very important point here and that is, Oakes is a very very brave man. After being knocked out following the 50-50 challenge with Butler he continued to go for all the "hospital balls"

I was very impressed with this aspect of his game

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:48 am

sj wrote:One very important point here and that is, Oakes is a very very brave man. After being knocked out following the 50-50 challenge with Butler he continued to go for all the "hospital balls"

I was very impressed with this aspect of his game

Totally disagree. He was not knocked out by Butler. If there had been the briefest loss of consciousness there is not the slightest chance that our physio or their doctor would allow him to continue. He had a slight knock and made it into an episode of Casualty.

From the warm up Oakes gave the impression that he would rather be anywhere else. His body language shows him to be a very nervous player. As for going for the "hospital balls" I did not see him go for a cross when there was any challenge.

On the other hand is certainly the best goalkeeper we have had since Jimmy Walker left.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:56 am

Bernie he was out cold. You may find this a little strange but I had my binoculars with me and I was able to see his face. I tell ya he was in dream-land. I know I could see.

andy__vh

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:02 am

Fantastic day out! just got back! the lads were brilliant. Not much to be added to whats been said.

Fox - I thought had a fantastic game against a player who we would all love to have here!! What a difference Campbell-Ryce is compared to our Darren Wrack. If we could add anyone to the squad this type of player would definately transform us to a top 3 team for sure

Butler - Couldnt stand the way he celebrated in front of the walsall fans. Winding us up the little B@s*&^!

Ref - What a joke. Gave everything to Rotherham. They had 5-6 high feet and gave nothing we had one and it was a free kick. They had a two footed challenge seconds before our yellow card and mins before the other. When Wright got brought down when clear - got to be a yellow for me, red if more central. I could carry on but i wont as we won and all that can be forgotten!!!!!!!!!!

WFC- pride of the midlands

PreviousNext
Return to 2005-06 Season