Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Manchester United XI-Saturday 31st July-(H)

Reports and reaction from the 2005-06 season as Walsall finished 24th (R) in League 1
RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Manchester United XI-Saturday 31st July-(H)

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Predictions for the game people? im going for 2-2 with westwood n larossa scoring the goals. Roy Keane to get sent off too :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:38 pm

im going for 2-1 to us Larossa and Leitao again and keane for united.

polska

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:39 pm

4-0 walsall leito, lorrossa ,westwood and wrack.att:5700

Ace

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:08 pm

polska wrote:att:5700

Sure about that mate?

Shad

Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:12 pm

Id susoect around 5,000- Mainly down to Keane appeal. Oh and 2-1 Walsall.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:16 pm

I'll go for a 2-1 for Walsall to..

Goals: Wrack & K.Taylor

Giza

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:23 pm

result 4 - 2 to Man U.
Goals from Wrack & Leitao.

We had a poor game. Some shocking defending and sloppy play, 3rd goal conceeded was a joke Coleman caught off his line and a freak shot direct from the kick off looped over him, oh well he will learn.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:49 pm

It was the 4th goal they scored straight from the kick off. Hope that Coleman has learned from this.

I thought Standing was our man of the match in a lack lustre performance. Fox looks like he might be a good signing. Gerrard was OK. I thought Bennett looked ponderous on the ball. Leitao was OK but got little service. Larossa got no service at all. "The kid with no number" tried but to little reward.

Playing against 2 19's and 2 20's suggests the Mancs can't count past 20.

r_a_perks

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:17 pm

Was I the only one that thought we looked very good in the first half - well, at least the midfield?

We seemed to be up their end a lot more than they were attacking us.

Our defence seemed petrified and scared to touch the girl.

oh, and roy Keane has a higher voice than my girlfriend

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:24 pm

I think today proved why we have signed Paul Smith, Kinsella is way past his best. Got caught out of position unteen times.
Pead was awful so was Bennett. When Jules finally finds out when he's out of position and can rectify it he will be a star player.
Mr Darren Wrack got beaten to the ball by none other than Roy Keane and Wracky had a 10 yard advantage!

The Plus Points- Standing MOTM tiredless running, especially the one where he took 5 players on before just being tackled when he was about to shoot.
I thought Fox was OK and so was Gerrard. Jorge looks a little more lighter than last season so thats got to be a plus point.

Guess tuesday will be more of a game, so many players didnt bother trying today.

Anyone else notice Merse wasnt around until 75 mins?, wonder where he was.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:35 pm

I'd largely agree with that summing up, wfc. Hall of Fame mentions go to Standing (class), Gerrard (solid), Lee Vaughan (did better than Fox in my opinion) and Jorge (worked hard).

Hall of Shame for Bennett, Pead, Kinsella and Wrack. The first two looked all nerves, and I expect so much more from Kinsella and Wrack.

For those who bait and hate Simon Osborn, I hope you were there today. Without Westwood at the back, and Ossie in the middle, I thought we looked second rate. My MOTM was Standing. He is proving to be quite a player.

Not a lot to be learned from today. :(

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Sorry wfc - Merse was there for the whole match. He sat by Jeff Bonser for the first half and my son got his autograph after 20 mins or so. He then stood in front of us in the Fellows stand leaning against the dug out making the substitutions and talking to Ossie.

MrC

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:24 pm

A bit of a bore really - but it served its purpose. It brought in 3,500 paying punters for what was, in effect, a reserve match, and gave Merse a look at Gerrard and Bennett as a centre half pairing.

Not overly impressed by anyone really.

Oakes - Solid enough, was let down by woeful marking for a couple of goals.
Pead - Looked poor against the pace of Martin, but otherwise solid enough.
Fox - My biggest worry. Lacks positional responsibility, and doesn't seem to link up too well with Wrack. Both Wrack and Fox looked better when Wrack and Wright swapped wings.
Gerrard - Didn't look confident at all in the first half, but settled down before he was subbed.
Bennett - Was reckless is some tackles (one in particular in the 2nd half would have been a straight red in a 'real' game). Could have played much better. Misses the influence of an experienced head alongside him I feel.

