Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United-Saturday 6th August 05-(A)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:01 pm

sj wrote:Bernie he was out cold. You may find this a little strange but I had my binoculars with me and I was able to see his face. I tell ya he was in dream-land. I know I could see.

If you are right then our physio and their doctor went directly against all the recommendations:

This is from one of many similar sites detailing how to treat concussion involving any loss of consciousness:

Grade 3
Symptoms: ANY (seconds or minutes) loss of consciousness
Recommendations: get player to emergency room; perform immediate neurological examination and at daily intervals. After a brief (seconds) Grade 3 concussion, athletes should not return to play for one week after symptoms have cleared up.

If Oakes had any loss of consciousness then he suffered a grade 3 concussion. He would have been taken to hospital, given a brain scan and not allowed on a football field for a week. I think the medics who saw Oakes realised that what he needed was counselling.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:32 pm

Bernie--- Perhaps you are right then. What do others think who were there?

Dumb

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:48 pm

oakes - looked out cold, clearly dazed a bit afterwards but if he had have been unconscious, he wouldnt have been allowed to stay on..cant believe someone said he looked nervous, he inspired me with confidence and claimed a few crosses n all

pead - doubted him last season, briliant today, cleared almost certain goal ff the line, had no cover but defended really well

fox - scared that he might get sent off but love his whole heartedness, he's an out and out defender like gerrard and you could see how much the goal meant to him at the end

bennett and gerrard - both steady, gerrard wins everything in the air and bennett cant half tackle..just ask martin butler

taylor, also scared he might be shown red, took his frustration out on their number 15, should have scored when clean through but got one goal, always willing to try his look on goal and finally looks to be one of the first choices in midfield

osborn - quiet but steady, 1 great ball with outside of his foot

standing - more responsibility as captain, played deeper?? well less runs forward anyway

wright - tried at first, didn't get much of the ball, lost some confidence, booed a bit, lost all confidence, subbed, shame cos pace wouldnt have given us an outlet

wrack - watched an old video the other day when he took people on and scored from distance...maybe i should lend it him, remind him that he's not a bad player when he can be arsed... at the moment i hate him because he can't b arsed, all those fans paid money to travel there and he can't be bothered to try for us... i wish he'd left us...

fryatt - full of confidence at start, ran em ragged, tired towards the end, was funny watching sometimes, there'd be a long ball up to him (merson : "we're a footballing side") 3 defenders dwarfing matty, and somehow he'd emerge with the ball

leitao - chased well, unfamiliar right wing role, flukey goal, twas a cross but who cares.. WE WON

millmoor - a dump, posts in the way, balls going outta the stadium... hehe just like bescot. paid £17 grrrrr

the ref n linesmen - dressed in dingle-ite black n yella...homers / homos if ever i saw em

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:49 pm

I don't think they would have allowed Oakes to play on if he had been concussed but it was a really nasty collision and I was surprised (but delighted) when he decided to brave it. Probably had a couple of aspirin at half time. That said, after the incident the only time he was troubled was the one which was cleared off the line. That apart, he had excellent protection from the defence who really stuck to their guns up against more experienced players.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:54 pm

Fairly impressed yesterday - I think it is important that we don't do post-mortems on our performances too early this season. There is time for us to gel, and as long as we get the rub of the green a few more times this season than last (just like yesterday), we can look towards the play-offs.
There are plenty of positives to take from yesterday - however, the concerns still linger. I'll address the concerns later, but we can take an impressive and relatively assured debut from Fox, a future partnership of Gerrard and Bennett blossoming, the potential of the likes of Kris Taylor, and the ability that Fryatt has to absolutely terrify any centre half in our league.

Oakes - Carried on bravely. The best keeper we have had since Walker. Still worried about his distribution, but his positioning is good, he is a fine shot stopper and he isn't afraid to go in for a challenge. Top marks for carrying on as he did yesterday - but would agree with Bernie, if he had have been knocked out at all (or if he'd have admitted to being knocked out) he would have had to have been taken off, and would have been out of Tuesday's game and next Saturday. He wasn't put into the 'recovery' position by anyone, including Whitney and the Rotherham physio and doctor. So I'm guessing it was just a heavy daze and a heavy knock.

Pead - Fine on the ball and in the tackle - however, his positioning leaves a lot to be desired. With Wright or Wrack (not sure who gave the ball away), he was at fault for their goal as he was absolutely no where. It meant Gerrard was pulled out of the middle, leaving Fox and Bennett with 3 players to watch. Great stop on the line for a certain goal, and improved in the second half.
Gerrard - Assured, and not at fault for their goal. He was let down by Pead and Wrack or Wright. I thought he handled the experienced threat of Burton and Butler very well. Burton was only really noticable in the build up to their goal, which is testament to Gerrard.
Bennett - Typically strong in the tackle and he revelled in his position of responsibility at the back. Is clearly learning from someone like Westwood, as I don't think he stopped talking all game yesterday. As Leamore said, the only time Butler got away from him was when he scored. And even then it took a fantastic header from Butler to get the goal.
Fox - Could turn in to a decent little player for us. He was the biggest concern I had in the build up to the game, however, he coped with the pace of Campbell-Ryce very well, only being beaten once or twice. Also, when Wrack could be bothered, they worked well together, often doubling up the tricky winger.