Wrack - A poor performance really. Scored after some really nice build up play, but otherwise looked lazy and lethargical. Is it me, or does 3 years give too much of a comfort zone at our level?
Kinsella - Solid enough, didn't reach anything like his best. I disagree with whoever says he is passed it, positionally and passing wise, he was head and shoulders above our midfield.
Wright - Nice performance, but why does he ALWAYS cut inside when he is running with the ball? He has acres along the wing every time because of the nature of our formation, but he never uses it.
Standing - My man of the match. Went of a beautiful run in the first half which went through about 6 united players, and was only let down by a lack of movement from Wrack, Leitao and Taylor.
Taylor - Busy enough, but not as effective as last Tuesday night.

Leitao - Took his goal well after a bit of calamity from McShane (I think). Worked hard, but no way can he be a lone striker.

Subs:
Broad - The Ultimate pro didn't do alot.
Vaughan - Has the touch of the proverbial rapist. Not at all impressed.
Coleman - He will NEVER not pay attention from a kick off again. At least the rookie mistakes are happening now rather than when he is called upon in the proper games.
Dann - Got a touch, unlike is his last (and only) appearence in a senior game.
Larrossa - Similar to the Cov game, tried to get involved but was uneffective. And he didn't score from 40 yards today.
Deakin - Put himself about. Quite impressed by his eagerness, and didn't mind going into a tackle with Keane, which is more than most of our midfield can say.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:35 pm

Oakes - did ok, no chance with any of the goals

Pead - IMO this was his worst game for us, but I hear he's getting over an injury so i'll forgive one below par performance.

Gerrard - A very competent performance against an awkward, bustling, big centre forward (Cooper), and made a number of important tackles.

Bennett - Got caught/dragged out of position too often for my liking

Fox - gave away possession a few times, but did ok in his defensive work.

Wrack - bit of a headless chicken at times and doesnt always use the best options available to him when in possession.

Kinsella - doesnt seem match fit at the mo, but no suprise with the injury problems he's had in the last year. Prefer Osborn though!

Wright - had a decent game I thought.

Standing - Man of the match for me, looked very confident and had their defence worried on a few occassions.

Taylor - superb passer and looked up for it against some of his former team mates.

Leitao - looks fitter than he has done for a few seasons now, deserved his goal.

SUBS:

Ruuuuuuuuben - I think he'll come good, looked as if he's still trying to adapt to our style of play, needs more time.

Broad - did ok, competent enough

Vaughan - First time I've seen him (I think!) made one cracking tackle, didnt do much else for me.

Deakin - did well I thought, always tried to get forward to support Larossa.

Coleman - Made a good save, shame he was caught napping for the freak goal, he'll learn though.

Dann - looked ok

Platt - I quite liked the look of him, superb cross for Wracky's goal.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:05 pm

I'd agree with most of the above KJC. One thing that annoys me about Standing (who I think has been brilliant in pre season) is his reluctance to shoot when in some great position, most created by himself.

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:24 pm

Pity that Staffler fluffed nearly all his lines.

Best one was when he announced Joe Broad as replacing Oakes.

Very professional.

:lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 pm

No axe to grind there, eh Zip ?

Zippy
Glitterati

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:28 pm

Dave Roe wrote:No axe to grind there, eh Zip ?

Just an observation, that's all.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Zippyzip wrote:

Criticising club staff again ? Tut, tut

Zippy
Glitterati

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:37 pm

Dave Roe wrote:
Zippyzip wrote:

Criticising club staff again ? Tut, tut

As if I'd do a thing like that.

Dear, oh dear.

Return to 2005-06 Season