Osborn - Didn't move much out of the centre, but was solid when called upon. Constantly harried their midfield when in possesion, and he was vitally important for everyone around him, keeping them on their toes - particularly when decisions began to become rasher and rasher.
Standing - Looks so impressive when on the ball. He has got the ability to drop his shoulder and take a couple of players out of the game at once. Created a couple of chances that perhaps should have been converted. Performed well as captain.
Wrack - At times he looked like the Wracky we know. At times he was busy and worked well with Fox and Pead. However, in the main he looked overweight, lazy and simply not bothered. There was no urgency on his part as there was in every other position on the pitch. Too often he was second to the ball when really his experience should have taken over. So many people were asking "3 years?" and stratching their heads. Not surprising really...
Wright - Not his best game. Only beat his man once or twice and posed no real threat to Rotherham.
Taylor - My man of the match. Very busy and looked decent in the 'Surman' role. He got in to plenty of good positions, and wasn't afraid to have a shot on goal when there was nothing else on, instead of running in to a culdesac like so many of our players have and do.

Fyratt - Looked in great shape and tore Rotherham apart for our first goal, and again a couple of minutes later. Only suffered when we inexplicably started to play long ball, as he was being marked by two neanderthals of centre halfs. As was the case at times last season, the defence had no answer to him when he got the ball at his feet and ran at them.

Leitao - Busy and totally committed. The goal was a bit of a fluke - but its about time we got those things going for us!

sj
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:12 pm

jorge 14 Oakes was put into the recovery position, I saw it.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:16 pm

I am not knocking Oakes when I say he looked nervous. Some of the best players are really nervous before games, remember how the old Everton goalie Gordon West used to be sick in a bucket before most games. Oakes did the job where it matters and could prove to be a very good signing.

He needs to work on his distribution because I think it did us no favours. Was it a deliberate ploy to kick so many to the head of Darren Wrack on the touchline? If so we need to think again because he lost the ball every time.

Stalky

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Stalky wrote:I agree 100% with Neil (for a change!) I think that the best we will get will be a draw - I too am going for 1 - 1, Butler and Kris Taylor. In my heart I hope for better, but my head keeps telling me otherwise.

OK Jorge, I forgive you for messing up my prediction! My heart was right after all.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:36 pm

I was at yesterdays game,and everythiing as been said before me,except one thing this was a match we would have lost last season,I cannot give enough credit to the defence,they battled for 90 minutes,even wene the heat was on they did'nt even look like buckling,in my opinium Bennett only played because of suspensions,and he and Gerrard both were fantastic,its great whate a bit of competion can do wene your given a chance, and one last thing PM has to something about Wrack,we cannot afford to play against Forrest with only 10 men,because that,s all we've got wene he is on the pitch.he needs dropping now,and hope this gives him a wake-up call.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:02 pm

Agree with most of the above from Saddler Jim and in my opinion a good performance with plenty to build on a great result at the end.
POSITIVES
The Defence - Was my main worry before the game but came through it well considering their inexperience.Had a very shaky spell from Oakes' injury through to HT partly because they couldn't pass it back to Oakes and partly because the midfield couldn't keep the ball to keep pressure off.

K Taylor - Has to be given the chance to become a regular.He could have had 3 in the 1st half and was still getting forward at the end.Could become a 10 goal + midfielder and we need a few of those if we are to continue with 451.

NEGATIVES

Wright - Offered little in either midfield or attack.Doesn't appear to know whether he should be playing in midfield or as a winger when he probably should be half and half.Replaced by Jorge for Forest ?

Wrack - I can't remember his last decent game.Needs dropping to give him the kick up the backside he needs and to show that NOBODY should be an automatic choice

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:31 pm

Like a lot before me I thought, before the game, that our nursery school aged defence would lack the necessary experience to cope and be our eventual downfall. How wrong could I be ? They all looked fine and like they'd played together for years. A special mention to Fox who I thought was immense.

Fryatt looked sharp and really up for it. Caused havoc in their defence for Taylors goal.

My big worry is the lack of support offered to the lone striker from the heavily populated midfield. With 5 strung across the middle of the park it shouldn't be too difficult to commit 2 of them forward to support the attacks. Too many times there were balls played in to Fryatt only for the 5 in midfield to stand and watch while he battled alone. We must get players forward and join the attack, basically becoming a 4-3-3 formation whilst we're in possesion in and around their area.

Wrack was an absolute disgrace (and I don't care if the happy clappers find that distastfeul or unloyal). If he can't be bothered to put 100% in then he may as well sling his hook now. I won't be so scathing about Wright because at least he tries. However if trying was all you needed to do to be a footballer then most of us would be playing. The lad just has not got what it takes however much we all wish different.

Great to put one over Butler. I'd given him the benefit of the doubt prior to the game but after his assault on Oakes (which would have resulted in a 6 month stretch if done on the street) I took it as "open season". Never have I enjoyed a "Butler what's the score ?" chant more 8)

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:09 pm

I already posted my reaction to the game, but that was only one hour after it, so here is some more, 29 hours after it. There were positives and negatives yesterday.

The positives:
We beat what I thought was a pretty strong team. Campbell-Rice and Butler are two of the better players in the league.
Our defence was solid. I didn't go to any of the friendlies but was worried by some of the comments about Fox, but he was great.
Fryatt looked sharper and stronger than I've ever seen him before.
It took us one game and not 25 (or whatever it was) to win away this season.
Merson made an astute substitution and the substitute, Leitao, looked to be in great shape, battling like the Jorge of old
We've still got Smith and Westwood (and Staunton) to come

The negatives:
The ease with which they scored their equaliser (which you could see coming from a mile off) was worrying
The midfield did quite well at supporting the defence (despite the above comment) but did little to support the attack, which it has to do if we're only playing with one striker. Taylor did well and seemed to be everywhere but frequently Standing, who should have been doing a similar job, seemed to be nowhere. The two wide men were awful. Wright plainly tried his heart out and it didn't come off for him yesterday. Wrack gave the impression of a man who's just signed a three year contract and so doesn't give a toss how he plays.

Great to make it six wins on the trot and I can't wait till Tuesday.

Previous
Return to 2005-06 Season